More Chinese cruise ships are docking at Koh Samui

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: More Chinese cruise ships are docking at Koh Samui

Post by phuketrichard »

:Bravo:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:33 pm I think that's the line whose boat crashed sailing around the coast in Europe when the captain was on the piss entertaining some Eastern European bird rather than watching where he was going - Costa Concordia.

I spent 6 months on the beach in Koh Samui on my first ever visit to Thailand and the region back in 94, walked onto Maenam beach, pristine white sand and clear blue water, looked one way and then the other and not a soul to be seen. A couple of years ago I had a fanciful idea of revisiting all the places I did on that travel tour, so googled King Bungalows in Chaweng where I had my beautiful little cabin 20 steps from the beach. My 350 baht a night place was now retailing for 2,500-5,000 baht !! I'll stick with the memories, thousands on Chinese cruise ships is another sad development in my eyes.
Think that is a bit of exageration. Spent 2 months on Mae nam beach in 83. Plenty of bungalows and people. Had a 30 baht bungalow on the beach. Generator from 6-10 pm. Than when i lived in phuket from 85 on, would travel to samui 88-89 for work every month.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

" Think that's a bit of exageration" - I'm trying to type a polite diplomatic reply but I really can't. :plus1: :please: Tell me about MY travel experience.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

I guess I stand corrected, but I'm sure a Chinese partner group is benefitting as well.

Carnival is a worldwide cruise line.

One darn reef in the Med 5 years ago, less than 1% casualties, bummer.

The Chinese are not so good swimmers, as a whole...
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:17 am I guess I stand corrected, but I'm sure a Chinese partner group is benefitting as well.
I'm sure Costa is partnering with Chinese travel agencies.

Carnival is a worldwide cruise line.
Carnival (Carnivore :) ) Corporation owns 10 cruise lines... including Carnival Cruise Line and Costa.

One darn reef in the Med 5 years ago, less than 1% casualties, bummer.

The Chinese are not so good swimmers, as a whole...
The life boat drills are especially important. Imagine the 'pushing and shoving' when that thing sinks with 2394 Chinese pax on board?
:facepalm:
You could be next.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:" Think that's a bit of exageration" - I'm trying to type a polite diplomatic reply but I really can't. :plus1: :please: Tell me about MY travel experience.
Its not so much about saying you're wrong it's more a way he could hijack your post to add that he got there first.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Nope, not at all, am sure many were there ahead of me.
What i was making a point of was that the beach was far from empty way before he arrived, samui was on the backpackers route in the 70's
Went back a few years ago, chaweng was fully built up with shop houses, resorts, stalls and restaurants that it was hard to find the beach thru all theroads
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: walked onto Maenam beach, pristine white sand and clear blue water, looked one way and then the other and not a soul to be seen.
Digg3r wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:12 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote:" Think that's a bit of exageration" - I'm trying to type a polite diplomatic reply but I really can't. :plus1: :please: Tell me about MY travel experience.
Its not so much about saying you're wrong it's more a way he could hijack your post to add that he got there first.
:D

With all the recent shenanigans on TOF I'd just like to clarify that I'm not and never have been Robinson Crusoe's sock puppet, even if for that brief moment in time it felt like it. I knew I should have taken a photo. :D
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:10 am
With all the recent shenanigans on TOF ................
:D :stir:

willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I went in 77 or 78 and there was one set of recently built bungalows on Cha Weng Beach. All the roads were shit and it was quite dangerous.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

:bad:
willyhilly wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:15 am I went in 77 or 78 and there was one set of recently built bungalows on Cha Weng Beach. All the roads were shit and it was quite dangerous.
What u mean ROADS??? Lol only the one road around the island and back than dirt tracks leading off it to the beaches :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic