Schengen Visa for Khmer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
dude
Expatriate

Re: Schengen Visa for Khmer

Post by dude »

jimpson wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:42 pm ... Finally if you land in France, Italy or Spain as the first port of call in the Schengen area you apply through the French Embassy, If you first land in Holland or Germany or other points north then you apply via the German embassy.
For Italy (port of entry or stay) the Schengen visa application is handled by the German embassy.
jimpson wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:42 pm Finally if you are legally married and you are a European passport holder (UK or Schengen area) your wife is entitled to her visa without payment.
If you are a citizen of an EEA member state, you and your legal spouse can claim to exercise your rights with respect to Directive 2004/38/EC; if you do and qualify, in this instance the visa is free.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to follow up on this question about Schengen visas for Cambodians. My Cambodia partner and I are trying to get a Schengen tourist visa.

I thought if we got it that we would get a 90 day visa and could then travel around Europe some. But now I read somewhere that they might give you a visa for exactly the length of time you asked for- i.e. two weeks. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do they normally just give a visa for 90 days or do they sometimes reduce the length as per your request?

Thanks in advance for your response.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:48 pm Hi everyone,

I just wanted to follow up on this question about Schengen visas for Cambodians. My Cambodia partner and I are trying to get a Schengen tourist visa.

I thought if we got it that we would get a 90 day visa and could then travel around Europe some. But now I read somewhere that they might give you a visa for exactly the length of time you asked for- i.e. two weeks. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do they normally just give a visa for 90 days or do they sometimes reduce the length as per your request?

It's usually the time you request + few extra days on both ends.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

rogerrabbit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:34 pm

Nope. It's usually no visa at all because it's almost impossible to prove that she intends to come back to Cambodia. Unless s/he is from a wealthy and connected family no visa will be easily granted to any childless single individual.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

logos wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:59 am

Nope. It's usually no visa at all because it's almost impossible to prove that she intends to come back to Cambodia. Unless s/he is from a wealthy and connected family no visa will be easily granted to any childless single individual.
B/S. Before marrying my wife, she got visa 6-7 times without any trouble. She is not connected and not from wealthy family nor she did have any kids. At first time she was still studying while working same time but her salary was not anything special. Just do your paper work well and have at least something to show why she comes back (studies, job, property etc). The more she has the better of course but still it's not like logos say.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

They will ask for the itinerary and if they provide a visa, they will provide it according to the itinerary.

Do you have a Schengen passport? If not, I think the chances both of you getting a visa are pretty small, the chance of getting an 'open 90 days visa' will be nearly zero.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:08 am

B/S. Before marrying my wife, she got visa 6-7 times without any trouble. She is not connected and not from wealthy family nor she did have any kids. At first time she was still studying while working same time but her salary was not anything special. Just do your paper work well and have at least something to show why she comes back (studies, job, property etc). The more she has the better of course but still it's not like logos say.
Do you have a passport from a Schengen country, and did she travel with you?

If that's the case she has more right than the average applicant.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:23 am

Yes, I have passport from Schengen country so that had impact on it for sure. Though one of the trips she did not travel with me but that point she had got the visa few times already. But I do know people who have got it without any trouble and not having connections, though in these cases the b/f been from other EU but non-schengen country still.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:31 am
Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:23 am

Yes, I have passport from Schengen country so that had impact on it for sure. Though one of the trips she did not travel with me but that point she had got the visa few times already. But I do know people who have got it without any trouble and not having connections, though in these cases the b/f been from other EU but non-schengen country still.
In my experience, if the partner has a Schengen passport and stays in Cambodia with the Cambodian partner they will usually issue a visa, because the partner of a Schengen citizen being in a 'long term relationship' has a legal right to a visa and because they live together it's hard for embassy to question the relationship.
If the partner lives in the Schengen zone and not in Cambodia, they're being much more difficult, because the 'long term relationship' is much easier to question / doubt since the applicant is not living together with the partner from the Schengen zone. In my experience it's usually a no in that case.

Without a partner with a Schengen passport there's no rights at all and usually the answer is no like Logos said, unless you can really convince them.

If there have been issued Schengen visa before they loosen up a bit too, and they might even start giving multi entry visa to save their resources at the embassy.

My 2 cents after 9 years of Schengen visa hassles.....
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

jimpson wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:42 pm When your wife applies for the Schengen visa through the French Embassy my experience is that they want to see airline tickets - not just the booking, Health Insurance for the duration of the trip, hotel booking for the start of the trip at least and proof of sufficient funds OR a support letter from you to say that you will cover the costs of the trip. All of this is in addition to what is called for on the application form. It is better to show too much detail rather than not enough.

If you intend to travel also to UK she will need a multiple visa visa to allow you to enter the Schengen area on your arrrival from Cambodia before you travel to UK and then to return to the Schengen area if you fly from there back to Cambodia. If you fly to UK from Cambodia and return back from UK she needs the UK visa to be a multiple instead.

Finally if you land in France, Italy or Spain as the first port of call in the Schengen area you apply through the French Embassy, If you first land in Holland or Germany or other points north then you apply via the German embassy.

This information is based on a number of visits to and from France, Holland UK etc. with my wife.

Finally if you are legally married and you are a European passport holder (UK or Schengen area) your wife is entitled to her visa without payment.

Good luck for your trip
You are supposed to get the Schengen visa for the country you are spending most time in, not the firat port of call. So if you fly into Paris for 2 days then spend 2 week in Germany then go back to paris for 1 day and fly out again you need one from the german embassy, not the french. I have done this many times.
Mrs Kenzo will have no extra rights being married to a Brit if we Brexit with no deal, so you can wait up to 14 days for the visa and you would have to pay for it. Otherwise the embassy is required by eu law to issue the visa free within 3 working days and you only need to have prrof you are legally married. The Schengen rules alloow you to prove a durable relationship if the host country accept it. The Fench do, but you need prrof of 2 years cohabitation. You still need health insurance, and for you as a brit if no deal brexit. AXA online very quick and cheap.The French are arseholes. They often tell you you have to wait for 3 months, then you have to complain to get bumped up the list. They are legally required to do it in 2 weeks according to the Schengen code.
We were denied a visa because the lady concerned was coming for 3 months so she had left her job. The head of consul deemed that was a risk and refused. Luckily we were not going to France but another country they represent so we used our right to fly to bangkok and see the proper embassy and got the visa in 24 hours.
Moral of this story - dont ever take a khmer to a country that requires a schengen visa from the French embassy. UK rules have changed since 2016. Currently suing home office :-)
This from UK Gestapo this week

When the EU national is a British Citizen, then their non-EU national unmarried partner is not eligible to be admitted to the UK as the family member of an EU national. A UK Visit Visa to enter the UK is therefore required (if the reason for coming to the UK is for a visit, otherwise a visa suitable for the purpose they are coming to the UK is required). This is because Regulation 9 of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2016 does not apply to
unmarried partners of British citizens. It only applies to married partners of British citizens provided that on arrival in the UK evidence can be provided that the requirements under
Regulation 9 of the Regulations are met.

If you are married to a third country national and she has a residence permit in the EU, for example you livein spain, then you can take her to UK using just her article 10 residence card, otherwise you need a visa. Spend far too much of the last 3 years on this :-(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic