Latest on the US-Cambodian deportees issue

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Latest on the US-Cambodian deportees issue

Post by PIEMAN »

iHateMyLife wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:30 am I'm one of the deported and I just wanted to say my crime was theft of a motor vehicle that ended up getting me deported to Cambodia. I just wanted to say most of the good hearted deportee live in the country side away from the city life
thats a good idea make them all live in the countryside so they cam steal from one another.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

PIEMAN wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:15 pm
iHateMyLife wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:30 am I'm one of the deported and I just wanted to say my crime was theft of a motor vehicle that ended up getting me deported to Cambodia. I just wanted to say most of the good hearted deportee live in the country side away from the city life
thats a good idea make them all live in the countryside so they cam steal from one another.
@PIEMAN. And that's a very strange and rather hypocritical comment coming from someone who was berating CEO forum members for not giving a shit about other expats. Yes, let's start a fund for expats that are going through hard times, BUT, only your friends and fellow Brits need apply. The rest of them are scammers and thieves, according to you. :whip:

I don't know why I thought that you would have some empathy for fellow-deportees. :shrug: Never mind. Enjoy Vietnam.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

the guy admitted he is a thief :dm:
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

ps i was not deported just refused a visa can happen to anyone,oops :bow:
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

It is total bullshit to blame Trump.
The laws are old laws. He has only been in government for 3 years.
obama deported more people than any President in history.
All these old fucks who have been in office from both parties 40 years created these fucking laws.
It is not just Cambodians.. Half or more of all federal prisoners are Latino.
The guy was in the big house in Cali for 22 years.
I know it cannot be easy for an excon to get out and make it and to be deported to your home country you don't remember makes is a tall order to be successful.
But, Trump just passed prison reform in the USA for CITIZENS...most of which are African Americans.
He is giving second chances...letting people out who were sentenced under unjust drug guidelines and finding these folks jobs..training..
Unfortunately, these people from many countries including Cambodia do not qualify.
Their crimes have broken the rules.
That said...there are so many murderous, raping, thieving pieces of shit being put back on the streets because sanctuary cities are NOT CALLING ICE. It has become a National disgrace.
87 year old woman raped and murdered.
Cops murdered for simple traffic stops.
Cirlcle K kid shot dead by piece of shit buying smokes.
On and on...
A wonderful young black youth gunned down by gangbanging cartel punks who should of been deported.
A gal walking with her dad gunned down by a guy who had beed deported 6 times..he got off because it was an accident that he stole the pistol from a car and was just dicking around..
So, a few hundred Cambodians is a small drop in a gigantic bucket.
Hard to trust an excon...even if they were once your best friend....trust me..I know from experience.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

PIEMAN wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:22 pm ps i was not deported just refused a visa can happen to anyone,oops :bow:
Luck of the draw then? :stir:
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

PIEMAN wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:15 pm
Thats an asshole thing to say @PIEMAN
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

30 January 2020
SF News
Jay Barmann
Cambodian-American Mistakenly Deported After Marijuana Conviction Returns to California Via SFO

A Cambodian-born man who had come to the U.S. with his parents at the age of 1, and who had been a U.S. citizen since he was 12 years old but was nonetheless targeted for deportation, returned home to California on Wednesday via San Francisco.

Sok Loeun, 35, self-deported five years ago after U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents threatened to deport him, but with the help of a lawyer he was able to clear up a clerical error about his citizenship status that dated back over two decades. And the story, in which he himself wasn't aware that he was a legal citizen, highlights the vagaries of the U.S. immigration system and the complexities that many immigrants aren't even aware of, as the Chronicle reports.

Loeun, who grew up in Fresno, was convicted on a marijuana possession charge in 2012, setting in motion a process to revoke his legal residency status under the Obama-era CBP. Three years later, in 2015, Loeun traveled to Cambodia with his family, but upon trying to return to the U.S. he was denied entry and told if he tried to enter he could be deport.
Like other immigrants with questionable residency status, Loeun decided to voluntarily move to Cambodia, a country where he had not grown up, because he was a single dad at the time and didn't want to spend untold months in detention. Ever since, he's been living and working in Cambodia, unaware that he could, in fact, come right back. He remarried, had another child, and then heard about a legal workshop being held in Phnom Penh, hosted by the San Francisco-based Asian Law Caucus. It was there that lawyer Anoop Prasad helped Loeun figure out that he was actually a U.S. citizen.

Loeun had become a citizen under the complicated program known as derivative citizenship, in which children under 18 automatically receive citizen status if one of their parents does. Loeun's mother became a U.S. citizen in 1996, after fleeing the Khmer Rouge, ending up in a refugee camp in Thailand, and emigrating with her family to the U.S. in 1985. Leoun was 12 at the time, but neither he nor his mother were aware of the derivative citizenship category and he had never received any documentation of it. Also, workers at the former Immigration and Naturalization Service, which is now part of the Office of Homeland Security, had failed to change the official record for Loeun after his mother became a citizen.

As Sarah Pierce, a policy analyst for the Migration Policy Institute, explains to the Chronicle, it's "very understandable that foreign nationals themselves wouldn't know whether they had acquired citizenship, especially if they have other IDs."

Now, Loeun says he is very grateful to be back in California. And all is well. He was greeted Wednesday by 75 friends and family members at SFO, drums included.
https://sfist.com/2020/01/30/cambodian- ... a-via-sfo/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I am confused. these are people who failed to apply for citizenship and then went on to pursue a criminal career and that kead to them being deported. if that is correct then why dont all the khmer currently in the USa apply for citizenshipbefore they become gang bangers? Am i missing something?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

pczz wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:07 am If that is correct then why dont all the khmer currently in the USa apply for citizenship before they become gang bangers? Am i missing something?
Spyder: Yo Dawg - we're out of cash. Let's go and rob that corner store?
Lil C : Nah man, let's wait, I've got my citizenship exam next week. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic