Carrying prescription drugs into other countries

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Carrying prescription drugs into other countries

Post by Barang chgout »

Try taking 2 spare pairs of underpants, ensuring one pair is thoroughly used ( preferably with skid marks) which you should place on top of your other stuff!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Barang chgout wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm Try taking 2 spare pairs of underpants, ensuring one pair is thoroughly used ( preferably with skid marks) which you should place on top of your other stuff!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

What '' other stuff ''. I purposely have nothing in my bag so it's easy for them to search. The one time I did not even have a backpack they kept me there for like 2 hours checking to see if I was traveling with a unknown person who was carrying my bag.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Moose
Expatriate

Post by Moose »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:43 pm After reading the Bali drug thread (below), I was wondering how many times I've been merrily carrying prescription drugs into (or through) countries where you can get banged up for illegal drugs. I'm talking about small amounts.
post197124.html#p197124

I found this, which gives the international guidelines on what you can carry, but what I was looking for was a list of regulations by country.
https://www.incb.org/documents/Psychotr ... _Ebook.pdf

Does anyone know about restrictions on taking prescription drugs to the UK, US, Australia, New Zealand, and countries in SEA ?

Someone told me a couple of years ago about a hassle they had with customs when taking a few valium into Australia. Does that seem realistic ?
Just avoid Indonesia and Malaysia with large amounts, You will have had no issues in SEA if your sensible
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Entering Australia with Medication
http://www.aids2014.org/WebContent/File ... y_2014.pdf
It says you must declare Xanax, generic name alprazolam, by ticking yes on the customs form.
dang
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dang »

From where, to where?

I've never had an issue carrying Rx checked-in from country x to country x....
:assasin:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:57 am Ok, Egypt is not a good country to visit with tramadol and naproxen. To be fair, the woman was carrying 290 tramadol and there's no mention of a doctor's prescription.

British woman languishes in Egyptian jail for carrying painkillers
4 November 2017
Laura Plummer from Hull was in possession of tramadol and naproxen when she was detained by Egyptian authorities.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ainkillers
In the end, the English woman with tramadol got 3 years. They say that tramadol is a big deal in Egypt though, and there's a lot of trafficking.
A shop assistant from Hull has been sentenced to three years in prison in Egypt after she was convicted of possessing controlled drugs found on her as she entered the country.

Laura Plummer, 33, has already been detained for nearly three months since she was arrested on suspicion of trafficking drugs at Hurghada airport, by customs officers who found 290 tramadol tablets in her luggage.

Tramadol, a potent synthetic opioid, can only be prescribed by medical professionals in Egypt, but it is often obtained illegally and is said to be the country’s most abused drug.

Plummer has said she was bringing the pills into the country for her Egyptian husband, who has chronic back pain. Her family are understood to have lodged an immediate appeal.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... into-egypt
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Meanwhile back in Phnom Penh I just came from my favorite pharmacy, my favorite primarily because they sell quality drugs at a reasonable price. Anyway, I asked if they still sell antibiotics to which he smiled and shook his head yes.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

As a general rule you are allowed to take prescription drugs for your own use provided you have a valid prescription for them and only enough for your trip, but increasingly countries are not allowing painkillers, sedatives and sleeping tablets even with a prescription, especially if they can be used as a precursor to produce illegal drugs like ice or extacy.
You will be fine with blood pressure tablets but stuffed if you are carrying codeine for your bad back. I had prescription codeine and had to travel through UAE where it is banned and the embassy told me maximum 1 month supply with a prescription if I was transitting airside but none if I was entering the country, even with a prescription. If you are not sure then best to call the embassy and get their advise first. I don' think you would get much joy taking valium or sleeping tablets or codeine into Europe with or without prescription if you got stopped. They will expect you to go and see a doctor and get a local prescription.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

In Cambodia there are no restrictions on bringing prescription drugs into the country, as long as it is for your own use, and you have a doctor's prescription with your name on it.
(Source - a friend who contacted the Cambodian Embassy in their country last month about carrying morphine into Cambodia.)

UAE and Singapore are both strict about carrying prescription drugs. In the UAE, you may have problems even in transit, and in Singapore any sort of gum is a prohibited substance.
In Thailand, most drugs are ok if you have a prescription and are only carrying a 30 day supply, but for narcotics/psychotropics you will need a permit, so best check if you are not sure. (See below.)

UAE:
UAE has a very strict, zero-tolerance anti-drugs policy. If you can get by without medication, it is safest to leave it at home if you are travelling to or through UAE.
While many other countries also apply controls to the following drugs, UAE is unusual in conducting extremely thorough searches of many travellers through its airports, with highly sensitive equipment.
If you must take medication, make sure:
- It is not on the banned ‘Narcotics’ list;
- You have a prescription for it – even if you bought it over-the-counter.
List Of Controlled Pharmaceutical Substances In UAE
https://www.fairtrials.org/list-of-cont ... es-in-uae/

Singapore:
Prohibited Substances
The following substances are not allowed to be imported:

Controlled drugs listed in the Fourth Schedule of the Misuse of Drugs Regulations e.g. Cannabis, Coca Leaf, MDMA, JWH etc.
Medicinal chewing gums such as Nicotine gums
Oral dental gums
More details: http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/He ... apore.html

Thailand:
Bringing medication to Thailand
http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/Br ... ToThailand
List of restricted substances
http://permitfortraveler.fda.moph.go.th/
Permit for narcotics and psychotropic substances
http://permitfortraveler.fda.moph.go.th ... on-2.1.pdf
Marcus-Darkus
Expatriate

Post by Marcus-Darkus »

Where can I get a doctors prescription in Phnom Penh for valium? will one of those regular pharmacies knock me one up for a couple of $? lol

I've been using it for several years for flying as I'm not a keen flyer, although I love travelling. I've always bought it over the counter here but I am looking to go to KL or SG in the next couple of months. It seems these countries are strict, even though id only be taking 1 or 2 left in the splinter.

Anyone had any experience of taking a couple of pills into these countries? I've travelled all over Europe, most of SE Asia with no problems before.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic