More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Post by paparazzi »

Prime Minister HE has ordered authorities to end all online and arcade gambling in the Kingdom by the end of this year in a bid to safeguard security and public order. - news media.

I am only guessing but online gambling licenses must start 1st Jan - 31st Dec.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I am only guessing but online gambling licenses must start 1st Jan - 31st Dec
Yes, that is what is reported in the media.
HE’s announcement of the ban on online gambling, which puts an end to the issuance of new licenses and will force all related businesses to close operations by the end of 2019, came days after Cambodian police arrested 127 Chinese nationals in Sihanoukville who were suspected of involvement in an internet scam used to extort funds from Chinese citizens in China.
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 4aKaKPQcK4
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

So the bottles have Chinese text on it I guess? Because this island of trash happens every year. Many times it even hits the shore and usually the trash originates from Thailand or Vietnam.
got a link to substantiate that?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The Gulf of Thailand is a relatively closed loop.
Litter from all surrounding countries ends up in Cambodia.
This is a why the issue needs to be dealt with at local, national and regional level.

If you stopped the litter input at any area of the cambodian coast you would still have large amounts landing on our beaches.
And yes, "islands" of litter do aggregate at sea and often arrive at the beach en-mass.
My guess is that Bangkok alone probably contributes to much of our local beach garbage.

No reason not to address the problem at a local and national level tho'. That must happen in all of the Gulf nations for this massive problem to be remedied.
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by sousadeyy »

Whats the current update on Otres 2? I was there at Christmas last year and it was still functioning with some shacks along the beach and quite a nice holiday, not destroyed. I was thinking of going down at Pchum Ben. Is what we know of Otres 2 still have some charm to it. Or has it been decimated in the name of development?

Grateful for any advice.
nich
Expatriate
Germany

Post by nich »

Status at the village:

Was in March and already changed at lot compared to November last year...
Will see what is left next week
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by sousadeyy »

But isn't Otres village in Otres 1. I am referring to Otres 2.
nich
Expatriate
Germany

Post by nich »

Not sure where the border is....
There have still been some bars at the end of the beach in March.
Can give you further information 25.9.
Quick PM to remind me
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

sousadeyy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:55 pm But isn't Otres village in Otres 1. I am referring to Otres 2.
otres village is otres 2
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Crackers
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Crackers »

Otres 2 still exists and retains a little charm. If you stay in the area around Secret Garden/Naia then it's decent enough. I was there not long ago and had a good time with my family...we are going again at Pchum Benh.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic