Interview with the ex-leader of the opposition

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Interview with the ex-leader of the opposition

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

27 October 2017

Former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) President Sam Rainsy, who has been forced to live in exile since 2015 in the face of questionable defamation charges made against him, has been traveling abroad to lobby world governments to put pressure on Cambodian government to halt Prime Minister HE's harsh crackdown on the opposition ahead of July 2018 elections. He spoke with RFA Khmer Service reporter Chun Chanboth from Rome, Italy on Friday.

RFA: This is the first time you have posed for a picture with some of your former colleagues of the CNRP since the amended law on political parties has come into force. In the video clip you posted today on your Facebook page, you sounded very confident when you announced that the government of Cambodia would not dare to dissolve the CNRP. What factors have contributed to such an affirmative statement?

Sam Rainsy: We have obtained consistent information from several sources. We are now certain that they cannot dissolve the CNRP. As I have previously stated, he who attempts to dissolve the opposition party will be cursed. It has become clear that he knew that he would be destroyed if he continued his ill intention to get rid of the CNRP. He is now in a panic and abandons his intention to dissolve the opposition party.
We are no longer worried about the dissolution of the CNRP. I am no longer of afraid of meeting with CNRP lawmakers. I used to feel that such meetings would serve as a pretext to dissolve the opposition. Even if the party is accused of associating with so-called treason, the ruling party cannot dissolve the opposition.
I therefore trust that they cannot use my association with my former colleagues as an excuse to dissolve the opposition. Now that HE knows that he cannot dissolve the CNRP, he tries to buy off one or two members of the CNRP and make them sew division in the CNRP.
Kem Sokha is now under threats and duress. Those people who take the CPP’s bait then act like they are talking on behalf of Kem Sokha to create confusion and uncertainty among the CNRP’s members and supporters. Fortunately, this ill will is now revealed.

I have to inform the public that the ruling party is retreating now. They are under international pressure to back off. The opposition cannot be divided or bought. We have made our statement that the Permanent Committee of the CNRP is the only decision-making body of the party. Now, two-thirds of that committee’s members are abroad. With that no one can break the CNRP. It’s a great victory for Cambodians who support the opposition party.

RFA: In the statement you made in that (Facebook) video, you indicated that Kem Sokha cannot make any decision due to his being under threats and duress. Are you acting on behalf of Kem Sokha in making decisions for the party?

Sam Rainsy: No, I am not. I am not saying that every statement Kem Sokha makes from his cell is against his will. However we need to verify the veracity of any statement he makes before we accept that it is not made under duress or threats. In the event that Kem Sokha issues an extraordinary statement which harms party interests, such as defecting to the ruling party, or instructs the party to unwisely nominate party candidates, there will be a level of doubt about his move.
Continued here: http://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambodi ... 65508.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Interview with the ex-leader of the opposition

Post by bangkokhooker »

No body cares and particularly not Khmers.

Chicken shit.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Either SR is seriously deluded or he has more foreign backing than anyone is aware of
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Waffle....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sokha’s grip on party compromised: Rainsy
30 October 2017
- Mr Rainsy last week wrote to Mr Sokha telling him any decisions made on behalf of the party would require a consensus with three of the CNRP’s most senior leaders.
“Now consensus has to come from His Excellency and CNRP vice-presidents Mu Sochua and Eng Chhay Eang, as well as CNRP spokesman Yim Sovann. They clearly know my mind,” the letter said. “When the party selects candidates for the Senate elections, please consider the views of these three before making any decision.”

CPP spokesman Sok Eysan said the public is waiting to see if tensions between the former and current opposition leaders will cause the breakdown of the party.
“Everyone knows the old and new leaders of the opposition party are not compatible, like a buffalo and a banana tree,” Mr Eysan said.

He added that Mr Rainsy was still trying to exert power over his old party despite already having lost political games.

“While Mr Sokha is facing the law, Mr Rainsy is trying to micromanage the party by saying no decisions can be made without the consensus of Ms Sochua, Mr Chhay Eang and Mr Sovann,” Mr Eysan added. “To order Mr Sokha like that is seriously insulting and clearly shows Mr Rainsy still sees himself as the leader of the party and wants to show his power.”
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5088171/sok ... ed-rainsy/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

"Cut off the head of the (snake) and let the sprouting hydra heads eat each other alive?!"

What the heck? No common, uniting cause?

What united opposition we have, great leaders of disunited values ... What'll happen if they actually got into power?

These people need to get it together.

Or they can play winner-take-all with no military support.

Yeah, those are the guys projected to win. (??)
Last edited by SmartAston Martin on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Long Distance Politicship :good:
Don't forget the water buffalo
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

What SR is telling the Europeans: interview.

Cambodia’s HE should be granted 'dignified exit': former opposition leader
14/11/2017
France - The international community must be prepared to offer Cambodian Prime Minister HE guarantees for a “dignified exit”, the Southeast Asian country’s exiled former opposition leader told Euronews.

Sam Rainsy, who has been living in France since 2015 amid a slew of charges and convictions widely seen as politically motivated, said the leader of more than three decades is “understandably very afraid, very concerned for his security, for his safety when he steps down.”

Cambodians are due to head to the polls in July 2018 for a national election.

“Nobody is eternal. He [HE] must realise that he has to prepare his retirement and I think we need to give him some guarantees,” Rainsy said.

“If it is not enough that those guarantees are provided by Cambodians… then there must be some international guarantees to allow him to leave the country, to go somewhere safely, to have a kind of dignified exit whereby he cannot only preserve his safety, but preserve his freedom and also preserve a portion of his wealth.”
http://www.euronews.com/2017/11/14/camb ... ion-leader

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sam Rainsy urged CNRP functionaries to flee country
18 November 2017
The ruling CPP is calling for members and functionaries of the CNRP, which has been dissolved, to defect to the CPP, but Sam Rainsy, the self-exiled former leader of the CNRP, urges party officials to flee the country.

A reliable source close to Sam Rainsy spoke with Khmer Times indicating that Mr. Rainsy and his team attempted to coerce CNRP public-servants to escape to Thailand even before the Supreme Court announced that his political party was disbanded. Mr. Rainsy addressed party constituents via social media from Paris.

“I advise not only the top [CNRP] leaders, but also provincial, district and communal office-holders, when I say ‘Please leave the country’ …” He based his statement on the possibility of pressure from the CPP, and concern for the safety of these people. He also called for all CNRP members to stand firm and not defect to CPP...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5091085/sam ... e-country/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

If you want to lead you need to be here not flapping your gums outside Cambodia.
No one has any respect for him anymore.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic