Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Sanmiguelwithlime
Tourist
Singapore

Re: Will be going in March to Cambodia looking for work

Post by Sanmiguelwithlime »

Get a work permit for hong kong(can apply in the country) /Japan(must apply from your home country) /Australia (can apply online before you arrive) / NZ (same as Australia) .

This is a good plan B, Cambodia and South east Asia can mentally/physical /financially exhaust you in months and those bar jobs aren't good for mental health.

I would suggest kitchen work at least you will have access to good food and not be eating Khmer gruel day in and day out.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Sanmiguelwithlime wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:51 pm Get a work permit for hong kong(can apply in the country) /Japan(must apply from your home country) /Australia (can apply online before you arrive) / NZ (same as Australia) .

This is a good plan B, Cambodia and South east Asia can mentally/physical /financially exhaust you in months and those bar jobs aren't good for mental health.

I would suggest kitchen work at least you will have access to good food and not be eating Khmer gruel day in and day out.
This is a good honest post by Sanmiguelwithlime.
If you have money from your own country to back you up, and live on. Then you could find work to keep yourself occupied. (little bit more spending monies). People seem to come to Cambodia, on the word that it is cheap. You may find out like many others it is not has low cost has you would have expected.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
MurphyIrish
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by MurphyIrish »

Thank you guys,
Sanmiguelwithlime that is actually a very good idea as a plan b,I could go to Australia if it seems to be all going downhill. i got a few friends there so id say they could put in a good word for me to there employers :)
it's nice to be nice!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

do that
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

MurphyIrish wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:07 pm Thank you guys,
Sanmiguelwithlime that is actually a very good idea as a plan b,I could go to Australia if it seems to be all going downhill. i got a few friends there so id say they could put in a good word for me to there employers :)
This time SanMig is giving some reasonable advice. Worth looking into if you've got friends there.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Vietnam and Myanmar are much more lucrative for teflers than Cambodia.
not trying to put you off,but i think these are generally recognized facts in that community
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

You can get a teaching job within a week or two as long as you aren't covered in tattoos and you have a normal hairstyle. However, you will struggle to do a decent job without some kind of training in the field. If you don't want to take a teaching course, at least read a few books to prepare yourself.
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

OP, I ask this pretty often to posters like yourself, but why Cambodia?

It is becoming less attractive as a place to move every year, but more and more people seem to still want to make the move. Bhutan, Ethiopia, Ghana, Cote d’Ivoire, India, Uzbekistan, Myanmar, Tanzania, Laos, and Djibouti are the fastest growing economies in 2017 according to http://www.nasdaq.com/article/5-fastest ... d-cm773771 . Maybe some of those countries are more similar to the way Cambodia used to be, when you could just show up from the west and get an Ok job. Probably not India, but the rest might be worth looking into.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I work with/have worked with a lot of Irish over the years...I would definitely not want my kids being taught English by someone with an Irish accent...no disrespect Murphy, but most of you guys are fookin difficult to understand, although not as bad as the Welsh.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

That's not cool, PSD, as bad ass as we know you to be.

I met a VN gal that spoke with a Scottish accent. It was novel and hilarious. Well understood, too. That must've been one charming Scotsman, though!
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic