Canadian tourist found dead in Harmony Hotel room, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Canadian tourist found dead in Harmony Hotel room, Phnom Penh

Post by Username Taken »

I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent reports of drinks being spiked in various bars.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

minburi
Tourist
United States of America

Post by minburi »

He was a physical machine. Not a drug user.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Does not look like a drug user for sure.
I wonder, was there any mention if there was a needle or needle marks?
Or did he snort it?
If he was drugges, wa he robbed?
Was he alone?
Lots of unanswered questions which is the norm here.
Sad news
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

He certainly didn't look like a stereotypical drug user.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Something’s off about this one but he was a sportsman, did he have any injuries previously that he would have taken morphene for and maybe got hooked?

A lot of players do get hooked on pain meds and can hide it very well. Not saying that is what happened here at all but just a general question.

My first thought though was the same as UT, the recent cases of drinks being spiked.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:23 pm He certainly didn't look like a stereotypical drug user.
I dont think there is a stereotype of drug user. Anyone can make a mistake. Why not ?
Sorry for the family, but stranger things have happened. You can get drugged, or you can take something for a laugh, for fun, why not ?

All respect for the deceased and those grieving, but PLEASE people, dont come to Cambodia to do drug experiments. It's really dangerous, a lot of 'normal' people die in Phnom Penh, and no one knows why exactly.

Sincerely sorry for your loss to the family. Terrible terrible news for you, but its possible that you will never know more than this. I'm sorry, but this is a common situation when a foreigner dies in Cambodia.
Best wishes.
minburi
Tourist
United States of America

Post by minburi »

After talking to people who knew of Dan well, I am not sure I got this one right.

The lesson is don't buy drugs in a third world country thinking you know what you are getting. Better to stay away from drugs all together. Cambodian police must have evidence and the hotel staff and cameras would know if somebody came in the room with him. Do a Google search and you'll find scores of expats die from drug overdoses in Cambodia. Must be some nasty stuff there.

Very sad and tragic.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent reports of drinks being spiked in various bars.
my thoughts exactly
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

minburi wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:30 pm Yes, and watch that investigation happen. His parents will not accept this so expect a lot of noise. Dan was a very popular and healthy person. He is the last guy who would shoot up morphine or mess with it in any form.

There is foul play here.
DING DING DING!

Can't have the suicide or overdose death of a young white guy in Cambodia without someone posting that it's foul play.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic