Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

Job seekers, look here. Employee seekers, post here.

Anyone posting Herbalife or any other MLM will not only be removed and banned, we'll likely hire people to find out where you live and burn your house down you exploitive pricks.
User avatar
MurphyIrish
Expatriate
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:36 am
Reputation: 1
Ireland

Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

Post by MurphyIrish » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:43 am

HI all,

My name is Jason Murphy.
I am 25 from Ireland fluent in English,

I will be going to Cambodia in march and will be looking for work.
I was wondering for English speaking foreigners what Jobs would be easy to come by in Cambodia ? :)

KInd regards,

Jason :)
it's nice to be nice!
angkorjohn
Expatriate
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:05 pm
Reputation: 232
United States of America

Re: Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

Post by angkorjohn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:19 am

Do you have any skills or a trade? Do you have a degree in anything?

Jobs are not easy to come by without those here. You may get a crappy bar job paying peanuts and live in accommodation during the high season - Which is just about over when you arrive.
There are some teaching positions offering a low salary for those with a degree but without proper teaching qualifications that may pay around $800 per month. Where are you planning on living? Why Cambodia? Phnom Penh has the most employment opportunities, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville have seasonal opportunities and are cheaper to live in.

Before you come ensure you have a plan and a budget and have saved enough money in case you don't find anything straight away ideally around $6000-$8000. Make sure you get some good health insurance to cover you as hospitals are crap and expensive without it.

While this is a question up for debate I think $1000 a month is the minimum you want to earn to live nicely - thats a decent-ish apartment with AC that you aren't to scared to turn on because of the cost because come April and May you'll need it (total cost around $350) plus food bills, clothes, nights out and trying to save any. This place ain't as cheap as it was so make sure you research properly and not going off what a 2009 Lonely Planet says !

Anyway enough of an old timer lecturing you I don't want to put you off but you need to understand the reality - check these websites and facebook groups for potential employment opportunities.

https://www.bongthom.com/
https://www.top-recruitment.com/
https://www.everjobs.com.kh/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/268506779953380/

this is a good website for all the other questions you may have
http://www.movetocambodia.com/
User avatar
MurphyIrish
Expatriate
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:36 am
Reputation: 1
Ireland

Re: Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

Post by MurphyIrish » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:38 am

Oh no every bit of information is helpful so thank you for the post :)

I will be going with my gf we picked Cambodia for a fresh start and somewhere new to explore and live. I don't have degrees unfortunately,So as you mentioned it might be a struggle to find work but il give it a go :) determined ! lol

So you said about teaching without degree, Is there many jobs going in Phnom Penh in teaching?

Thank you for the links also il check them out :)
it's nice to be nice!
angkorjohn
Expatriate
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:05 pm
Reputation: 232
United States of America

Re: Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

Post by angkorjohn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:56 am

I'm no expert on the teaching field just what I hear and read and see posted about and teachers I meet. It seems it's less and less schools wanting people without a degree. What you gotta remember is the schools will be fee paying schools for parents, if you were paying for your kid you'd want the teacher to have the necessary qualifications etc. which is why most schools are tight on that. On that facebook group they often have positions but all seem to need experience and qualifications. There are plenty of teachers on this forum who will have better knowledge than me.

Nothing wrong with wanting an adventure or a change of scene, you just gotta make sure you;re realistic about your options and expectations. You could get lucky. You'd also be better off coming for the high season November-April to get more chances.

Phnom Penh more jobs but more expensive and it's a city it ain't for everyone. You may prefer the coast or Siem Reap which is busier most of the year from the temples.

good luck

John
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 10857
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2547
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

Post by phuketrichard » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:32 am

If u dont have at least $5,000 , which is barely enough to last for 1 person for 6 months.
It will not be easy. If u dont have that , work at home, save and than travel
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
TRM
Expatriate
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:22 am
Reputation: 5
Cambodia

Re: Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

Post by TRM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 am

I think that it is difficult for anyone to advise you if you don't answer Angkorjohn's question about what skills you have that determine what you can actually do. For example, do you have experience at construction, cooking or car repairs?
angkorjohn
Expatriate
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:05 pm
Reputation: 232
United States of America

Re: Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

Post by angkorjohn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:05 pm

TRM wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 am
I think that it is difficult for anyone to advise you if you don't answer Angkorjohn's question about what skills you have that determine what you can actually do. For example, do you have experience at construction, cooking or car repairs?
He posted in General Chatter as well - seems he just wants a bar job and a bit of fun - as I said to him it ain't no long term way to live your life here. I doubt they'll be dishing out any work permits for foreign bar staff in 2018.

general-chatter/work-march-jobs-for-eng ... 16029.html
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 3241
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 567

Re: Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:17 pm

MurphyIrish wrote:Oh no every bit of information is helpful so thank you for the post :)

I will be going with my gf we picked Cambodia for a fresh start and somewhere new to explore and live. I don't have degrees unfortunately,So as you mentioned it might be a struggle to find work but il give it a go :) determined ! lol

So you said about teaching without degree, Is there many jobs going in Phnom Penh in teaching?

Thank you for the links also il check them out :)
It's fine to do a sabbatical year or something, but without any significant skills or qualifications, how do you expect your "fresh start" to be of any use? You'll be living in a hovel with no spending money, and that's if you DO find a job... Either go travelling for a while if you have the money currently available (don't work), or work on improving yourselves in Ireland instead by investing in your future through knowledge (be it education, a training course, a business course, a degree in something that interests you, anything). I'm not in the education sector, but as mentioned, I've heard that underqualified and unexperienced teachers are going the way of the dodo. You may be able to find a job in a different field, but expect similarly low salary and long hours.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
User avatar
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 9:50 am
Reputation: 12
Nigeria

Re: Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

Post by Garry.Crabtree » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:31 pm

The best but hardest sector to get into is the NGO sector.

NGO jobs are out there but not for expats in Cambodia. I managed to break into the sector by spending 6 months volunteering in London before coming out. That gave me invaluable contracts and a network which within a year I managed to turn into a real job with a charity here in Cambodia.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
angkorjohn
Expatriate
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:05 pm
Reputation: 232
United States of America

Re: Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

Post by angkorjohn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:17 pm
MurphyIrish wrote:Oh no every bit of information is helpful so thank you for the post :)

I will be going with my gf we picked Cambodia for a fresh start and somewhere new to explore and live. I don't have degrees unfortunately,So as you mentioned it might be a struggle to find work but il give it a go :) determined ! lol

So you said about teaching without degree, Is there many jobs going in Phnom Penh in teaching?

Thank you for the links also il check them out :)
It's fine to do a sabbatical year or something, but without any significant skills or qualifications, how do you expect your "fresh start" to be of any use? You'll be living in a hovel with no spending money, and that's if you DO find a job... Either go travelling for a while if you have the money currently available (don't work), or work on improving yourselves in Ireland instead by investing in your future through knowledge (be it education, a training course, a business course, a degree in something that interests you, anything). I'm not in the education sector, but as mentioned, I've heard that underqualified and unexperienced teachers are going the way of the dodo. You may be able to find a job in a different field, but expect similarly low salary and long hours.
Thats some wise advice there. I didn't to to piss on his bonfire initially but can't argue with BKL's post there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests