Posting cigarettes internationally from Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Derigeriser
Tourist
Australia

Posting cigarettes internationally from Cambodia

Post by Derigeriser »

Hi,

Whats the go with posting cigarette cartons internationally from Cambodia?

I want to send some back home during my next trip but just not sure what the situation is on the Cambodia end regarding post. I know on my end I am allowed to import, they just get taxed on arrival (if they find em).

I can only assume cigarettes are on the export prohibited list, but how do they check? Is it a random thing, like one in a hundred packages get inspected? What happens if they're found?

Also, what are the prices like for international postage from Cambodia?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Der
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Posting cigarettes internationally from Cambodia

Post by bangkokhooker »

If it was that easy everyone would be doing it.
If you try and import cigarettes and get caught without paying tax they will be confiscated and you or whoever receives them will get a visit from custom and or the police.

Cambodia does not give a hoot where you send them.
Derigeriser
Tourist
Australia

Post by Derigeriser »

You have no idea what you're talking about.

It is FULLY legal to import cigarettes in Australia. Though, as I said, if they're found you are required to pay tax on them in order for them to release them. If you pay, then theybsend them on. If you dont, they destroy them.

And I think you'll find that althpugh they dont care WHERE you send it, they very much do indeed care WHAT you send. Cigarettes Im willing ro bet will be on the banned list.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

With current import tax at $0.696 per cigarette there's some good money to be made in you can get them in tax free.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Derigeriser wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:39 pm if they're found you are required to pay tax on them
I don't think that is the way the law works.

You are required to pay tax on them. It is not a matter of whether they are found or not.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Derigeriser wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:39 pm You have no idea what you're talking about.

It is FULLY legal to import cigarettes in Australia. Though, as I said, if they're found you are required to pay tax on them in order for them to release them. If you pay, then theybsend them on. If you dont, they destroy them.

And I think you'll find that althpugh they dont care WHERE you send it, they very much do indeed care WHAT you send. Cigarettes Im willing ro bet will be on the banned list.
Asking questions and then telling people they don't know what they are talking about will not win you any friends.
You seem to know all about it so good luck.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Digg3r wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:51 pm With current import tax at $0.696 per cigarette there's some good money to be made in you can get them in tax free.
If that price is correct, then one pack of 20 cigarettes as an import tax of $13.92.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Incidentally, I recently came across this document from the British American Tobacco company in which they are claiming to have partnerships with NGOs in Cambodia. Seems a little strange.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

AndyKK wrote:
Digg3r wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:51 pm With current import tax at $0.696 per cigarette there's some good money to be made in you can get them in tax free.
If that price is correct, then one pack of 20 cigarettes as an import tax of $13.92.
Yeah, but in Oz one packet will set you back around $25 aud.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I'm sure British American Tobacco Cambodia takes their Corporate Social Responsibility to kill people very seriously.
:facepalm:
You could be next.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic