Stable internet

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Mitch
Tourist
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 am
Reputation: 0
Great Britain

Stable internet

Post by Mitch » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:55 am

Hello guys
I am new on here, so excuse the ignorance.
I have lived in S.E.Asia for years, currently in Philippines, ( real shit hole and I hate every second) Even the cockroaches carry small arms.....
I support myself teaching English online. (ZZZZ yeah I know)!
SO.... what are the speeds like? Is the internet reasonable? How about prices and how easy for foreigners to get it set up? Any one recommend a good hot spot?
I prefer classroom teaching but maybe Phnom Penh better for that?
Cheers
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:14 pm
Reputation: 108
United States of America

Re: Stable internet

Post by bangkokhooker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 am

If you think the Philippines is a shit hole you'll be disappointed in Cambodia.

But on the plus side the internet can be good depending on who you go with, how much you pay and which way the wind is blowing. Plus the frequent power cuts.

Oh and not forgetting the new visa situation which doesn't like nomads, teachers, whore mongerers, or young retirees. You could be all I don't know.

Good luck!
epidemiks
Expatriate
Posts: 1192
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 pm
Reputation: 263
Australia

Re: Stable internet

Post by epidemiks » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:47 pm

I pay 16 bucks a month for this. Very easy set up. Image
User avatar
frank lee bent
Expatriate
Posts: 9437
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:10 am
Reputation: 1033
Australia

Re: Stable internet

Post by frank lee bent » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:15 am

what company?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Posts: 1192
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 pm
Reputation: 263
Australia

Re: Stable internet

Post by epidemiks » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:39 am

Digi. On their 8mbps home premium fibre deal.
User avatar
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
Posts: 1747
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:27 am
Reputation: 842
India

Re: Stable internet

Post by prahocalypse now » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:44 am

bangkokhooker wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 am
If you think the Philippines is a shit hole you'll be disappointed in Cambodia.

But on the plus side the internet can be good depending on who you go with, how much you pay and which way the wind is blowing. Plus the frequent power cuts.

Oh and not forgetting the new visa situation which doesn't like nomads, teachers, whore mongerers, or young retirees. You could be all I don't know.

Good luck!
Guy asks questions about stable internet... gets response from neighsayer.
User avatar
cautious colin
Expatriate
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am
Reputation: 77
Great Britain

Re: Stable internet

Post by cautious colin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:57 am

from my experience, internet connection is very good for a reasonable price (most companies do a deal, pay 5 months get 1 - 3 months free which works out at around $12pm)

I work from home most days and internet is up apart from a couple of hours roughly once a month, but can always tether your phone or go to a cafe nearby (every cafe/bar will have half decent wifi). I also spread bet stocks and have never been overly concerned with the internet connection.

Prices for locals and foreigners are the same, all prices advertised on their websites. Very easy to set up

FYI I am based in central Phnom Penh, which would have by far the best wifi coverage and least black/brownouts in the country
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:14 pm
Reputation: 108
United States of America

Re: Stable internet

Post by bangkokhooker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:59 am

prahocalypse now wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:44 am
bangkokhooker wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 am
If you think the Philippines is a shit hole you'll be disappointed in Cambodia.

But on the plus side the internet can be good depending on who you go with, how much you pay and which way the wind is blowing. Plus the frequent power cuts.

Oh and not forgetting the new visa situation which doesn't like nomads, teachers, whore mongerers, or young retirees. You could be all I don't know.

Good luck!
Guy asks questions about stable internet... gets response from neighsayer.
Guy answers the question with caveats another guy posts a trolling response. Some people don't live in PP where these things happen.

If you've nothing better to do than criticize posters then I suggest you have a word with yourself.
User avatar
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
Posts: 1747
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:27 am
Reputation: 842
India

Re: Stable internet

Post by prahocalypse now » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:04 pm

bangkokhooker wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:59 am
prahocalypse now wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:44 am
bangkokhooker wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 am
If you think the Philippines is a shit hole you'll be disappointed in Cambodia.

But on the plus side the internet can be good depending on who you go with, how much you pay and which way the wind is blowing. Plus the frequent power cuts.

Oh and not forgetting the new visa situation which doesn't like nomads, teachers, whore mongerers, or young retirees. You could be all I don't know.

Good luck!
Guy asks questions about stable internet... gets response from neighsayer.
Guy answers the question with caveats another guy posts a trolling response. Some people don't live in PP where these things happen.

If you've nothing better to do than criticize posters then I suggest you have a word with yourself.
It was neither a troll nor a criticism. It was a vladimiresque pun!
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:14 pm
Reputation: 108
United States of America

Re: Stable internet

Post by bangkokhooker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Too obscure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Annie99, IraHayes, Jerry Atrick, jmagic, logos, PIEMAN, PSD-Kiwi and 290 guests