Banks suck!

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Banks suck!

Post by cptrelentless »

With ABA if you get just a savings account it's only $10 minimum. I only gave my passport as ID. I can imagine them wanting more if it was a current account

Sent from my LG-X240 using Tapatalk

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:45 pm With ABA if you get just a savings account it's only $10 minimum. I only gave my passport as ID. I can imagine them wanting more if it was a current account

Sent from my LG-X240 using Tapatalk
I am sure I had to give rent agreement too. But it was all very easy, the staff, very helpful.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

My wife has an account at Cambodian Public Bank. Last week she went into the main branch to change her account type, she signed a few bank documents then went home. Later in the day she received a call requesting her to go back and fill out additional paperwork. Today she went in and was given U.S. IRS document W-9 to fill out which requires her SSN. They acted like it should have been already on file.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

KickingWithRedLabel wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:12 pm My wife has an account at Cambodian Public Bank. Last week she went into the main branch to change her account type, she signed a few bank documents then went home. Later in the day she received a call requesting her to go back and fill out additional paperwork. Today she went in and was given U.S. IRS document W-9 to fill out which requires her SSN. They acted like it should have been already on file.
Yes this is the bank where I had to fill in the IRS forms. :facepalm:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:58 pm
KickingWithRedLabel wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:12 pm My wife has an account at Cambodian Public Bank. Last week she went into the main branch to change her account type, she signed a few bank documents then went home. Later in the day she received a call requesting her to go back and fill out additional paperwork. Today she went in and was given U.S. IRS document W-9 to fill out which requires her SSN. They acted like it should have been already on file.
Yes this is the bank where I had to fill in the IRS forms. :facepalm:
Very good bank imho, I only changed to CIMB to follow my banker.
Even French banks, notwithstanding my French citizenship or lack of any US investment have me sign this W-9 form. I guess I would be rather worried to hold funds in a bank that doesn’t these days.

Back to the point; Banks suck!: hardly breaking news is it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic