Stable internet

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mitch
Tourist
Great Britain

Stable internet

Post by Mitch »

Hello guys
I am new on here, so excuse the ignorance.
I have lived in S.E.Asia for years, currently in Philippines, ( real shit hole and I hate every second) Even the cockroaches carry small arms.....
I support myself teaching English online. (ZZZZ yeah I know)!
SO.... what are the speeds like? Is the internet reasonable? How about prices and how easy for foreigners to get it set up? Any one recommend a good hot spot?
I prefer classroom teaching but maybe Phnom Penh better for that?
Cheers
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Stable internet

Post by bangkokhooker »

If you think the Philippines is a shit hole you'll be disappointed in Cambodia.

But on the plus side the internet can be good depending on who you go with, how much you pay and which way the wind is blowing. Plus the frequent power cuts.

Oh and not forgetting the new visa situation which doesn't like nomads, teachers, whore mongerers, or young retirees. You could be all I don't know.

Good luck!
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I pay 16 bucks a month for this. Very easy set up. Image
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

what company?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Digi. On their 8mbps home premium fibre deal.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

bangkokhooker wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 am If you think the Philippines is a shit hole you'll be disappointed in Cambodia.

But on the plus side the internet can be good depending on who you go with, how much you pay and which way the wind is blowing. Plus the frequent power cuts.

Oh and not forgetting the new visa situation which doesn't like nomads, teachers, whore mongerers, or young retirees. You could be all I don't know.

Good luck!
Guy asks questions about stable internet... gets response from neighsayer.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

from my experience, internet connection is very good for a reasonable price (most companies do a deal, pay 5 months get 1 - 3 months free which works out at around $12pm)

I work from home most days and internet is up apart from a couple of hours roughly once a month, but can always tether your phone or go to a cafe nearby (every cafe/bar will have half decent wifi). I also spread bet stocks and have never been overly concerned with the internet connection.

Prices for locals and foreigners are the same, all prices advertised on their websites. Very easy to set up

FYI I am based in central Phnom Penh, which would have by far the best wifi coverage and least black/brownouts in the country
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:44 am
bangkokhooker wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 am If you think the Philippines is a shit hole you'll be disappointed in Cambodia.

Good luck!
Guy answers the question with caveats another guy posts a trolling response. Some people don't live in PP where these things happen.

If you've nothing better to do than criticize posters then I suggest you have a word with yourself.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:59 am
prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:44 am

Good luck!
Guy answers the question with caveats another guy posts a trolling response. Some people don't live in PP where these things happen.

If you've nothing better to do than criticize posters then I suggest you have a word with yourself.
It was neither a troll nor a criticism. It was a vladimiresque pun!
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Too obscure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic