Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

Post by Username Taken »

beaker wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:43 pm is there not a way we could come up with some kind of a 'business' that would qualify for WP's of coarse there dosen't need to be any profit or actual inventory like online teaching or something ?
That thought has passed my mind as well. I have a website, but try as I may it doesn't make any money. But I wondered, what if I register myself as a Sole Trader as webmaster. Would that be enough to get a WP? Who knows.

But my point is more concerning the fact that I can't really leave, can I? My kids are school age. Why is no there no provision for this type of situation?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

Post by Username Taken »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:20 pm
Username Taken wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:31 pm
taabarang wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:24 pm UT, for what it's worth we're in the same boat for the same reason.
The Ministry needs to recognize 'family' not just 'marriage'.
curious, as ur not legally married, I assume ur name is on your child's BC, But does that make u the legal father in Cambodia,
In Thailand it does not.
Legally the child is urs by marriage to the mom, ( before or after the birth) or court order.
For Americans by submitting a " Consular Report of Birth Abroad " makes the child a US citizen, but still in Thailand, without the above, ur not the legal father, weird but...
MY daughter became a US citizen, even thou in thailand i was not yet recognized as the legal father ( we weren't married) .

Just asking.
Does ur child have ur countries passport?
Yes, my name is on the birth certificates, but not in the Family Book. Despite paying money two times to have my name in the FB, I got nothing in return.

My kids have Australian 'Citizenship By Descent', which required a lot of supporting documentation including the birth certificates.

Yes, my kids have Aussie passports.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

From what they say on the FB page it seems possible to get a Freelancer WP and EB EOS from there.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:47 pm From what they say on the FB page it seems possible to get a Freelancer WP and EB EOS from there.
Yes, it's possible, but since April 1st that WP is not enough to get an extension on your visa. Both the WP and a letter from your employer are needed, so being a 'webmaster' qualifies you for a WP but not for a visa extension.

Besides, the WP is pretty expensive if you you've been around for a while and have EB extensions is your passport. They will look for the the initial E visa you got when entering the kingdom in your (expired?) passport and charge you from that date. They told me the max is USD 680. I kindly refused to pay that amount of money since I've never needed a WP and I've been denied a WP by the ministry more than once in the past.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Username Taken wrote:
taabarang wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:24 pm UT, for what it's worth we're in the same boat for the same reason.
The Ministry needs to recognize 'family' not just 'marriage'.
Hopefully the follow the lead from Thailand and create a “dependents” visa which hopefully will
Include any type / form of ‘family’
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Ok. Am I the idiot?
Small business license from mol is around $40, give or take tea money. From there, connect the dots and receive an e.g. so a for 13 months after having issued yourself with a work card ($120).
What have I missed?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:47 pm From what they say on the FB page it seems possible to get a Freelancer WP and EB EOS from there.
Be aware that freelancers will be required to register a business to get the WP.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:58 pm Be aware that freelancers will be required to register a business to get the WP.
Are you fairly certain?

This would be yet another departure from what people have been experiencing as recently as last week.

Individuals on the visa/work permit Facebook group have reported successfully obtaining WP's as 'freelancers' via Lucky Lucky as well as by applying themselves via the FWCMS web portal. https://www.fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh/

Under 'Self Employed' the business certificate and tax patent entries are still optional.

Lets try and not muddy the waters with conjecture and/or hearsay.

And when you make a "Be aware" statement, try and provide a source.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Barang chgout wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:31 pm Small business license from mol is around $40.
What have I missed?
Everything.

http://ngeayngeay.co/business-registration/
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

If the people with problems can afford to wait until after the elections, there is a string possibility things may relax after that. I'm basing this on experience of two previous elections in Cambodia, lots of things that were touted before the election faded into obscurity later.

How many of you have seen tables being cleared from walkways on the riverside, only to appear without interference two weeks later?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic