10 year driver's license - language help please (Punchy?)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: 10 year driver's license - language help please (Punchy?)

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

bangkokhooker wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:55 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:35 pm Wasn't aware. My bad.
Who the fuck rated his post positive (No offence)!
I did...why?
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:58 pm
bangkokhooker wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:55 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:35 pm Wasn't aware. My bad.
Who the fuck rated his post positive (No offence)!
I did...why?
Sorry my bad.

(Waiting.....waiting....)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

think ill look into doing this and go through the process too in a couple of weeks,
will post my results if i do
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:07 pm think ill look into doing this and go through the process too in a couple of weeks,
Any ideas on that document, Jamie?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:40 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:07 pm think ill look into doing this and go through the process too in a couple of weeks,
unfortunatly not mate, i used to always drive with my IDP and always been fine with it, not been stopped for over a year so i cant give an up to date situation with that (Cambodia is no longer under the registered countries i know that much)

but yeah, no idea about the doc, and it is unfortunately unreadable as it is (on my comp anyway)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:57 am
StroppyChops wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:40 am
unfortunatly not mate, i used to always drive with my IDP and always been fine with it, not been stopped for over a year so i cant give an up to date situation with that (Cambodia is no longer under the registered countries i know that much)

but yeah, no idea about the doc, and it is unfortunately unreadable as it is (on my comp anyway)
Yeah, unreadable on the government website too - thanks anyway mate.
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:46 pm
It will be a huge problem in the missions sector (for example), though. My friends with spouses from other Asian nations are also going to be seriously annoyed if this goes ahead, and a number of them would leave the country rather than pay trumped-up costs.
Damn. Oh well, every cloud and that....
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

As I have been through the entire process, my experiences may be useful.
In 2009, I decided to apply for a Cambodian driver's licence, after a couple of nasty experiences with the vultures that patrol Norodom Bvd. As my Australian licence had expired, I had no choice, except to go through their system.
At that time, licences were only issued for 5 years, though conditions may have changed since. All applicants were required to show proof that they had completed a driver training course at an approved Cambodian driving school. I paid a course fee of $160 to a Phnom Penh company, but didn't take any lessons, as I was already a very experienced driver. They arranged an appointment at the testing centre on the northern outskirts and sent a guy from the company to accompany me and assist.
On arriving, I was told I had to first take a written test, along with 6 other foreigners, all Asian, who were there for the same purpose.
The test was in English and consisted of about 30 multiple choice questions, based on Cambodian road rules. I had no knowledge of any Cambodian road rules, but was assured by the guy from the driving school it wouldn't be a problem, as I had already paid a "processing fee"of about $35. Sure enough, we were told shortly after the test that we had all passed.
We were then taken to the testing circuit. The test consisted of making a reverse right angled turn, followed by a short trip around a block, which included a left hand turn at a traffic light. It concluded with a reverse park into a marked space.
We were told to watch a demonstration by one of the testers and follow his example. The demonstrator managed to fuck up almost every task, mounting the gutter twice while reversing and failing to indicate at the lights. We all followed his example by making errors. I stuffed up my first reverse park attempt, as I was unused to the testing vehicle. We were then told we had all passed. I asked a Chinese applicant if they used a similar system there. He just shook his head and laughed.
After a short wait of about 30 minutes, I received my 5 year licence, which cost about $25. I made a 5 year renewal in 2014, with no further tests required, but was told that when the licence expires in 2019, I will have to renew annually.
Conditions may have changed since then, but it gives you some idea of what to expect.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

I read a pretty identical post (here or TOF can't remember) although it was for a 10 year. That was in 2016 and it cost $400 so pretty much the same price per year.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:25 am I read a pretty identical post (here or TOF can't remember) although it was for a 10 year. That was in 2016 and it cost $400 so pretty much the same price per year.
Different process now apparently, should be much less than $100 for 10 years. The "thanks for your time" to the examiner should be $5 or under. See the link in the OP.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic