Firearm discharged in road rage incident, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Firearm discharged in road rage incident, Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Yet another angry drunk was tried in Phnom Penh yesterday for waving his weapon around.

Former military officer tried for shooting spree
27 October 2017
A former military officer with the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces, Touch Bopheap,35, was tried by Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday for unauthorised weapon possession following his arrest for drunkenly firing 10 bullets into the air.
Judge Piseth said the accused was arrested by municipal military police on July 12 after he surrendered himself following his identification from CCTV cameras outside the Entertainment 555 club.

Deputy prosecutor Ngin Pich said that on the night of July 7, the suspect joined a group of his friends to drink at the club in Daun Penh, Phnom Penh. He said that while drinking, the accused got into an argument with another group drinking at the club.
Mr Pich said the accused then went outside the club, took his pistol and fired 10 shots into the air in a bout of rage. “After shooting, he drove his car and fled,” Mr Pich said.
Mr Bopheap faces six months to three years in jail.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5088038/for ... ing-spree/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

This is definitely not a police (or army) issued weapon.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

(Phnom Penh): On October 31, Ros Piseth, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court judge, sentenced Touch Bopha, 35, to one year in jail for possession of an unauthorised firearm. The suspect admitted the charge and said he bought the gun from a friend.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Dobing in your friend as a supplier of illegal weapons would get you off his Christmas card list.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Arget wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:03 pm This is definitely not a police (or army) issued weapon.
How do you know? Ididn't see any picture/description, did I miss something?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

vladimir wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:21 pm
Arget wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:03 pm This is definitely not a police (or army) issued weapon.
How do you know? Ididn't see any picture/description, did I miss something?
Refer photo in original story. =@
tonetone420
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tonetone420 »

That looks like a springfield XD to me, and I dont think its a .22 the bullets look more like 9mm. Curious how he got that sort of hardware in the country. Normally you see Eastern Bloc stuff like CZs, Tokarevs and Makarov pistols

Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

willyhilly wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:20 pm Unless it hits you in the head. 22s are great assassination guns, two in the head at close range do the trick.
You sound like an expert.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

tonetone420 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:29 am That looks like a springfield XD to me, and I dont think its a .22 the bullets look more like 9mm. Curious how he got that sort of hardware in the country. Normally you see Eastern Bloc stuff like CZs, Tokarevs and Makarov pistols

Well spotted. It's a Springfield Armory XD Mod.2 9MM. There are plenty of Glocks/ Berettas / Sig Sauers etc around. As far as I know there is only one shop, in the center city area, that sells guns. You can't visit it, it's only open to Police/ Military and some other officials or their bodyguards. The prices are really high compared to the US for example. It's not unusual for a Glock/ Beretta to go for $3000. I've looked at US sites and the same guns seem to be less than a third of the price. High-ranking army/police etc like to show off that they have fancy guns though, they aren't going to settle for the crappy Chinese service pistol.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Glock or Beretta for $3000? Is that a joke? For that price it better be chrome plated, duo toned, have high performance center stamped on it, with some custom scrollwork! Never knew people to carry them as BBQ guns for showing off.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic