Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

Post by finbar »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:06 pm
finbar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:01 pm
Kammekor wrote:for 2019 afaik. When I visited the ministry of labor they told me no work permits will be given out for 2018 after the end of march. But the DoI told me a work permit is not needed for extension, proof of work is needed.
Except there's now a crackdown on companies having foreign employees without WP, so who's going to give out letters of employment without ensuring a WP?
Basically the doors close at the end of march, if you haven't got a WP by then, leave and don't come back until 2019.
Don't forget the DoI and the Ministry of labor are to different institutions.... If a WP becomes a requirement for a visa, and they only give them out in first three months of the year, that's going to hurt the DoI financially. Currently a WP is no requirement for a B-EOS
But they do require a stamped letter of employment for the EB visa.
And what company is going to issue such a letter without also ensuring the recipient has/gets a WP, now that they are cracking down on having employees without them.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

Post by timmydownawell »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:21 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:51 pm Well, I am screwed. I am unable to get a 6mo EG EOS because my passport is due to expire in February next year. I'll have to wait until I get back from my trip next month and get a 3mo one. Bugger.

She offered me a 3mo one but that would be kind of pointless considering I am going away.
they wont give u a 6 month extension on a passport due to expire in 12 months???
That sucks
Yeah, it's pretty common to require an additional 6mo passport validity. I was hoping they wouldn't notice. My last shot at a ME EOS thwarted. Unless they give me another EG on my next passport.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

finbar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:24 pm
Kammekor wrote:for 2019 afaik. When I visited the ministry of labor they told me no work permits will be given out for 2018 after the end of march. But the DoI told me a work permit is not needed for extension, proof of work is needed.
Except there's now a crackdown on companies having foreign employees without WP, so who's going to give out letters of employment without ensuring a WP?
Basically the doors close at the end of march, if you haven't got a WP by then, leave and don't come back until 2019.
Don't forget the DoI and the Ministry of labor are to different institutions.... If a WP becomes a requirement for a visa, and they only give them out in first three months of the year, that's going to hurt the DoI financially. Currently a WP is no requirement for a B-EOS
And what company is going to issue such a letter without also ensuring the recipient has/gets a WP, now that they are cracking down on having employees without them.
A company that started hiring you after the end of March 2018?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:21 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:51 pm Well, I am screwed. I am unable to get a 6mo EG EOS because my passport is due to expire in February next year. I'll have to wait until I get back from my trip next month and get a 3mo one. Bugger.

She offered me a 3mo one but that would be kind of pointless considering I am going away.
they wont give u a 6 month extension on a passport due to expire in 12 months???
That sucks
Yes, I had the same problem once. You need at least 6 months left on your passport after the expiration date of the new visa. So if you want a 1Y EOS you need at least 18 months of validity left after the starting date of your EOS.

For a 6 month extension that's 12 months left. Etc etc.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Future?//For the vast majority of us long-term expats it looks damn bleak. I can only hope it improves for my kids. The Cambodia I love is fading fast.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:33 pm
Exactly - if they hire you in April, they need to give you a letter of employment, so that you'll be able to get a visa EOS. But you won't be able to get a WP for 2018. And then they will be employing someone without a WP.
Maybe I'm reading the end-of-march WP deadline wrong, as the situation is a bit stupid otherwise.
Last edited by finbar on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

finbar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:39 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:33 pm
Exactly - if they hire you in April, they need to give you a letter of employment. And you'll be able to get a visa. But not a WP. And then they will be employing someone without a WP.
It just shows how well they thought it all through...... :stir:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

End of March deadline is for renewing WPs, You can still apply at any time of the year
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

taabarang wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:37 pm Future?//For the vast majority of us long-term expats it looks damn bleak. I can only hope it improves for my kids. The Cambodia I love is fading fast.
why> ur on a RE extension, cant see that changing other than a $$ requirement which adobe will fix for ya :beer3:
PLUS ,are u not legally married?

how would it affect ur Khmer kids??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:22 pm
taabarang wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:37 pm Future?//For the vast majority of us long-term expats it looks damn bleak. I can only hope it improves for my kids. The Cambodia I love is fading fast.
why> ur on a RE extension, cant see that changing other than a $$ requirement which adobe will fix for ya :beer3:
PLUS ,are u not legally married?

how would it affect ur Khmer kids??
surely you just have to ask someone with the skill set of say PSD_Kiwi and they could remove your insecurity post haste
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic