Russian naval ships arriving for 6 day visit; Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Russian naval ships arriving for 6 day visit; Sihanoukville

Post by willyhilly »

Where are these historic spots? Victory Hill, Pub street, the Aqua?
Aircraft carriers have huge crews because they have a 80-100 aircraft and helicopters to service I would think. Didn't the Russians sell their only aircraft carrier to the Chinese, it was an old heap of shit.
The British are building two new carriers but don't have any aircraft for them yet. British carriers took part in WW2 in The Philippines against the wishes of Macarthur but turned out to be far superior to the US carriers because they had armoured decks that Kamikazes could not penetrate. They had all US aircraft on them by that stage in the war.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

willyhilly wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:08 am Where are these historic spots? Victory Hill, Pub street, the Aqua?
Aircraft carriers have huge crews because they have a 80-100 aircraft and helicopters to service I would think. Didn't the Russians sell their only aircraft carrier to the Chinese, it was an old heap of shit.
The British are building two new carriers but don't have any aircraft for them yet. British carriers took part in WW2 in The Philippines against the wishes of Macarthur but turned out to be far superior to the US carriers because they had armoured decks that Kamikazes could not penetrate. They had all US aircraft on them by that stage in the war.
The new British carriers are nearly finished. According to recent press reports one sprung a leak during sea trial and there has been criticism of outdated electronics already. Typical of Britain these days, build everything down to a price. They are mini carriers I believe, only capable of short or vertical takeoff.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Duncan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 am
pczz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:02 pm
vladimir wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 pm How DARE a country other than the US seek to increase influence in Asia! How DARE they! :)
was that a typo? shouldn't it be
How DARE a country other than the CHINA seek to increase influence in Asia! How DARE they! :)
America and EU have sero influence here, they do not dole out enough aid to pay for coffee.
Its only a baby ship. I remember when a yank aircraft carrier arrived in Pattaya and town was emptied of girls in about 1 hour, but I think they have 6000 semen (yes I know ho w to spell) on an aircraft carrier

I look behind those facts and ask why so many men on board. Maybe it's cause they have old technology , like manual labour, whereas the Chinese and Russians have more modern ships where everything is automated.
Maybe not, a Nimitz class US aircraft carrier has 6000 crew on board, because they are huge. The US currently has 10 full-size carriers deployed, 9 Nimitz and one Ford. The more modern Gerald R. Ford class has a smaller crew of 2600. As WillyNilly mentioned, the Chinese have only one second-hand Admiral Kuznetsov class carrier they bought from Ukraine and had to completely refitted. The only operational Russian aircraft carrier is the Admiral Kuznetsov with about 2600 staff.
pczz wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:04 pm
The new British carriers are nearly finished. According to recent press reports one sprung a leak during sea trial and there has been criticism of outdated electronics already. Typical of Britain these days, build everything down to a price. They are mini carriers I believe, only capable of short or vertical takeoff.

The HMS Queen Elizabeth was commissioned earlier this month, it's the only operational carrier in the British Navy and due to go in service in 2020. The next one, the HMS Prince of Wales is due to be commissioned in 2020. They are, as you say, smaller carriers and can only field V/STOL aircraft or helicopters.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:34 am
vladimir wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 pm How DARE a country other than the US seek to increase influence in Asia! How DARE they! :)
How DARE a country other than the CHINA seek to increase influence in Asia! How DARE they! :)
America and EU have sero influence here, they do not dole out enough aid to pay for coffee.
Its only a baby ship. I remember when a yank aircraft carrier arrived in Pattaya and town was emptied of girls in about 1 hour, but I think they have 6000 semen (yes I know ho w to spell) on an aircraft carrier

I look behind those facts and ask why so many men on board. Maybe it's cause they have old technology , like manual labour, whereas the Chinese and Russians have more modern ships where everything is automated.
Maybe not, a Nimitz class US aircraft carrier has 6000 crew on board, because they are huge. The US currently has 10 full-size carriers deployed, 9 Nimitz and one Ford. The more modern Gerald R. Ford class has a smaller crew of 2600. As WillyNilly mentioned, the Chinese have only one second-hand Admiral Kuznetsov class carrier they bought from Ukraine and had to completely refitted. The only operational Russian aircraft carrier is the Admiral Kuznetsov with about 2600 staff.

The HMS Queen Elizabeth was commissioned earlier this month, it's the only operational carrier in the British Navy and due to go in service in 2020. The next one, the HMS Prince of Wales is due to be commissioned in 2020. They are, as you say, smaller carriers and can only field V/STOL aircraft or helicopters.
Which begs the question of how much use are aircraft carriers these days? We have bombers capable of flying around the world at supersonic speed, small drones with huge destructive power and cruise missiles. You could argue that aircraft carriers are a bit of a dinosaur. Like the last of the big battleships they are 'symbol of national Pride" and a big target. With modern offensive weapons they are hard to protect and hugely expensive to run. And even the planes are a logistic nightmare. you cannot build 10 a day like an old spitfire. they take months to replace and pilots take years to train. if any of the big powers went to war they would lose their airpower in the first few days, if not hours
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Less talking, more pictures....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

No, they are only capable of VSTOL aircraft only because there is no catapult. They don't have steam. There is even space for a catapult built in the design, but BAE don't have the support contract for planes that can use the catapult, so they didn't put it in. There is an American electric catapult, but BAE don't have that support contract either, so that didn't go in. This is, and massive cost overruns, was why they were going to be binned half way through. Then BAE said think of all the British jobs we'll lose, wont you think of the British arms industry and strong-armed the government. BAE is actually headquartered in America these days, and mostly employs Americans. At least it is not as bad as the Charles De Gaul, the French carrier, which is a floating nuclear waste dump as they can't run their reactor because it's unsafe and you can't just yank a reactor out of these things.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

pczz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:29 am

Which begs the question of how much use are aircraft carriers these days? We have bombers capable of flying around the world at supersonic speed, small drones with huge destructive power and cruise missiles. You could argue that aircraft carriers are a bit of a dinosaur. Like the last of the big battleships they are 'symbol of national Pride" and a big target. With modern offensive weapons they are hard to protect and hugely expensive to run. And even the planes are a logistic nightmare. you cannot build 10 a day like an old spitfire. they take months to replace and pilots take years to train. if any of the big powers went to war they would lose their airpower in the first few days, if not hours
BLASPHEMY! Aircraft carriers are 4.5 acres of free sovereign territory! Freedom reigns when a carrier is near.

Sure, if there was a war between sailors and hookers, like in Pattaya, a carrier would win. And flood the area with money, white babies, and various STDs (to be fair, some fallout to carriers, true).

But what would happen if all anti-aircraft guns were pointed at those "all-powerful" bombers and drones? Who do you think is providing air cover for those "bombers and drones," just out of sight, just off shore?

Man, you have NO IDEA how these strikes are set up. Those super-specialized attack platforms require a huge logistical support team, using land, air and sea forces.

Get a clue!

Added image:
Serving up heaping helpings of freedom ...
Motto: "Anytime, anywhere."
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

22 May 2018
Three Russian warships docked at 9:30am at Sihanoukville port today, 22 May, on a 5-day friendly visit. The three ships are the Admiral Vinogradov, the Admiral Tribus and the Pechem Kolpashikov, and there are 819 crew members aboard.
Photos Huy Bunleng
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic