Police offer tuktuk drivers $100 bounty on bag snatchers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Police offer tuktuk drivers $100 bounty on bag snatchers

Post by Anchor Moy »

Lol. :popcorn: Today's news.

Police offer tuk-tuk drivers $100 for each bag snatcher turned in
Wed, 25 October 2017
Kong Meta

As part of a citywide effort to crack down on bag snatching, tuk-tuk drivers across Phnom Penh are being drafted by police to chase after and turn in robbers, with the promise of a $100 reward per case, according to officials.

On Monday, a group of roughly 25 tuk-tuk drivers met with Tuol Kork district police, where they were told to speed after thieves, knock them off their motorbikes and bring them to police headquarters to gather a reward, said Horm Kea, chief of the district’s Boeung Kak I commune, who was at the meeting. Any damage to the vigilantes’ vehicles would be paid for by officials, Kea said.

“This is our encouragement to them for their contribution as a citizen,” District Police Chief Houn Sothy added.

According to Deputy Phnom Penh Police Chief Song Ly, the drafting is another facet of a plan to crack down on petty crime, following a call last week by National Police Chief Neth Savoeun for officers to push for attempted murder charges against theft suspects.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/p ... her-turned
violet
Expatriate

Re: Police offer tuktuk drivers $100 bounty on bag snatchers

Post by violet »

Haha. I wonder how many innocent riders will be accused of being a thief so the reward can be collected? Wish I had managed to pull the pillion off the back of the bike that tried to nab my gym bag yesterday. I might set myself up so I can get a reward.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

A hippie in Kampot named Ronald Faraldo is suggesting a $500 reward.
Ronald Faraldo‎ to Kampot Noticeboard

500 $$Reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of any bag snatcher in Kampot area.

Please tell me if this idea is completely stupid. That is to make it more profitable to turn in a bag snatcher than committing the crime.

One must feel completely violated when this happens. It also can be very dangerous.

I for one would gladly contribute to this fund.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

In another idea to counter the epidemic of bag snatching, the national police chief proposes toughening up theft charges and sentences for snatch and grab thieves.

Top cop urges heavy charges in petty thefts
24 October 2017
“HE Neth Savoeun, national police chief, encouraged [police] to file complaints against thefts on the streets [with charges of] attempted murder,” a recap of the meeting reads. He justified the instruction by saying light sentences do not deter criminals from reoffending.

Under the Criminal Code, petty robbery would carry a charge of “theft” or “theft with aggravating circumstances”, with a sentence of six months to three years in prison for the former, and five to 10 years for the latter.

Chin Malin, Justice Ministry spokesman, said police can suggest whichever charge they want, but only prosecutors can decide which is applicable.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/t ... tty-thefts
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

I wonder if you still get the payout if the perp is slightly......damaged...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Better idea, issue ak 47 to all tuktuk drivers over 30 and let them shoot the fuckers on sight.
Guarnteed bag snatchers in a week, after a few killed, would be a thing of the past.
Sometimes drastic measures are called for
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Strangely, I like the AK idea, with absolutely no gun training, fire discipline, or abuse allowed. :p

Nice try, I like your enthusiasm, however.

$500 and up gets more expensive (think draining) and the Tuk Tuk drivers could team up with a guy who will vacay in prison for a few hundred bucks split.

These cops are simple and underfunded. Not really stupid. Just blocked off by a strangulating lack of budget.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

Give them tuk-tuk drivers radios so they can work together to run the fucks over, then double the criminal penalties for the perp if the perp robs a tourist/foreigner like they do in Vietnam.
MurphyIrish
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by MurphyIrish »

So this happens quite often??
it's nice to be nice!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Quite often and not just to tourists. Gf's sister and bf were robbed a month ago by 6 guys on motorcyles
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic