More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:30 pm
LaudJohn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:31 am
bucknaked wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:29 am this is the road from Otres leading up to the 2 lions at the end?
Yes, Polaway street.

The photo was probably taken in 2016.
people on fb figure 2014
its 2014 it says on google maps,
but not much serious development went on there until 2018
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

davegorman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:49 am Unlike Jamie to spread spurious info.
You know this picture will turn up again somewhere as “fact”, and if you deny it you must be one of those China lovers (cue Jamie’s Asian gif).

I wonder when Google will go back and do another street view?
It’ll be a real eye opener!
the streetview picture is 2014 but the area in the picture nearest the camera (not the top golden lion end which isnt in view anyway) looked the same as the picture up until 2018, so visually it is right
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 am
davegorman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:49 am Unlike Jamie to spread spurious info.
You know this picture will turn up again somewhere as “fact”, and if you deny it you must be one of those China lovers (cue Jamie’s Asian gif).

the streetview picture is 2014 but the area in the picture nearest the camera (not the top golden lion end which isnt in view anyway) looked the same as the picture up until 2018, so visually it is right
Not really. That area was developing way before that in at least the end of 2016, about the same time Aqua shut.
When you live somewhere permanently you notice every bit of construction and I drove down that road weekly.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

davegorman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:49 am You know this picture will turn up again somewhere as “fact”, and if you deny it you must be one of those China lovers (cue Jamie’s Asian gif).
^
*cough*

Already been shared. Didn’t take long.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

davegorman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:31 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 am

Not really. That area was developing way before that in at least the end of 2016, about the same time Aqua shut.
When you live somewhere permanently you notice every bit of construction and I drove down that road weekly.
Huh??
i lived in SHV up until the end of 2017 when i then moved to PP, but still visited SHV every month,
I was still having my breakfast at Aqua Resort well into 2017
Pubstreet (old golden lion plaza) didnt get knocked down until May 2018
my friends who own Sovannaphoum guesthouse next door to pub street didnt sell to the Chinese until last year and it had not long been knocked down when i last drove past around Xmas time 2018
:unknown:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Here's a comparison of Sihanoukville in 2011 and 2018. It's from Google Earth Pro which is free and has a great timescale. It's not great for provincial centers like this but has some amazing detail on the capital.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:02 am Here's a comparison of Sihanoukville in 2011 and 2018. It's from Google Earth Pro which is free and has a great timescale. It's not great for provincial centers like this but has some amazing detail on the capital.

fuck thats bad man, hideous :(
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I was so pissed when I was told to get out in 4 weeks with 7 months remaining on my lease..in February 2018....
best thing to ever happen... little did I know..
but, I then could not find a decent place in Kampot and settled on a place I ended up hating...
the coast is finished...
my Kampot landlord was so stoked to learn i was moving a month early... instead, of taking my 12th month rent.... and returning my deposit...
he happily gave me my 2 months deposit and did not want the rent for the final month..
I realized that he knew if he took it, I would have the legal right to the place even though I was telling him I was moving...
he had a new guy paying $500/month..
my $300/month lease was small potatoes.
I sure feel for the poor bastard paying $500/month for a place I detested...for a host of reasons..
that map shows why there is no trash service, no water, no power and air pollution...
imagine swimming at Otres 2 now?
I miss the corner bar...
nothing else..
a map of Kampot would be interesting.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:44 am
John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:02 am Here's a comparison of Sihanoukville in 2011 and 2018. It's from Google Earth Pro which is free and has a great timescale. It's not great for provincial centers like this but has some amazing detail on the capital.

fuck thats bad man, hideous :(

It's easy to see how some people are driving around in big luxurious cars if they had owned or had bought property back then , and sold it now.

Which make one wonder,,, should you be buying property there now and selling it in ten years time at ???? sq metre when every building is 40 stories high and it is a bigger, richer, and more prosperous city than PP.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Duncan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:23 am
It's easy to see how some people are driving around in big luxurious cars if they had owned or had bought property back then , and sold it now.

Which make one wonder,,, should you be buying property there now and selling it in ten years time at ???? sq metre when every building is 40 stories high and it is a bigger, richer, and more prosperous city than PP.
I'd say no. A few years ago it was cheap enough to justify the sovereign risk and risk of holding your land in a nominee's name. Now its too expensive to justify taking those risks,imo.
Also, once the khmers have sold everything to foreigners and blown the proceeds, there will be growing resentment against foreign land owners which might force some changes in the laws, or bring on proper enforcement of the land ownership laws, imo.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic