10 year driver's license - language help please (Punchy?)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

10 year driver's license - language help please (Punchy?)

Post by StroppyChops »

According to B2B the Ministry of Public Works and Transport is now requiring all foreigners to show a valid driver's license from their home country to be able to renew a Cambodian driver's license, and comments that this might be to force all long-term expats to go through the process of getting a local 10-year license.

I'm in this boat as my Australian license has expired and I'm not going to be in Australia any time soon to undertake the medical required for my Australian license classes, so I'm going to attempt the 10-year license at some point in the near future.

The Ministry has a new Driver's License Registration System online portal to streamline the administrative side, and I've watched the Khmer-language video presented on this page which shows a walkthrough through the process.

One thing I'm not sure of is a document that's required to be uploaded in this process. Can anyone identify the following document from the low resolution screengrab, please?

Also, does anyone know if the theory booklet and test are available in English (I think this may have been answered previously) and whether the driving instructors can give the practical test in English? My Khmer is not yet up to the task.

I'll report back as I go through the process. Please also jump in if you've done it yourself.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: 10 year driver's license - language help please (Punchy?)

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Regarding taking the theory test in English, and having a tester assess your practical in English... Yes, but make sure to let them know in advance when you make your booking.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:39 pm Regarding taking the theory test in English, and having a tester assess your practical in English... Yes, but make sure to let them know in advance when you make your booking.
Thanks mate

Edit: the portal allows you to select the language you want to be tested in.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I wonder if they would accept a Thai 5 year licenses>
..... now requiring all foreigners to show a valid driver's license from their home country to be able to renew a Cambodian driver's license,
so their saying the whole time u live in Cambodia to renew ur yearly 1 year Cambodian license you need a valid Home country license?? WTF

so need make a trip to your own country once every 5 years ( US license valid for 5 years)

Whats the test and 10 year license cost??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:02 pm I wonder if they would accept a Thai 5 year licenses>
..... now requiring all foreigners to show a valid driver's license from their home country to be able to renew a Cambodian driver's license,
so their saying the whole time u live in Cambodia to renew ur yearly 1 year Cambodian license you need a valid Home country license?? WTF
Yes, that's what they're saying. I heard rumours of this a few weeks ago, seems to have been confirmed.

I believe you're also unable to use a Thai license if you're here on six-month or one-year EOSes. Visitors can use an ASEAN-accepted license, expats cannot.
so need make a trip to your own country once every 5 years ( US license valid for 5 years)

Whats the test and 10 year license cost??
Partial costs breakdown is in the linked article, beyond that I have no knowledge.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Damn. They are making it hard.
They really want long term expats to fuck off.

I've a big bike (600cc) and although I've a licence from my home I've only a B licence here. Never been stopped.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

bangkokhooker wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:37 pm Damn. They are making it hard.
They really want long term expats to fuck off.

I've a big bike (600cc) and although I've a licence from my home I've only a B licence here. Never been stopped.
Actually I think they're just playing the short game and not thinking it through, standard Cambodian government mentality. The country has lost buckets of international aid dollars in the past few years and is looking for ways to quickly fill that hole, hence the rapid developments on everything expat related.

The latest rumour I've heard is that they're about to also hit "non-working expat spouses" for backdated work permits for every year of residence. THAT will seriously annoy some people, although it will be a much smaller subset of the expat population as AFAIK most western expats have local wives if they're married. It will be a huge problem in the missions sector (for example), though. My friends with spouses from other Asian nations are also going to be seriously annoyed if this goes ahead, and a number of them would leave the country rather than pay trumped-up costs.

Oh, and...
Spoiler:
600cc? Mines bigger!
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

For sure. (not quoting gets too big).
I know a lot of barang who are "married" with kids, property etc. I suppose they've got the ER visa and don't care.

They only stated stamping EB on visas last year. I'm sure my 2016/2015 "Business" visa doesn't say EB anywhere. How do they know?

600cc?
Yes but mine is a sports bike with 100bhp. Yours? 50bhp if your lucky!
I've also got a 400, 1200, and 250 two stroke!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

dont want this to be a thailand is better post but
fuck, Cambodia changes the goal lines a lot more than Thailand (recently) and seems to fuck with expats & charge them more as well..

seems a Thai license can be used to obtain a Cambodian one ( from ur link)
....If you already possess a valid (ie. non-expired) driving license from your home country – or any other country where you have resided
although for under $30 for a 10 year license is not bad :thumb:
Last edited by phuketrichard on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

True. You may as well stay there what with your bitcoin haul and all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic