Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

Post by Brody »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:35 pm go out to DoI and do it myself next time and see what happens.
Nice, do report back! :thumb:
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

Post by kiwiincambodia »

StroppyChops wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:35 pmI’ll see what the situation is like after the elections and make sure I leave enough time to go out to DoI and do it myself next time and see what happens.
I know this has been asked and answered previously, but have you had success with EOS going directly to DoI? We're up at the end of May and hoping to do the same.
Nope. The company I used to work for did it all for me before. This is the first time in 10 years of living here I have had to get and pay for a visa myself.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Brody wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:35 pm go out to DoI and do it myself next time and see what happens.
Nice, do report back! :thumb:
Won’t be for another 6 months yet. Image
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:43 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:35 pmI’ll see what the situation is like after the elections and make sure I leave enough time to go out to DoI and do it myself next time and see what happens.
I know this has been asked and answered previously, but have you had success with EOS going directly to DoI? We're up at the end of May and hoping to do the same.
Nope. The company I used to work for did it all for me before. This is the first time in 10 years of living here I have had to get and pay for a visa myself.
Good luck. I'll be giving it a go before then, and will report back also.

Might be worth a new thread.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm
Brody wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:07 am
StroppyChops wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:58 pm Be aware that freelancers will be required to register a business to get the WP.
Lets try and not muddy the waters with conjecture and/or hearsay.

And when you make a "Be aware" statement, try and provide a source.
Oh, okay. Or you could pull your head in.

lol when did any ones sign up date/post count count for anything on an internet forum?
id already spent a couple of years here before i signed up to any of the forums,

he was asking if you had any evidence to back up your claim, not how many posts you have made lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:10 pm
Spoiler:
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm
Brody wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:07 am
StroppyChops wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:58 pm Be aware that freelancers will be required to register a business to get the WP.
Lets try and not muddy the waters with conjecture and/or hearsay.

And when you make a "Be aware" statement, try and provide a source.
Oh, okay. Or you could pull your head in.

lol when did any ones sign up date/post count count for anything on an internet forum?
id already spent a couple of years here before i signed up to any of the forums,

he was asking if you had any evidence to back up your claim, not how many posts you have made lol
I was wondering who'd be the first to jump on me for that. It's true, I was being a dick - but to be fair, he started it!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm he started it!
Started what? Show me where I was being a dick. While you're at it, you could answer the question that I posed.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Brody wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:02 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm he started it!
Started what? Show me where I was being a dick. While you're at it, you could answer the question that I posed.
You're American so it's not your fault. You don't understand that your writing tone projects an image that many non-Americans find abrasive.

I'm about as interested in answering your questions as you'd be in telling me why, out of the thousands of posts on this forum that are similarly unsourced or lacking in citations, you choose mine to start lecturing on. There is very, very little to do with changes to visas, EOS's and WPs that is set in concrete in this country, until the changes are suddenly enforced, therefore much that is discussed is hearsay and rumour. If you'd like me to phrase my comments differently, well, that's truly your problem.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Okie dokie.

Can anyone else verify this? As I said before, this would be yet another departure from what people have been experiencing as recently as last week.

Individuals on the visa/work permit Facebook group have reported successfully obtaining WP's as 'freelancers' via Lucky Lucky as well as by applying themselves via the FWCMS web portal. https://www.fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh/

Under 'Self Employed' the business certificate and tax patent entries are still optional.
StroppyChops wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:58 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:47 pm From what they say on the FB page it seems possible to get a Freelancer WP and EB EOS from there.
Be aware that freelancers will be required to register a business to get the WP.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Brody wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:18 pm Okie dokie.

Can anyone else verify this? As I said before, this would be yet another departure from what people have been experiencing as recently as last week.

Individuals on the visa/work permit Facebook group have reported successfully obtaining WP's as 'freelancers' via Lucky Lucky as well as by applying themselves via the FWCMS web portal. https://www.fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh/

Under 'Self Employed' the business certificate and tax patent entries are still optional.
StroppyChops wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:58 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:47 pm From what they say on the FB page it seems possible to get a Freelancer WP and EB EOS from there.
Be aware that freelancers will be required to register a business to get the WP.
Here, let me help you with your need to be right:

So, yep, the online portal doesn't force you to submit a business certificate or tax patent YET. I'll take on face value that you know of or have heard of people getting their "freelancer" work permit without these documents - good for you.

My comment that freelancers will need to register a business name comes from discussions with a visa/EOS/WP agent who creates business registration documents for expats, for a fee, to be submitted with their WP application - but then doesn't submit them but also doesn't tell the client that. Some CEO members may have followed part of that discussion on FB.

I argued with him that I knew he was charging people for a service they don't actually need, but they don't know they don't need, and that the business documents aren't required for anyone other than a business owner. His service applies this to normal "foreign employee" work permits, incidentally, and it was that that we were debating at the time. He charges $300 for a $130 WP. It was from him that I heard that freelancers may get their WPs without documentation now, but are very likely to have to register a business name - which, after all, is how they'll be paying their lawful taxes to the Kingdom - within the period of that WP.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic