Just How Dangerous IS Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Just How Dangerous IS Cambodia?

Post by Kuroneko »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:18 pm Take away guns in a Third World country - recipe for success.

OK, *safer* than other 3rd World countries ...
As I mentioned "There was a 43 percent drop in robberies, and the use of illegal weapons dropped from 12 cases to just three. The report tabulated victims of violent crime as well – 122 people were killed and 533 were injured. http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... start-2017
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

death by lightning is much more common here than other places.
i also notice God not infrequently strikes churches full of worshippers with lightning.
google it for a big surprise.
makes a believer of me- max concentration of sinners- parsimony and efficiency are evidence.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

vladimir wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:19 pm AndyKK, seriously...it's relative.

Go to SA for one week, you will come back here thanking whatever Dog you worship

Snakes/ How many people you know have died of snakebite?

I'm interested, because I'm a herpetologist, and deaths from snakebite are very low in Cambodia, especially in areas you and I frequent.

If you want to talk about traffic accidents, that's another story
Just a quick google -

Asia
The highest rate of snakebite fatalities by far occurs in south Asia, particularly on the Indian subcontinent, where nearly 11,000 deaths occur every year, accounting for over half of estimated snakebite deaths worldwide. Southeast Asia contributes approximately 790 deaths every year as a conservative estimate; however some more liberal estimates place this number at closer to 19,000. Poor, rural areas that lack appropriate medical care and the correct antivenoms contribute to this high number of snakebite fatalities, and the World Health Organization considers snakebites to be a threat to public health in these areas.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:33 pm

Go to SA for one week, you will come back here thanking whatever Dog you worship

I'm interested, because I'm a herpetologist, and deaths from snakebite are very low in Cambodia, especially in areas you and I frequent.

Just a quick google -

Asia
The highest rate of snakebite fatalities by far occurs in south Asia, particularly on the Indian subcontinent, where nearly 11,000 deaths occur every year, accounting for over half of estimated snakebite deaths worldwide. Southeast Asia contributes approximately 790 deaths every year as a conservative estimate; however some more liberal estimates place this number at closer to 19,000. Poor, rural areas that lack appropriate medical care and the correct antivenoms contribute to this high number of snakebite fatalities, and the World Health Organization considers snakebites to be a threat to public health in these areas.
From last year:
Poisonous snakes are increasingly being driven into rice and cassava fields as their forest habitat is leveled in Banteay Meanchey province, leading to an increase in bites among farmers and their families, provincial officials said on Thursday.

Improved health care and better community education, however, have led to a drop in the number of deaths caused by bites of cobras, vipers and other poisonous snakes in rural areas of the province, officials said.

In Thma Puok and Svay Chek districts, there were 23 cases of poisonous snake bites among farmers in the past six weeks, a steep increase from the average of five cases per month, said Pin Chhul, head of the Thma Puok district health office.

Overall, however, the number of poisonous bites has risen only slightly, from 269 in the first nine months of last year to 281 in the first nine months of this year, said Roeun Sothy, chief of the technical bureau at the provincial referral hospital in Serei Saophoan City.

Although the number of reported snake bites increased, no one has died of a poisonous bite this year, he said, crediting efforts to educate farmers about the need for immediate first aid and quick transport to a hospital.

Last year, two people died due to snake bites “because they were so late to bring them to get treatment at the hospital,” Dr. Sothy said.

Farmers have been trained in community forums to reduce bites by wearing long boots in their fields, refraining from walking in fields at night and paying attention to the potential presence of poisoning snakes, he said. Getting treatment within two hours of being bitten increases survival rates, he said. Buth Kimsay | October 14, 2016
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Sorry forgot about the rabid dogs :)
I agree with your comparison Vlad, you can't compare Cambodia with other countries like South Africa or various central American states when it it comes to crime. Most of us have lived here hassle-free for years, try that in those places and you might not last so long, we are talking about brutal people who would have no compulsions about smacking you over the head with a piece of rebar for 50 cents.
At the same time, I'm not so sure about the snake bite thing, as far as I know there is a high rate of death and injury from snake-bites here, as it is difficult to access any facility which has snake venom antiserum. I'll have to look it up but as far as I know this is a terrible country to get bitten by a snake in if you are an impoverished local living in a remote area.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:01 pm In Thma Puok and Svay Chek districts...

Besides the snakes, those are both districts which were fought over by all the factions for years, there are a whole lot of mines in western Svay Chek. Very dangerous here, if you don't get blown up you'll probably succumb to the bites of venomous reptiles or malarial mosquitos. Otherwise be careful of monkeys with their myriad of diseases and other mammals such as cats and dogs that may bite you and give you rabies. There's also Japanese Encephalitis which is transmitted by mosquitos and kills or leaves mentally impaired about 70% of sufferers.

What kind of world is this, where a fucking egg gets laid in a river and penetrates a kid's foot, until it grows into a worm big enough to get into the eyeball and blind them? Luckily these don't exist in Cambodia, but liver flukes do. You can get these from undercooked pork and sushi and that kind of thing. They'll migrate from your guts to your other organs and give you liver cancer. No joke.

http://www.d.dccam.org/Projects/Promoti ... r_Puok.pdf
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

A modicum of caution and a bit of commonsense make for a pleasant, if watchful stay here.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

not dangerous, actually pretty safe.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

It's as dangerous as you want it to be. I've got screws and plates inserted into parts of my anatomy through living in Cambodia....but that's how I used to like to live at one time.

A time when signs outside markets in Phnom Penh used to say No Explosives. No Guns. No Weapons etc. :)
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

Here's a list of "20 Places tourists should never go". It's one of those annoying 'click here to turn the page' things, just to generate more clicks. The usual suspects are on there, but Thailand at No. 2 because of the insurgency in the far south? Cambodia escapes the list. Congo is #1.

http://moneyversed.com/dangerous-countr ... ?as=705aol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic