Changes in ER (retirement) visa ? Proof of retirement required ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Changes in ER (retirement) visa ? Proof of retirement required ?

Post by walkjivefly »

Never mind Thailand. Has anyone in Phnom Penh, you know, in Cambodia, who is under 55 got a first time ER EOS in the last month? Through which agent and with what documentation?

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Just "Call Kim"...very recent reports of under 55s successfully obtaining through her.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:56 pm Just "Call Kim"...very recent reports of under 55s successfully obtaining through her.
Nice theory. In practice, Call Kim was one of the places that said (yesterday) "cannot".
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

walkjivefly wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:02 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:56 pm Just "Call Kim"...very recent reports of under 55s successfully obtaining through her.
Nice theory. In practice, Call Kim was one of the places that said (yesterday) "cannot".
hmmm, odd...have you tried Ya at CTT?
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

I'll try them tomorrow.

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

Askey
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Askey »

Hi,I,ve lived in Thailand,one and off,for the last 15 years extending my visa by means of retirement for the last 11.
I comfortably get 65k baht income upwards per month but no way have I got 800k which is maybe now the only requirement.
So I,m considering Cambodia and Phnom Penh in particular.....maybe travel around the country a bit.
Am I right in thinking I get a one month Ordinary visa and then extend to an ER visa for a year ?
A couple of quick questions....
1.Is it easy to open a bank account in Cambodia ? I,ve got an account with the Bangkok Bank in Thailand and believe they have/had a branch in Phnom Penh and I could transfer money between the two.
2.Looking at areas to live.....whats the best for restaurants,shopping etc.between BKK1,BKK2 and BKK3 ?
I,d be looking at a budget of between 300$-400$ monthly.If those areas are all too expensive,any pointers for a decent area within that budget ?
Thanks for any help.I,ve got a few months before I have to make a decision. :wink:
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

You can find the Bangkok Bank here:

344 (1st & 2nd), Mao Tse Toung Boulevard,
Sangkat Toul Svay Prey I,
Khan Chamkarmon, Phnom Penh.

But in case you like or need a Cambodian bank, take a ABA account.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Askey
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Askey »

OK,thanks for the info :bow:
Catoni
Tourist
Canada

Post by Catoni »

Robins wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:09 am Thailand has announced it will no longer accept, and the American, British and Australian embassies will no longer issue income verification letters after the end of this year, and Thai Immigration is saying that only a deposit of 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank will serve as proof of income, despite the obvious fact that having income and having 800,000 Baht to sit interest free in a Thai bank account are two different things.

Cambodia may have a flood of new retirement visa applicants very soon.
Changes that make it more difficult to stay seem to be getting very common. I understand the Philippines have tightened the rules too.
Info:

For the O-A Non-immigrant long term (so-called "retirement") visa... you do not have to have Baht 800,000 in a Thai bank.

Quotation from the Royal Thailand Embassy in Canada as of Saturday, December 1, 2018 follows for income verification..emphasis and number listing added is mine:

1. A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than $ 25,000...

2. OR an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of no less than $ 2,100,...

3. OR a deposit account PLUS a monthly income of no less than $25,000 a year and must be accompanied with a letter of guarantee from the bank stating the monthly income from a source such as a pension or other sources and the letter from the bank must be certified by a Notary Public.

I'm going to assume that the dollar figures... since it is the Royal Thai Embassy in Canada..... is in Canadian dollars.

So as long as you have at least $2,100.00 per month coming in.. .and you can prove it..... you're good to go as far as income for the O-A Thai visa for long term stay... You still need to pass the medical certificate check and police background check from your home country of course and have it notarized if you wish to stay longer than just a tourist stay doing border runs.. With the O-A you just show up at immigration every 90 days and get a stamp after proving where you're Thai address is.. No border runs...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Catoni wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:50 pm
Robins wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:09 am Thailand has announced it will no longer accept, and the American, British and Australian embassies will no longer issue income verification letters after the end of this year, and Thai Immigration is saying that only a deposit of 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank will serve as proof of income, despite the obvious fact that having income and having 800,000 Baht to sit interest free in a Thai bank account are two different things.

Cambodia may have a flood of new retirement visa applicants very soon.
Changes that make it more difficult to stay seem to be getting very common. I understand the Philippines have tightened the rules too.
Info:

For the O-A Non-immigrant long term (so-called "retirement") visa... you do not have to have Baht 800,000 in a Thai bank.

Quotation from the Royal Thailand Embassy in Canada as of Saturday, December 1, 2018 follows for income verification..emphasis and number listing added is mine:

1. A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than $ 25,000...

2. OR an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of no less than $ 2,100,...

3. OR a deposit account PLUS a monthly income of no less than $25,000 a year and must be accompanied with a letter of guarantee from the bank stating the monthly income from a source such as a pension or other sources and the letter from the bank must be certified by a Notary Public.

I'm going to assume that the dollar figures... since it is the Royal Thai Embassy in Canada..... is in Canadian dollars.

So as long as you have at least $2,100.00 per month coming in.. .and you can prove it..... you're good to go as far as income for the O-A Thai visa for long term stay... You still need to pass the medical certificate check and police background check from your home country of course and have it notarized if you wish to stay longer than just a tourist stay doing border runs.. With the O-A you just show up at immigration every 90 days and get a stamp after proving where you're Thai address is.. No border runs...
a NON O-A visa is obtained in ur home country and u need show the equivalent of 800,000 baht ( apx $US24,200) in the bank in your country, income of 65,000 or combination of both have a medical and a police report and this VISA can be stretched to almost 2 full years
http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/ ... tegory-oa/

Getting an EXTENSION to a non o visa is what most retirees living in LOS have

The biggest problem is what will immigration accept as PROOF of a pension amounting to 65,000 baht/month as before the embassy letter fulfilled this ...
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic