Lowcost locations for expats; Vietnam takes topspot.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Lowcost locations for expats; Vietnam takes topspot.

Post by hanno »

siliconlife wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:35 am
hanno wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:16 am
siliconlife wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:34 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 am I have no idea how they measure that but I am currently in Ha Noi and find it considerably more expensive than Cambodia, especially when buying things like cheese or cold cuts or going out to eat.
I found Ha Noi living much cheaper than Cambodia. Some things are more expensive, but in general, compared to Siem Reap and PP i was spending about 2/3rds what i would spend for regular stuff eg meals, dental visits, you name it, and a most of it better quality too.
We obviously have different life styles as I spend considerably more in Ha Noi than in Temple Town. Imported things such as cheeses are 50% more expensive in Ha Noi, I spend a lot of money on Uber or Grab, the rent for a small serviced apartment is higher than for my 4-bedroom house in SR, and so on.
Yeah, rent is a bit pricier, that's true. I tend to eat more imported food in Cambodia because the local stuff is so unappealing to me, but was eating like a king in Hanoi for $5 or less a day, $10 if you want to go to little restaurants and have something different to street food. Maybe I just found that the quality I was getting for the prices I was paying was just so much better than Cambo.
Agreed, but I meant the Western restaurants. There is a complete oversupply in Temple Town so prices for Western food are pretty low.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

From the OP, the reason why Myanmar is #3 in the Personal Finance list (do you have enough money to live on?) is because there is bugger-all to buy....
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I'm only just starting to plan an initial look and see Hanoi trip March or April time, probably for a month. I normally spend the equivalent of $500 a month here in Thailand on food and booze so I'm guessing that shouldn't be too off the mark, but wondering what I should allow for accomodation and transport ? Is $20-$25 a night likely to get me something reasonable in Central Hanoi ?
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic