Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:32 pm There is no new "freelancer" WP per sé, you apply under the self-employed category, same as last year when they introduced the online application system.

When completing the online application form fill in as follows...

Employer = freelance
Position = freelance
Salary = 0

These agencies are all taking advantage of the confusion and lack of publicised information to rip people off by charging more than 2 to 4 times the actual cost of people doing it themselves.
Not sure I agree with you. I visited the ministry about 6 weeks back to arrange a 'freelance' or 'self employed' work permit and I was simply refused one and told 'not possible'. So I am not sure arranging one by yourself is that easy.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Did you try online?

Plenty of people have successfully obtained the self employed WP as "freelance" this year.

Problem with getting a WP as a freelancer though...getting an EB EOS, because you won't have any registered business documentation or an employment letter.

There has been fk all thought put into the whole WP and visa EOSs system.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:11 pm Did you try online?

Plenty of people have successfully obtained the self employed WP as "freelance" this year.

Problem with getting a WP as a freelancer though...getting an EB EOS, because you won't have any registered business documentation or an employment letter.

AndyKK wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:32 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:21 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:14 pm So now we can pay agents a inflated price and get work permits without documents. Will they give the same deal on the EB visa extension? And at what price?
Yes, those permits allow for a 1 year EOS at the same price as other permits. So nothing changed in the end, it just got more expensive.
What I was getting at, was work permit with no documentation. So, would the visa be on the same basis at a higher price.
Seems to be the same ways as before, pay and you will receive. Or when the passport goes to immigration will they say where are the documents to support this.
Just has I was thinking. But this is here and now. Next month.........................?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Immigration are strictly enforcing the supporting documentation requirements at the moment, even if applied for through an agency, yes Lucky Lucky included.

Will be interesting times ahead for some, but then again, rules will probably change again, getting hard to keep up :lol: :facepalm:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

If you can't get a visa, it sounds pointless and just a quick money making scheme for someone.
Regarding visa extensions. I visited a agent last week and was told at this time I did not need a letter of employment. To back this up I also visited one of the ministry's, they said the same too. But from the 1st of next month you do.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You can try applying for an EB EOS without am employment letter, if the person you try it through has the right connections and charges you accordingly then I'm sure anything is possible.

Plenty of people's EB EOS appmications have been getting denied recently though because they didn't supply the required supporting documentation.

The whole system is kind of fucked...I think it's best that I stop giving advice on certain aspects until there's more clarity.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^^I personally think your advice is spot on. I would also think more posters would say the same.
I have to apply for my EB extension very soon, so I am trying to keep a eye on what is happening and required. I would not attempt to apply without the necessary paperwork required.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

No, I did not try the online option but I've had a look at the website more than once. Main reason is I believe if the ministry tells me 'no', the portal will have the same result since they are only a portal feeding the ministry with data.

Another reason is I don't want a full picture of my passport without any info blacked out, with nine years validity left on it, stored in some online database I have no control over or knowledge about.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:48 pm You can try applying for an EB EOS without am employment letter, if the person you try it through has the right connections and charges you accordingly then I'm sure anything is possible.

Plenty of people's EB EOS appmications have been getting denied recently though because they didn't supply the required supporting documentation.

The whole system is kind of fucked...I think it's best that I stop giving advice on certain aspects until there's more clarity.
Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:38 pm

No, I did not try the online option but I've had a look at the website more than once. Main reason is I believe if the ministry tells me 'no', the portal will have the same result since they are only a portal feeding the ministry with data.

Another reason is I don't want a full picture of my passport without any info blacked out, with nine years validity left on it, stored in some online database I have no control over or knowledge about.
The point in red, supporting documentation required.
Freelancer, have met plenty of keyboard workers over the years in Asia. Just now in Cambodia it seems like it could be used also as a loophole. But already the wp price is up. And how much tax are people willing to pay. Then again it would be an advantage to many online Chinese.
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

What ever next@ are we going to see a massive proliferation of barang orange juice sellers on the streets on phnom penh!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic