More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Post by pissontheroof »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:38 am
ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:31 am Lots of boarded up shop spaces in the mall. But I can't get the images out of mind from all the videos showing a ghost city with filthy streets and empty buildings.

Good luck, Jamie, rebuilding Sville from your great memories of the past. :wink:
the fact SHV now has a cinema is amazing hahaha when i lived there the only cinema was just a dingy room with a sofa and bean bags playing pirated dvds
I remember that place because I never went , I had them put movies on my stick and watched them in my room I had for 5 years at the beach road hotel next door but thank god ( if there was one ) that now I heard they do have a Burger King , a d of corse mikes burgers
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

pissontheroof wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:28 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:38 am
ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:31 am Lots of boarded up shop spaces in the mall. But I can't get the images out of mind from all the videos showing a ghost city with filthy streets and empty buildings.

Good luck, Jamie, rebuilding Sville from your great memories of the past. :wink:
the fact SHV now has a cinema is amazing hahaha when i lived there the only cinema was just a dingy room with a sofa and bean bags playing pirated dvds
I remember that place because I never went , I had them put movies on my stick and watched them in my room I had for 5 years at the beach road hotel next door but thank god ( if there was one ) that now I heard they do have a Burger King , a d of corse mikes burgers
yeah theres a burger king now at the mall near victory hill
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am
truffledog wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:20 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:15 am
Most of the past 2 years i was based in Thailand,
During 2020 i was still living in Thailand in January, then i started to float about,
End of Jan i flew to Philippines for a week to go check it out (never been)
i then flew to Cambodia beginning of Feb for GenMacs engagement (went to PP, Battambong and SHV)
i then flew back to Thailand cleared out my apartment and moved to the Philippines Feb/March but then all the lockdowns started,
i escaped Philippines a few days before they closed the airports,
flew back to England, where 2 weeks later was locked down there, and was stuck there for just over 7 months
What kind of experience did you make in the Philippines?
i was up in Angeles, actually quite enjoyed it there, cheap and chilled
Did you visit subic bay ? Otherwise known as cock suck city ? The lord knows I need one of those
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

pissontheroof wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am
truffledog wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:20 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:15 am
Most of the past 2 years i was based in Thailand,
During 2020 i was still living in Thailand in January, then i started to float about,
End of Jan i flew to Philippines for a week to go check it out (never been)
i then flew to Cambodia beginning of Feb for GenMacs engagement (went to PP, Battambong and SHV)
i then flew back to Thailand cleared out my apartment and moved to the Philippines Feb/March but then all the lockdowns started,
i escaped Philippines a few days before they closed the airports,
flew back to England, where 2 weeks later was locked down there, and was stuck there for just over 7 months
What kind of experience did you make in the Philippines?
i was up in Angeles, actually quite enjoyed it there, cheap and chilled
Did you visit subic bay ? Otherwise known as cock suck city ? The lord knows I need one of those
no i just had an apartment in Balibago, so just chilled out around there
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Golden Lion Roundabout 2007

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 am Golden Lion Roundabout 2007

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were you there back then Jamie, did you frequent Oceans hotel?
He ended up set up & run out of Cam.
Pole dancing stage on the rooftop bar!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Public Beach, Lake Made Private at Government Orders
6 min read
Mech Dara and Danielle Keeton-Olsen

SIHANOUKVILLE — If you encounter a guard, they will kick you out and take your wares, says Chhum Om, as she scrapes her small ceramic grill in preparation for another day trying to sell enough prawns and squid to keep up with rent payments.

A series of state land deals are slicing up valuable corners of Preah Sihanouk province to benefit powerful individuals in Cambodia: the prime minister’s family; businesses linked to tycoon Ly Yong Phat and the Prince conglomerate shareholders; the National Police chief and numerous others.

A lake is being turned into a development site, with local residents’ homes dismantled, while a coastal bay is in the process of becoming landfill. More than a dozen government-issued sub-decrees, visits to the tracts of land in question, and interviews with residents, officials and observers paint a picture of the province’s land developments as being deeply entwined with the country’s power structures.

For now, Om, 50, sells grilled seafood from a vendors’ patio next to Independence Beach, where she crouches on the sidewalk in between the plastic chairs and tables of bigger shack restaurants. Guards recently stopped vendors from selling at the beach next to the nearby Sokha Hotel, and she has heard rumors that their stands in the shadow of Independence Hotel could also be banned.

“If they close here, we don’t know where to go,” she says. “Closing the beach is like closing the poor.”

One of Cambodia’s biggest conglomerates was handed some 6 hectares of beach and lake on prime Sihanoukville land after the company made a donation to the city’s road renovation. But the vendors at the beach argue that the now-privatized coast and wetlands still have public value.

Among a number of sub-decrees privatizing and gifting Preah Sihanouk province’s degraded forest land, the Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation received a 24,652 square meter strip of beach in September 2019, after the government changed the state public area into private.

Two months later, the government privatized 34,666 square meters of Boeng Prek Tob lake, which faces Independence Hotel, and transferred it to OCIC.

Beachside land is worth roughly $2,500 to $3,000 per square meter, according to Ross Wheble, country director of real estate firm Knight Frank. The total value of the two plots could be as high as $178 million.

Under the Land Law, beaches and lakes are supposed to remain state land, as they’re deemed valuable to the public. However the November 2019 sub-decree hints at the government’s rationale for revoking public access, stating the land was given in exchange for OCIC’s donation to the state-led Sihanoukville road development project. Late last year, government spokesperson Phay Siphan explained that this was the government’s current strategy to make up for budgetary shortfalls.

Chaired by tycoon Pung Kheav Se, OCIC operates in close proximity to Prime Minister HE as well as prominent Chinese state and private companies. The company is responsible for some of the country’s most ambitious construction projects in the capital, including massive landfilling on two Mekong River islands, Koh Pich and Koh Norea, as well a new international airport and city spanning thousands of hectares in Kandal and Takeo provinces.

A project manager working with OCIC said he did not know about the company’s developments in Sihanoukville and would not refer reporters to another source. An assistant to Kheav Se did not respond to emailed questions. OCIC’s plans for the beach and lake land are unclear.
Full article: https://vodenglish.news/public-beach-la ... nt-orders/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Just when you think it can't get any worse, think again. Cambodia could be the poster child for how to fuck up a beach, a city, hell an entire country. What next!?
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

johnny lightning wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:50 am Just when you think it can't get any worse, think again. Cambodia could be the poster child for how to fuck up a beach, a city, hell an entire country. What next!?
Just wait until they turn their attention to the islands :(
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sihanoukville video, posted 6 May 2021:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic