Driving without honking

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Driving without honking

Post by Anchor Moy »

In Nepal, Katmandu have outlawed the use of the horn for all motor vehicles since April. The authorities say its been a big success, but they have fined 11,000 people since the new law came in, so I'm not sure if you can call that successful. Its a pretty radical idea, and what are you supposed to do when there's a dog or cattle on the road ?
In Cambodia I get the feeling that the buses and minivans are honking less and less. Those minivan trips used to be one long honk. :D

'The car horn is uncivilised': how Kathmandu's streets went quiet
When the authorities in Kathmandu outlawed the use of vehicle horns in April, the start of the Nepali year, many expected the ban would go the way of most new year’s resolutions and be quickly forgotten.

But six months later, the streets of the capital remain remarkably quiet. In a city where a horn was widely used as a substitute for a brake, Kathmandu’s drivers appear to have kicked their noisy habit for good.

“To mark the new year we wanted to give something new to the people of Kathmandu,” said Mingmar Lama, the head of the traffic police at the time the ban was introduced. “The horn is a symbol of being uncivilised. We wanted to show the world how civilised we are in Kathmandu.”
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017 ... eets-nepal
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Driving without honking

Post by Kayve »

Double post
Last edited by Kayve on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

I feel honking not that useful in the city, seems that they see you most of the time but just don't care, I use my flashbeam a lot though.

Meanwhile, on "freeway" I do honk a lot when I'm overtaking someone/something.

They have issues enforcing stop at red light, driving on the wrong way of the road or even not wearing helmets. Wonder how they would stop you for honking ? What happens when people honks are the same time ?
Don't forget the water buffalo
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

But civic pride has its limits. Law enforcers have issued almost 11,000 fines for horn use since the ban was introduced. At 500 rupees (£3.60), a fine is roughly a third of what a taxi driver earns in a day, leaving drivers such as Krishna Gopal Maharjan fuming. “We have dogs, cows and tractors crossing the streets, so we need our horns,” he said.

I find this a bit crazy, or just good karma for the driver to sound his horn to warn the dog before he runs it over, dead.
Cows and tractors maybe a different matter.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

On main roads, the moto riders never use their mirrors. They rely on the sound of the horn from bigger vehicles from behind. If the horn failed on a big truck that just comes blasting through it would just plough them off the road. Probably often does but the riders too dead to report it.
I wish the trend of no horns would take off in Vietnam. Might then be a much better place to get run over!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Stupid idea for Cambodia
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

In KL, Malaysia hardly ever hear a horn. But the level of driving courtesy is far far above Cambodia.
But nearly every aspect of civility is elevated by comparison. :hattip:
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I always feel bad when honking near H signs on highways but do it anyhow.
Some while back I was toying with the idea of installing a police siren for improved effectiveness.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Kayve wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:04 pm I feel honking not that useful in the city, seems that they see you most of the time but just don't care, I use my flashbeam a lot though.

Meanwhile, on "freeway" I do honk a lot when I'm overtaking someone/something.

They have issues enforcing stop at red light, driving on the wrong way of the road or even not wearing helmets. Wonder how they would stop you for honking ? What happens when people honks are the same time ?
"Flashbeam"

Hmm. Ok. :thumb:
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I am currently in the honking capital, Vietnam. People honk even if they are alone on the road.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic