Canadian tourist found dead in Harmony Hotel room, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Canadian tourist found dead in Harmony Hotel room, Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

newsworthy/bruce-perkins-american-touri ... ny%20hotel
Its confusing, as CN pointed out here (in the thread above), there are two Harmony Hotels in Phnom Penh where foreigners have died of suspected drug overdoses. There is one on St 148, and the other one on riverside is called Harmony River Hotel. Don't know if they are affiliated. Both seem unlucky for foreigner deaths on the premises.
The latest death occurred at Harmony Hotel on St 148 according to Khmer media:
Harmony Hotel, # 25, Street 148, Village 5, Sangkat Phsar Kandal II, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:30 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:09 pm
vladimir wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 pm
Given the list of people who claimed to have had stuff stolen from rooms there, would you lean towards the latter?
It's a cheap hotel in the Daun Penh area. There will be overdoses, deathpat deaths by natural causes, and stained towels. No one is murdering backpackers and sex tourists to steal their cigarettes and sandals.
But mig posted otof that elephant pants are worth 25 euros..... :plus1:
Haha, I was going to say elephant pants but sex tourists don't have those. I was trying to think of something that backpackers and sex tourists both have. Cigarettes and sandals are the best I could do.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

vladimir wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:03 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:09 pm
vladimir wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 pm
Given the list of people who claimed to have had stuff stolen from rooms there, would you lean towards the latter?
It's a cheap hotel in the Daun Penh area. There will be overdoses, deathpat deaths by natural causes, and stained towels. No one is murdering backpackers and sex tourists to steal their cigarettes and sandals.
No one suggested people are being murdered for cigarettes and sandals, bad try.

Their website states 25/night, so it's fair to assume that a person staying for 3 days would have a couple of hundred dollars on them. If you think people don't get murdered for that here, doh. Plus personal effects, phone, laptop, jewellery, etc.

Dead people don't report theft.

Likely it is a dirty supply, as we all know, or a combination of both supply and theft after death.
Where do you get 25/night, their website, as I posted lists $75/night and the cheapest I can find is $44? and the Harmony river at approximately $30
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:56 pm
Where do you get 25/night...?
That's when you split the bill with the hooker and ask the bellboy for a tip.
minburi
Tourist
United States of America

Post by minburi »

So let me update my position. I do believe he died from a drug overdose with no foul play. The reason is I learned more about his lifestyle. My guess he bought some white powder thinking it was something other than heroin.

Another big point is he was found at 10 pm which points to him getting ready for a big night out by getting jacked up. I have not heard his parents are contesting it at all. This means there must be solid evidence like photos and possibly teammates who knew of his whereabouts.

I've heard there are a lot of drug overdoses in Cambodia because people do not know what they are buying there.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"I've heard there are a lot of drug overdoses in Cambodia because people do not know what they are buying there."

I also suspect that most sellers at the bottom of the chain don't know what they are selling nor how many times it's been stepped on or what was used. Nor do they care.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

minburi wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:45 pm So let me update my position. I do believe he died from a drug overdose with no foul play. The reason is I learned more about his lifestyle. My guess he bought some white powder thinking it was something other than heroin.

Another big point is he was found at 10 pm which points to him getting ready for a big night out by getting jacked up. I have not heard his parents are contesting it at all. This means there must be solid evidence like photos and possibly teammates who knew of his whereabouts.

I've heard there are a lot of drug overdoses in Cambodia because people do not know what they are buying there.
If you're not a serious druggie, you have no idea what you are buying on the street - anywhere. And even then, you can miscalculate.
Its sad but it happens. You're on holiday and you think why not ? Party time. Sorry anyway but we see it here all the time.
Lionel Hindler
Tourist
Canada

Post by Lionel Hindler »

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: December 10, 2017 at 10:24:03 AM AST
To: <edited>
Subject: Letter of Correction by Dr Hindler .

I saw your report online and despite my and my family’s enormous grief I feel obliged to write to you to set the record straight .
Our beloved and wonderful son Daniel definitely did not die of a morphine overdose nor was he a tourist in Cambodia ! Daniel was a qualified teacher at a highly regarded International School in Bangkok and he played rugby for the Thai National Rugby league team and for the Southerners Rugby Team. He had flown to Cambodia to take part in a two day rugby tournament which he was looking forward to very much.

He arrived in Cambodia early on the morning on Friday the 27th October with his team mates. They had left Thailand at 6 am in the morning so were tired when they got to the hotel in Phnom Penh. Dan went to his room to lie down to rest . He never woke up because he died from a sudden catastrophic heart arrhythmia ( caused by a genetic abnormality of the electrical functioning of the heart) a few hours later . He did not die at 10pm as your article incorrectly stated.

The only medicines Dan had with him ( which were photographed when taken from his bag and then returned to us by the Cambodian police) were some Ibuprofen ;another medicine he took for allergies and some heartburn medication . None of these contain any morphine ! What is more only 2 Ibuprofen had been used from the packet and probably not even that day !
There were no other drugs (or alcohol) in Dan’s room or belongings . Dan was an extremely fit and healthy athlete not a drug addict! .

No autopsy was done in Cambodia because Cambodia does not have the expertise to conduct autopsies! . No blood work or proper urine test was done in Cambodia either ! It is complete nonsense to claim that he died of a morphine overdose as no medical tests were done and no morphine was found !

We expressed our outrage at the ridiculous police report to both the Canadian embassy and the Phnom Phen funeral director at the time.
While they agreed with us we were told this was just the way things are done in Cambodia and that we should not argue with the nonsensical police findings or our son would not be allowed to leave Cambodia !!
We were also told that the death certificate would not say anything about morphine and would say “heart attack” because everyone was well aware that the drug accusation was made up and no actual medical tests had been done !! The death certificate did indeed state “heart attack” as the cause of death despite the fact that it was actually “heart arrhythmia”.

Daniel was a fit and wonderful person with a career he loved, a family he loved and a girlfriend he adored. He had a very bright future and was loved and is mourned by people around the world .

As an expat publication who must know the severe limitations of the police and medical system in Cambodia you should be a lot more careful about what you publish.
You have no idea how much additional pain you have caused my family and I by publishing this absolute nonsense.

We don’t know where that picture you have published is from - it looks absolutely nothing like Dan.

Dr Lionel Hindler (Daniel’s heartbroken father and a qualified Canadian Physician)

Sent from my iPhone
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Lionel Hindler wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:49 am As an expat publication who must know the severe limitations of the police and medical system in Cambodia you should be a lot more careful about what you publish.
You have no idea how much additional pain you have caused my family and I by publishing this absolute nonsense.

We don’t know where that picture you have published is from - it looks absolutely nothing like Dan.

Dr Lionel Hindler (Daniel’s heartbroken father and a qualified Canadian Physician)

Sent from my iPhone
we dont create the news we just repeat it, if thats what was being reported elsewhere
thanks for the message to clear things up though
thoughts are with your family
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

its what Trump keeps calling,...."fake news" to boost readership.
is there ANY news organization that truly researches and try's to report the truth, ( dam sure is not ceo or K440) rather than just regurgitate someone else's views/writings
Its called investigative reporting......where is 60 minutes??? :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic