More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Post by Anchor Moy »

King Keil wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:22 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:42 pm one place i will never return to ,
with all the Chinese money leaving, will all these buildings just sit half finished?
There is a possibility that they finish it at one point in the future. Why not go back then? There even might be an oversupply on rooms which could lead to reasonable hotel prices.
It's fugly. So fugly that it cant be fixed without a major earthquake, preferably with a tsunami to clean it up.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:30 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:42 pm one place i will never return to ,
with all the Chinese money leaving, will all these buildings just sit half finished?
There is a possibility that they finish it at one point in the future. Why not go back then? There even might be an oversupply on rooms which could lead to reasonable hotel prices.
It's fugly. So fugly that it cant be fixed without a major earthquake, preferably with a tsunami to clean it up.
It wasn't really the prettiest place before either :) Some westeners have already returned back.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Indeed, and hence cheaper coz you won't have to purchase a return airline ticket to China to see a Chinaville. And no extra visa fees too.. :hattip:
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

rogerrabbit wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:49 pm
It wasn't really the prettiest place before either :) Some westeners have already returned back.
Really? I don't remember Ochheuteal beach like this: :stir:

ImageImage
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

it was never that good, even back in 2006-2009, I think last time i was there was 2015 and only spent the night to see friends> It wont ever have the lawlessness/uniqueness it had back than, no matter if they finish the massive amount of hotels or not.
and to go somewhere cause there are cheap rooms, is not a reason i travel...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:54 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:49 pm
Really? I don't remember Ochheuteal beach like this: :stir:

ImageImage
haha more barangs now every day and less chinese!
lots of russians coming back now they seen chinese leaving......
never be the same, such a shame
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:03 pm
it was never that good, even back in 2006-2009, I think last time i was there was 2015 and only spent the night to see friends> It wont ever have the lawlessness/uniqueness it had back than, no matter if they finish the massive amount of hotels or not.
and to go somewhere cause there are cheap rooms, is not a reason i travel...
Absolutely, it was a shithole with a lot of weirdos from my perspective but for a few days with friends at independence (small shack) quite nice.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The demise of Sihanoukville: Why we no longer travel there
written by Intrepid Travel January 15, 2020

If you want to see the face of overtourism, take a plane to Phnom Penh and catch a bumpy five-hour bus to Sihanoukville – a once-sleepy town on a little peninsula in the Gulf of Thailand. Sihanoukville is the jewel of Cambodia’s tourism industry. Or at least it used to be.

If you visited Sihanoukville five years ago, you might not recognise it today. The town has been swamped by foreign investment and tourism, mauled by construction. In fact, we’ve just made the difficult decision to stop visiting Sihanoukville altogether. As of this year, it no longer appears on Intrepid’s Cambodian itineraries, which is a terrible shame on so many levels.

We started coming here back in 2007. At that time, Sihanoukville was still a blip on the average tourist’s radar. Serendipity Beach drew a steady crowd of unshaven backpackers, and there were a few bungalows popping up near Otres Beach, but most tour buses still made a bee-line north from Phnom Penh, shuttling visitors back and forth to Siem Reap. Cambodia’s coastline was kind of ignored, especially compared to Thailand’s archipelago, pulsing and flashing just across the Gulf. Sihanoukville was growing, but slowly. If people knew how good it was, they weren’t telling anybody.
https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventur ... noukville/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:38 am The demise of Sihanoukville: Why we no longer travel there
written by Intrepid Travel January 15, 2020

If you want to see the face of overtourism, take a plane to Phnom Penh and catch a bumpy five-hour bus to Sihanoukville – a once-sleepy town on a little peninsula in the Gulf of Thailand. Sihanoukville is the jewel of Cambodia’s tourism industry. Or at least it used to be.

If you visited Sihanoukville five years ago, you might not recognise it today. The town has been swamped by foreign investment and tourism, mauled by construction. In fact, we’ve just made the difficult decision to stop visiting Sihanoukville altogether. As of this year, it no longer appears on Intrepid’s Cambodian itineraries, which is a terrible shame on so many levels.

We started coming here back in 2007. At that time, Sihanoukville was still a blip on the average tourist’s radar. Serendipity Beach drew a steady crowd of unshaven backpackers, and there were a few bungalows popping up near Otres Beach, but most tour buses still made a bee-line north from Phnom Penh, shuttling visitors back and forth to Siem Reap. Cambodia’s coastline was kind of ignored, especially compared to Thailand’s archipelago, pulsing and flashing just across the Gulf. Sihanoukville was growing, but slowly. If people knew how good it was, they weren’t telling anybody.
https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventur ... noukville/
Who the fuck are Intrepid Travel? If they started serving Shv in 2007 they were extremely late to the party, rather than the first. They're also two years too late to write articles whingeing about it being a building site. Thank you, next.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

I stopped reading when it said sihanoukville is/was the jevel of cambodia's tourism industry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic