Renewed request for assistance with trip planning

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Renewed request for assistance with trip planning

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Hi again, everyone.

As some of you will recall, I'm hosting a two-country visit (Vietnam and Cambodia) by a friend from India in his spry early 70s. It's a challenging friendship: He's pretty blunt and not always quick enough on the draw with this bluntness to give me a chance to make him happy in the present tense, and it lately occurs to me that I haven't done enough trip planning to ensure he has a full experience.

We have all of our lodging accommodations and inter-city travel arrangements, but I could use all the help anyone wants to give on the subject of where to eat, and things to do.

The cities we're visiting are Ho Chi Minh City, Hue, Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. One thing I'd like to do in particular is to take him to one of those restaurants that used to be a dime a dozen in Saigon, where you sit on long benches and slap your cold-water washcloth packet before you eat? Did I describe that sufficiently? He's also mentioned that he'd like to eat at least once at a seafood restaurant where you pick your fish from a tank -- which I haven't done anywhere in the region. Our accommodations in Siem Reap are apparently going to handle the temple visit itinerary for us.

Really, anything anyone would like to suggest by way of food and things to do, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Not-so-dangerous Dave.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Renewed request for assistance with trip planning

Post by Anchor Moy »

Approximate restaurant budget ?
Those places where you choose your fish and seafood can be surprising. You see the price on the menu, and in small print it says "per 100gr". :?
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Renewed request for assistance with trip planning

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I know, right? I remember the first time that happened in Phuket like it was *yesterday*.

Let's say $10 per person plus drinks as a top-line figure for restaurants.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic