Paternity Laws

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Cappy
Tourist
Cambodia

Paternity Laws

Post by Cappy »

My ex- girlfriend (Khmer) may be pregnant. I'm afraid she is going to use this baby to extort money from me. We agreed to have no babies, but now she's saying she's going to keep it, even if I don't want it.

What are my options here? What is the Cambodian law regarding paternity? I've checked online but I can't find any answers.

Are they able to force a blood test? Are they able to garnish salary?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Paternity Laws

Post by Kuroneko »

Cappy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:01 pm My ex- girlfriend (Khmer) may be pregnant. I'm afraid she is going to use this baby to extort money from me. We agreed to have no babies, but now she's saying she's going to keep it, even if I don't want it.

What are my options here? What is the Cambodian law regarding paternity? I've checked online but I can't find any answers.

You have the option taken by many young Khmer guys................see below! :D

bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Suck it up.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Cappy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:01 pm
This is Cambodia.....................................

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Cappy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:01 pm My ex- girlfriend (Khmer) may be pregnant. I'm afraid she is going to use this baby to extort money from me. We agreed to have no babies, but now she's saying she's going to keep it, even if I don't want it.

sincr

Too much missing information! She "may be pregnant?". For Crissakes go to a doctor with her and find out..

How long has it been since you had sex with your " former girlfriend? "

If she is preggies definitely have a blood test. If there is a match and she refuses an abortion then you do owe some form of negotiated support which is a moral obligation to her and your. child. That is hardly extortion. I hope for her sake she isn't pregnant.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

It might not even be yours ... :assasin:
Don't forget the water buffalo
Che
Tourist
Congo

Post by Che »

She is testing your response. Even if she says a doctor has confirmed she is pregnant do not believe her. If she really is pregnant you have four or five choices. Run, suck it up, abort, sell it, dump it in an orphanage.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Just been through this getting a European passport for a kid.
Mum has sole rights in Cambodia unless you are married. If you want to exercise parental rights you have to go to the commune and lay claim to the child.
She may put you on the birth certificate but they often do not because no one knows how to write the English name. Depends on the commune chief.

If you need a paternity test do not get it done locally. There are a couple of places but they send them off to Vietnam or Thailand and you don't know the quality and its expensive and useless in court later on if you want to get the child a passport or take him home (assuming he/she is yours)
You can organize a paternity test yourself or through your embassy depending on where you are from. Check with them. Tests are sent to the embassy or a recognized tester, usually Raffles Clinic or the IOM. Then you go and it is all witnessed and sent away. results back in a week or so. Costs vary depending on which country the test is done in but a full,legal, 100% immigration test is generally going to set you back around $1000 if you arrange it yourself. that includes witnessing, taking the samples and courier both ways.
A simple quick check at a foreign lab (Australia, uk, US) will cost $300-$400 but it is not admissibale in court or for immigration purposes
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Che wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:52 pm She is testing your response. Even if she says a doctor has confirmed she is pregnant do not believe her. If she really is pregnant you have four or five choices. Run, suck it up, abort, sell it, dump it in an orphanage.
Next choice - Take care of your responsibilities.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Che
Tourist
Congo

Post by Che »

AndyKK wrote: [quote=Che post_id=199588 time=<a href="tel:1509097929">1509097929</a> user_id=9324]
She is testing your response. Even if she says a doctor has confirmed she is pregnant do not believe her. If she really is pregnant you have four or five choices. Run, suck it up, abort, sell it, dump it in an orphanage.
Next choice - Take care of your responsibilities.
[/quote]
Yup. Taking care of responsibilities was second in the last “suck it up”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic