British Expat in Siem Reap Lends $250 to Man From Zimbabwe to Pay for Overstay Fees, Surprisingly Gets Burnt

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: British Expat in Siem Reap Lends $250 to Man From Zimbabwe to Pay for Overstay Fees, Surprisingly Gets Burnt

Post by General Mackevili »

AndyD wrote:... Trymore actually contacted me yesterday and the matter has now been resolved satisfactorily... Trymore will be back volunteering with JWOC at some time in the near future.
Is he an indentured servant now?

Is he asking for the cost of airfare upfront?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: British Expat in Siem Reap Lends $250 to Man From Zimbabwe to Pay for Overstay Fees, Surprisingly Gets Burnt

Post by vladimir »

AndyD wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 am Trymore will be back volunteering with JWOC at some time in the near future. Many thanks, Andy.
Beware the Jwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Zimzim bird, and shun
The frumious walletsnatch!
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

General Mackevili wrote:
Cruisemonkey wrote:What he's thinking in that picture is -
I should have my index finger folded down.

OMFG GM!!! Not when I've got coffee in my mouth. Too funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
AndyD
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by AndyD »

prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:35 am
AndyD wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 am To be fair, it was actually my wife that lent him the money, not me. Trymore actually contacted me yesterday and the matter has now been resolved satisfactorily. I have removed the other posts regarding this matter, and would be very grateful if you would delete this post as Trymore will be back volunteering with JWOC at some time in the near future. Many thanks, Andy.
Was it or wasn't it a scam?
Not a scam, he had exhausted his funds while volunteering. Pleased to say that the matter is sorted and my faith in humanity is restored. Would admin please remove the post as this guy did some excellent work while he was here and will be back again in the future. Many thanks, Andy.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

AndyD wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:21 pm
AndyD wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 am To be fair, it was actually my wife that lent him the money, not me. Trymore actually contacted me yesterday and the matter has now been resolved satisfactorily. I have removed the other posts regarding this matter, and would be very grateful if you would delete this post as Trymore will be back volunteering with JWOC at some time in the near future. Many thanks, Andy.
Not a scam, he had exhausted his funds while volunteering. Pleased to say that the matter is sorted and my faith in humanity is restored. Would admin please remove the post as this guy did some excellent work while he was here and will be back again in the future. Many thanks, Andy.
That's good to hear that it wasn't a scam. I hope the post is deleted [or the guy's name is redacted]so that it doesn't damage his reputation. However, I think it is pathetic that an NGO such as JWOC would allow someone to volunteer at their organisation without a valid visa. The directors of that NGO should be locked up.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Unless they're comatose in the hospital, It's beyond my understanding how someone can be so stupid as to overstay their visa.
:facepalm:
You could be next.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

AndyD wrote:
You were pretty quick to label him a scammer on social media, and now you trust him enough to come volunteer with you again.

What's up with that?

And yes, I'll remove his name from this topic, as it appears you have now changed your story from "he's a scammer, be warned!" to "he's a good guy, and we've scheduled him back in to work with our NGO a bit later."

:facepalm:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
AndyD
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by AndyD »

I hadn't had any contact with him for four months after we lent him the money, hence the reason I thought it was a scam. I posted in several places, including his own Facebook page, in an effort to either recover our losses or make people aware of the situation. He has since contacted me to resolve the matter and given a logical explanation. This matter now has no place in the public domain as the person in question has done good work in the past and has every intention of doing so in the future. He has proved he is not a scammer, I have removed any references that I made as a result of recent actions and would be very grateful if you would do the same.
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

prahocalypse now wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:42 pm :lol1:
Do you always take pleasure at the challenges people have?

Three times, in one day, I've read your negative comments by happenstance.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

soup wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 pm
prahocalypse now wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:42 pm :lol1:
Do you always take pleasure at the challenges people have?

Three times, in one day, I've read your negative comments by happenstance.
Yes, but technically an emoji isn't a comment. :geek:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic