10 year driver's license - language help please (Punchy?)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: 10 year driver's license - language help please (Punchy?)

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

The paperwork for mine was around $12.5 FYI (big bike, not car, but virtually the same process).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

The bloke I saw a while back with a 10 year licence said that he knew of a guy (this was 3 weeks ago) that paid a fixer and he did not even have to go to PP. He was a bit pissed off that he had to trudge up to PP and do the test! We both agreed that it was a good idea then to get it even though now you can do it for a fraction of what he paid. He said it was a royal pain in the arse to sort it out and it was so fucking hot that day too he nearly went to st 130 and stayed there!

He said that his fixer told him then that things were changing for barangs. Not sure how long he has left on it, maybe 8 or so years.

Not sure if is still the case I will ask him when I see him next, although I think he has buggered off to Vietnam to sell his house.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

So you don't see the point of work permits and licences but ok maybe you do and you've got yourself a driving licence, and maybe taxes are ok?

Maybe I'll read your post again later as it's a bit confusing.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

You're right, it's pretty confusing. I take it back.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Gilmore wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:16 am As I have been through the entire process, my experiences may be useful.
In 2009, I decided to apply for a Cambodian driver's licence, after a couple of nasty experiences with the vultures that patrol Norodom Bvd. As my Australian licence had expired, I had no choice, except to go through their system.
At that time, licences were only issued for 5 years, though conditions may have changed since. All applicants were required to show proof that they had completed a driver training course at an approved Cambodian driving school. I paid a course fee of $160 to a Phnom Penh company, but didn't take any lessons, as I was already a very experienced driver. They arranged an appointment at the testing centre on the northern outskirts and sent a guy from the company to accompany me and assist.
On arriving, I was told I had to first take a written test, along with 6 other foreigners, all Asian, who were there for the same purpose.
The test was in English and consisted of about 30 multiple choice questions, based on Cambodian road rules. I had no knowledge of any Cambodian road rules, but was assured by the guy from the driving school it wouldn't be a problem, as I had already paid a "processing fee"of about $35. Sure enough, we were told shortly after the test that we had all passed.
We were then taken to the testing circuit. The test consisted of making a reverse right angled turn, followed by a short trip around a block, which included a left hand turn at a traffic light. It concluded with a reverse park into a marked space.
We were told to watch a demonstration by one of the testers and follow his example. The demonstrator managed to fuck up almost every task, mounting the gutter twice while reversing and failing to indicate at the lights. We all followed his example by making errors. I stuffed up my first reverse park attempt, as I was unused to the testing vehicle. We were then told we had all passed. I asked a Chinese applicant if they used a similar system there. He just shook his head and laughed.
After a short wait of about 30 minutes, I received my 5 year licence, which cost about $25. I made a 5 year renewal in 2014, with no further tests required, but was told that when the licence expires in 2019, I will have to renew annually.
Conditions may have changed since then, but it gives you some idea of what to expect.

THANK YOU for the great report.
Do you know anybody else who went through the process of getting a driving license from scratch lately ?
Is it still possible ?
And we can be sure that even for a fee they wont accept any expired license from home country ?
Thanks again !
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic