Changes in ER (retirement) visa ? Proof of retirement required ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Changes in ER (retirement) visa ? Proof of retirement required ?

Post by phuketrichard »

EG visa,extend once

...and than can you leave, get a new ordinary visa and extend for another 6-12 months (eg) for those Under retirement age but have $$$??
LOOP HOLE?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Some of the posts I'm reading make me really wonder about you lot...I can't even bother explaining visa stuff anymore, some of you will never be able to grasp it

:facepalm:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:24 pm Some of the posts I'm reading make me really wonder about you lot...I can't even bother explaining visa stuff anymore, some of you will never be able to grasp it

Don't do that! I am taking your advise and good knowledge.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
shlomo
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by shlomo »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:25 pm you might be better off trying to find a copy in Khmer.
Quite.

Paging PTSD Kiwi, master and commander of all things marriage, passport, visa, and WP in the Kingdom of Wonder.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:19 pm EG visa,extend once

...and than can you leave, get a new ordinary visa and extend for another 6-12 months (eg) for those Under retirement age but have $$$??
LOOP HOLE?
I would imagine that once you have a first issue EG visa it will negate getting a EB visa and extending it without documentation, and visa versa.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Nothing ceases to amaze me anymore.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:24 pm Some of the posts I'm reading make me really wonder about you lot...I can't even bother explaining visa stuff anymore, some of you will never be able to grasp it

Onaroll
Tourist
Canada

Post by Onaroll »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:11 pm According to posts on social media, the immigration authorities are now asking for proof of retirement from your home country before issuing ER visa extemsions (otherwise known as retirement visas.) This obligation is said to have come into force on 29 September 2017 (last Friday.)

As usual, it is not clear if this applies to everyone all over the country, and whether the application of this requirement will be strictly enforced. It may also turn out to be a rumour. Also unknown is whether or not this applies to both 6 and 12 month visa extensions, and exactly what documents will be needed to satisfy Cambodian immigration.
If anyone has first hand up-to-date information (from 29 September)on obtaining an ER, please share.

From today's Expats and Locals Living in Sihanoukville page:
--------------------------------------------------------------
As per request of the Original Post, I can confirm that I applied for an ER Visa extension to replace my currently expiring EB Visa.
Application was submitted to agency in Siem Reap on Oct.4, 2017.
I received my passport today (Oct. 12, 2017) with my ER Visa extension for 12 months included. All good.!!
Note that I am 61 years old.
I submitted my passport, along with a photo (which was returned with my passport), a copy of my account balance at a local bank (not hard to setup a bank account), and a copy of a letter confirming that I am retired. This letter was written by me and was not issued by any government office.

The text of the letter is as follows:

RETIREMENT CONFIRMATION LETTER
DATE: 03-10-2017

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to confirm that I, xxxxxxxxxxxx, am not employed or working and am currently retired.

I am applying for a 12 month extension of my current EB Visa #E1 01xxxxxxx.
Issue Date: 12-OCT-2016
Expiry Date: 23-OCT-2017
I would like to be issued with a 12 month ER Visa.

My current finances are as follows:
I receive a monthly income of $1800 USD per month from a self managed retirement fund.
I also hold a USD savings account in Cambodia at xxxx Bank in Siem Reap with a current balance of $xx,xxx USD (copy of account balance attached).

My details are as follows:

Name on Passport: xxxxxx
Nationality: xxxxxx
Sex: x
Date of Birth: xxxx
Place of Birth: xxxx
Passport Issued by: xxxx
Passport Number: xxxxx
Passport Issue Date: xxxxx
Passport Expiry Date: xxxx

Should there be any issues with this request, please contact me via email at [email protected].

Thank you for your help.
Signed
xxxxxxxx

So, if you are old enough (I have no idea what the "official" retirement age is) and have enough cash in a local bank, it seems that it is not a problem to get a retirement visa for 12 months. At least, it worked for me.
Best of luck.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Your name is the same as your Nationality!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks for posting that. The letter was a great idea. There's nothing like a bit of paper to make things look official.
That said, TIC, and what works in one travel agency may not work at another, what works today may not work tomorrow etc. That's why it's the KOW.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic