Workers Protest D.I. Riviera Project on Diamond Island in Phnom Penh Over Unpaid Salaries

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Workers Protest D.I. Riviera Project on Diamond Island in Phnom Penh Over Unpaid Salaries

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Many Cambodian and Chinese construction workers protested DI Riviera Condos demanding that they take responsibility for their paid labor costs already completed on the construction. They allege that the company deliberately refrained from paying compensation for labor costs.

So far, Cambodian-Chinese construction workers have gathered near the 30-storey Diamond Island Condo in Phnom Penh's Chamkarmon district.

According to Cambodian workers, the work has been done but the company had failed to pay the contractors. According to the workers, after D.I.RIVIERA took Vietnamese laborers to takeover the work at lower rates, they refused to pay the former Khmer and Chinese laborers.

Some have alleged that the company has instead paid authorities to pressure the workers into dropping their case because they had been working without proper visas or work permits and were risking to be in trouble themselves.

Despite these statements, claims, the Ministry of Labor's says they had not heard of the workers' claims until the morning of October 28, 2017.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Workers Protest D.I. Riviera Project on Diamond Island in Phnom Penh Over Unpaid Salaries

Post by frank lee bent »

all smoke and mirrors now with the china government's directions to shift investment priorities as mentioned elsewhere.
not saying this particular company is chinese- just that the source of funding has been officially de emphasised as an outbound investment.
so that will flow through to the whole market.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Workers Protest D.I. Riviera Project on Diamond Island in Phnom Penh Over Unpaid Salaries

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Isn't it the truth, though?

The Future of Phnom Penh is the removal of foreigners and underperformers, with replacement by cheaper (foreign) workers.

They *they* get removed, and only big eyed, pretty girls, son-in-laws and their buddies remain. Only Khmer. Why?

Too expensive. Forget income and sales. Too much trouble, mostly incompatible. Fat chance.

Focus of many Khmer Khmers (unsullied by Western ideals, like Sing/Malay/Phil workers) is avoidance, survival, and smiles and politeness (appeasement). Almost NO English. There will be ONE thinker/doer, and s/he will be too busy for nonsense.

Not a malicious uprooting. Just expect a performance review, like any others business, after a few months.

Having some exit routes planned out.

Good for you. Less frustration, learning curves, and no more crumpled expectations of basic courtesies, like replies or a clear yes/no.

Strange that Chinese were uprooted. I wonder how many.

Some VN are good. Some clear away all snakes, stray dogs, and any wildlife in the area. Voracious little slant-eyed shrews.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Interesting, as there's a DI project in Sihanoukville as well.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Hope they're not making another Gold Tower 42 ...
Don't forget the water buffalo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic