Canadian tourist found dead in Harmony Hotel room, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Canadian tourist found dead in Harmony Hotel room, Phnom Penh

Post by Username Taken »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:54 pm
minburi wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:30 pm Yes, and watch that investigation happen. His parents will not accept this so expect a lot of noise. Dan was a very popular and healthy person. He is the last guy who would shoot up morphine or mess with it in any form.

There is foul play here.
DING DING DING!

Can't have the suicide or overdose death of a young white guy in Cambodia without someone posting that it's foul play.
To be fair, the poster did reconsider a little while later and said, "After talking to people who knew of Dan well, I am not sure I got this one right".

:beer1:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

minburi wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:30 pm Yes, and watch that investigation happen. His parents will not accept this so expect a lot of noise. Dan was a very popular and healthy person. He is the last guy who would shoot up morphine or mess with it in any form.

There is foul play here.
DING DING DING!

Can't have the suicide or overdose death of a young white guy in Cambodia without someone posting that it's foul play.
Cam Nivag, you yourself asked how many have died at Harmony this year on the first page of the thread.

Which implies that it is either a favourite for drug users, or something dodgy is going on.

Given the list of people who claimed to have had stuff stolen from rooms there, would you lean towards the latter?

So why post this? Make up your mind.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yes please- do enlighten us further.
is it one, the other, or both?
i suppose you can have it all ways.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:09 pm

There is foul play here.
DING DING DING!

To be fair, the poster did reconsider a little while later and said, "After talking to people who knew of Dan well, I am not sure I got this one right".

:beer1:
Yeah. I thought it was big of the poster from the family to say his first take on it could well be wrong.
A lot of families refuse to believe that their kid ODed. Its normal, they're in shock, and their kid wasn't a "druggie". And quite often there's all that "what will people think?" going on with the parents too. And then the weird Cambodian police reports that say "heart attack"'. Of course they're freaked out trying to make sense of it all.
And (unlike us), they don't spend all year reading reports of healthy young westerners who die in Cambodian hotel rooms...
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:44 pm Yeah. I thought it was big of the poster from the family to say his first take on it could well be wrong.
I don't think that miniburi is related to Daniel. Firstly, miniburi said "Dan liked the Asian ladies but he had pulled away from that whole scene and had a girlfriend." That sounds like something your friend would say, not your grandmother or aunt. Secondly, miniburi has an American flag on his/her profile. Daniel was born in England and then moved to Canada. Why would a Brit or a Canadian do that? Canadians seem to be obsessed with telling foreigners they are not American.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Yeah, I posted before I saw that.

The poster sure acted like he knew the guy well though when he was vouching for what a top bloke and not a druggie the guy was and hurling accusations of murder, MURDER!
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

vladimir wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 pm
Given the list of people who claimed to have had stuff stolen from rooms there, would you lean towards the latter?
It's a cheap hotel in the Daun Penh area. There will be overdoses, deathpat deaths by natural causes, and stained towels. No one is murdering backpackers and sex tourists to steal their cigarettes and sandals.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:09 pm
It's a cheap hotel in the Daun Penh area. There will be overdoses, deathpat deaths by natural causes, and stained towels. No one is murdering backpackers and sex tourists to steal their cigarettes and sandals.
But mig posted otof that elephant pants are worth 25 euros..... :plus1:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Is there another Harmony Hotel other than the one on 148 st. The original article puts it on 184 st, a mistake? The harmony hotel lists its basic rooms as $75 and up to $150 a night, although I believe they can go for $50 a night which is hardly a cheap hotel, more I would say a middle of the road tourist hotel.

http://www.harmonyphnompenhhotel.com/ro ... rates.html
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

No one suggested people are being murdered for cigarettes and sandals, bad try.

Their website states 25/night, so it's fair to assume that a person staying for 3 days would have a couple of hundred dollars on them. If you think people don't get murdered for that here, doh. Plus personal effects, phone, laptop, jewellery, etc.

Dead people don't report theft.

Likely it is a dirty supply, as we all know, or a combination of both supply and theft after death.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic