Changes in ER (retirement) visa ? Proof of retirement required ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bern
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Changes in ER (retirement) visa ? Proof of retirement required ?

Post by Bern »

simaya wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:11 pm I just received my ER visa. I used to have an EB visa. I am nearly 60 years old. The only documents that were required was my passport and I had to sign a Paper that was written in Cambodian stating that I was changing my visa to an ER visa. I signed and got my thumb print on the page too. That was the most painful part, having a blue inked thumb. I paid $292.00 dollars. No problems at all.
That is for a one year extension, right?

I'm planning to enter Cambodia on a Ordinary Visa and then get a 3 month ER extension. I plan to bring proof of retirement income; I'm 56+. I'm assuming the cost of the 3 month ER will be approx $80 depending which travel agent handles it. Am i missing anything?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Bern wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:40 am
simaya wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:11 pm I just received my ER visa. I used to have an EB visa. I am nearly 60 years old. The only documents that were required was my passport and I had to sign a Paper that was written in Cambodian stating that I was changing my visa to an ER visa. I signed and got my thumb print on the page too. That was the most painful part, having a blue inked thumb. I paid $292.00 dollars. No problems at all.
That is for a one year extension, right?

I'm planning to enter Cambodia on a Ordinary Visa and then get a 3 month ER extension. I plan to bring proof of retirement income; I'm 56+. I'm assuming the cost of the 3 month ER will be approx $80 depending which travel agent handles it. Am i missing anything?
You don't need proof of income but you need to ensure that your agent knows the relevant age is 55. Some of them think it is 60.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

Right, so who under 55 years old has successfully applied for a first time ER EOS in the last month? Which agent did you do it through and what did they want for paperwork? I've asked in a couple of PP agents in the last week and both said "under 55, cannot".
Ifivetoldu1s
Tourist
Belgium

Post by Ifivetoldu1s »

I just signed up to say thank you for the helpful information.
I believe is about time I acted here.
Ifivetoldu1s
Tourist
Belgium

Post by Ifivetoldu1s »

walkjivefly wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:38 pm Right, so who under 55 years old has successfully applied for a first time ER EOS in the last month? Which agent did you do it through and what did they want for paperwork? I've asked in a couple of PP agents in the last week and both said "under 55, cannot".
Also interested to hear. I need to do something soon. I am not sure if this is good way for me
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Thailand has announced it will no longer accept, and the American, British and Australian embassies will no longer issue income verification letters after the end of this year, and Thai Immigration is saying that only a deposit of 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank will serve as proof of income, despite the obvious fact that having income and having 800,000 Baht to sit interest free in a Thai bank account are two different things.

Cambodia may have a flood of new retirement visa applicants very soon.
Changes that make it more difficult to stay seem to be getting very common. I understand the Philippines have tightened the rules too.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Its the embassies that are stopping the letters, not immigration is not accepting them, ( there valid for 6 months so if u get one dec 30th it's valid till june 30th) . The Embassies are claiming it is NOT their responsibility to verify the income the applicant "swears" to is what he actually gets and immigration wants them to, This has been a loophole forever.

The 800,000 in the bank is NOT for proof of income but proof you can live in Thailand for a year, Whats strange thou is the requirement for a married couple, (Western man, Thai lady) is only 400,000 in the bank

Soon immigration will send out a note as to what they will require as proof of income vs the letter. 65,000 baht/month (45,0000 if married)

Patience grasshopper. :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Robins wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:09 am Thailand has announced it will no longer accept, and the American, British and Australian embassies will no longer issue income verification letters after the end of this year, and Thai Immigration is saying that only a deposit of 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank will serve as proof of income, despite the obvious fact that having income and having 800,000 Baht to sit interest free in a Thai bank account are two different things.

Changes that make it more difficult to stay seem to be getting very common. I understand the Philippines have tightened the rules too.
Are you sure about it? Was at my embassy yesterday and the embassy was making big money by giving out these letters. They charged EUR 47 to convert a copy of a bank statement to an official letter. Great business model by the way.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:47 am
Robins wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:09 am Thailand has announced it will no longer accept, and the American, British and Australian embassies will no longer issue income verification letters after the end of this year, and Thai Immigration is saying that only a deposit of 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank will serve as proof of income, despite the obvious fact that having income and having 800,000 Baht to sit interest free in a Thai bank account are two different things.

Are you sure about it? Was at my embassy yesterday and the embassy was making big money by giving out these letters. They charged EUR 47 to convert a copy of a bank statement to an official letter. Great business model by the way.
• For those whose visas will expire in November 2018 – May 2019, you can still get the Proof of Income certified by the Consulate/Embassy before 12th December 2018 (for British Nationals)
and before 30th December 2018 (for U.S. Nationals and Australian Nationals), and col etc it until it can be used when it’s time for the visa renewal.
Due to the fact that the Proof of Income from the Consulate/Embassy will valid for 6 months, if you obtain it in November or December 2018, it will still be efficient in until April – May 2019.

Actually good till end ofjune if u do end of Dec
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:18 am
Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:47 am

• For those whose visas will expire in November 2018 – May 2019, you can still get the Proof of Income certified by the Consulate/Embassy before 12th December 2018 (for British Nationals)
and before 30th December 2018 (for U.S. Nationals and Australian Nationals), and col etc it until it can be used when it’s time for the visa renewal.
Due to the fact that the Proof of Income from the Consulate/Embassy will valid for 6 months, if you obtain it in November or December 2018, it will still be efficient in until April – May 2019.

Actually good till end ofjune if u do end of Dec
No sign of my embassy giving up this lucrative business. Not US or UK though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic