5 Cambodians Arrested in Hong Kong with 10kg of Ketamine

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

5 Cambodians Arrested in Hong Kong with 10kg of Ketamine

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

5 Cambodians Arrested in Hong Kong With 10kg of Ketamine
HONG KONG - 5 Cambodian male tourists between the age of 17 to 22 transiting through Hong Kong to Taiwan from Siem Reap on 10 Oct, were detained by customs having been suspected after inspection to have concealed on their bodies up to 10kg of ketamine worth of up to HK$30,800,000. were seized at the Hong Kong International Airport yesterday, Customs said today.
According to the Dangerous Drugs Act, offenders convicted of drug trafficking will face a mandatory fine of HK$50,000,000 and life imprisonment.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 5 Cambodians Arrested in Hong Kong with 10kg of Ketamine

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Previously, there have been increasing numbers of international drug traffickers arrested on arrival at Siem Reap airport, but now it seems that traffickers are also recruiting Cambodian travelers to carry drugs from Siem Reap to further destinations.

Hong Kong Customs seizes suspected ketamine
Hong Kong Customs yesterday (October 10) seized about 10 kilograms of suspected ketamine with an estimated market value of about $3.08 million at Hong Kong International Airport.

Five male transit passengers arrived in Hong Kong yesterday from Siem Reap, Cambodia, intending to depart for Taiwan. Customs officers intercepted them for examination and found in total about 10 kilograms of suspected ketamine strapped on their bodies. The men were then arrested.
The arrested men aged from 17 to 22. Investigation is ongoing.
Hong Kong Customs will continue to strengthen co-operation with other law enforcement agencies to combat transnational drug trafficking activities. Under the Dangerous Drugs Ordinance, trafficking in a dangerous drug is a serious offence. The maximum penalty upon conviction is a fine of $5 million and life imprisonment.
http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/2017 ... 100678.htm
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

I thought ketamine was produced in China? And a friend told me it's only about $20 a gram on the street anyway. This figure seems rather absurd. If it was $300 a gram, then i'd be smuggling the shit.
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kampong Spooner wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 pm I thought ketamine was produced in China? And a friend told me it's only about $20 a gram on the street anyway. This figure seems rather absurd. If it was $300 a gram, then i'd be smuggling the shit.
The ketamine was headed for Taiwan. Street prices may be different there, and the price of the haul is given in HK $ not US I think.
It's also possible that traffickers are going the China-Cambodia-Taiwan route to avoid the China-Taiwan customs which are probably quite strict.

Speculation. How much would you have to pay some Cambodians to do this ? No idea, but at a guess, not very much.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Well the Nigerians don't seem to be good at it.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kampong Spooner wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 pm I thought ketamine was produced in China?
It's produced in many countries, India was a major source for a long time but tightened up their regulations. When I was here first you could get ketamine in the pharmacies that came from a Bayer factory in Europe. That stuff is a strange color, I don't remember K looking like that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic