Teachers Wanted: No Negroes, Indians, Mongoloids Need Apply

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Teachers Wanted: No Negroes, Indians, Mongoloids Need Apply

Post by frank lee bent »

they hire drunks, junkies and worse.
they dont give a shit for quality,
they just want whities coz the clients have a ridiculous perception that they are "real" americans, brits, ozzies, kiwis etc.
all smoke and mirrors
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

littlelostgirl wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:00 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:53 am
MY daughter had a Filipino teacher ( she went to a Montessori school year 2). After having so many problem with the teaches mis-pronunciation of English words, i pulled her out
Although many Filipinos speak English, its not always correct.
Who should be blamed? The Filipinos or the school that hired that person?
BOTH;
1.the school for trying to get an english speaker that english is NOT their first language
2. the teacher, she was the one that constantly mis-pronounced words
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
littlelostgirl
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by littlelostgirl »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:13 am
MY daughter had a Filipino teacher ( she went to a Montessori school year 2). After having so many problem with the teaches mis-pronunciation of English words, i pulled her out
BOTH;
1.the school for trying to get an english speaker that english is NOT their first language
So you're telling me just because it's not our first language, we're not qualified to teach english?
Have I detected a racist comment? lol

That is sad. I should tell all "english speaker that english is NOT their first language", to stop wasting their time in the university.
Don't take English majors cause whatever you do, you will never be qualified.
So umm, almost all of the population that aren't American or British? I might have left some countries out, I'm not qualified enough to mention countries, Sorry.

I think YOU are one of the reason why racist job posts exists.. including OP's
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

littlelostgirl wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:32 am
BOTH;
So you're telling me just because it's not our first language, we're not qualified to teach english?

That is not a racist comment! The comment is about how well the person understands English.

That is sad. I should tell all "english speaker that english is NOT their first language", to stop wasting their time in the university.
So umm, almost all of the population that aren't American or British? I might have left some countries out, I'm not qualified enough to mention countries, Sorry.

Again it depends on how well the qualified student understands the English language. You should not be racist about the language you have learnt, and of the people whom have founded that language.

Racism here for example - is when a fellow Khmer says to my lady, "why are you having your hair styled in the salon" with the comment, "You have no colour", Meaning my lady is BLACK. Like most SE Asians white skin complexion is best.
Last edited by AndyKK on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

That wouldn't have happened with Filipino nurses :D
A couple of Filipenos I know are senior nurses working here. One also teaches English to Cambodian nurses in addition to supplying "on the job" nursing training. The English teaching is to assist nurses with their ability to communicate with foreign (English speaking) patients. I have no first hand experience on how well this is progressing, but their nursing experience, and dedication in the hospital is exemplary. Filipino nurses have a good reputation world wide.

Vijaya Sen, Human Resource Director, Zulekha Hospital.
Sen said she came to Manila to recruit Filipino nurses as Zulekha Hospital in the UAE expands in the Gulf region."Filipino nurses have the required skills, they are very good in communication. It is an inherent quality to be courteous, and caregiving comes naturally to them," the she added.

Matthew Richards, recruitment chief, Kings Commercial.
Richards said most British hospitals prefer to hire Filipino workers due to their talent in tending to patients."Nurses in the Philippines have a general caring nature, provide a high level of empathy and compassion towards patients," he said. Registered nurses in the UK are entitled to bring their families with them, and can avail of free health care and education, the recruitment professional said.
(ABS-CBN News 27 July 2017)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

littlelostgirl wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:32 am
BOTH;

Hey,take it anyway you wish..... i am telling you about a PERSONAL experience i had with 2 Filipino teachers.I was not happy with them teaching englsh and other subjects to my daughter,
That's not racism, the teachers were NOT qualified to be teaching english or teaching in english

I agree about the Filipino nurses,we have many of them in the international hospitals here and they do a great job.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Glad to see the above glowing reports about nurses from The Philippines. The sad truth is that English teachers from The Philippines are hired in Cambodia for dirt cheap wages. I also suspect that their nonnative English presents less of a threat to nonnative English speaking Cambodians.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
littlelostgirl
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by littlelostgirl »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:01 am
Racism here for example - is when a fellow Khmer says to my lady, "why are you having your hair styled in the salon" with the comment, "You have no colour", Meaning my lady is BLACK. Like most SE Asians white skin complexion is best.
There are tons of racist people not only in Asia
Somehow I feel like you're only pinning it to me or Asians in general.
I don't know what you're trying to prove. Everyone is racist to certain people, don't we all know that already

I'm just saying to that guy that not all Filipinos are unqualified
If the school hired an uneducated person. You shouldn't view that person as the color of her skin, but her abilities.

I'm Asian and also Nigerian. I've lived in both worlds to see how mean people can be.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

prahocalypse now wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:46 am
littlelostgirl wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:21 am The white skin only part, is a tiny bit racist, don't think it's something big to be honest..
How can it only be a 'tiny bit racist' if it is essentially saying that you cannot do this job if you're black, brown, yellow, or whatever?

If Donald Trump wakes up tomorrow and announces that he is going to fire all government employees who are not white, I am sure people will say he is more than 'a tiny bit racist'.
I can see that you have picked up on something here that displeases you. Its all about the English interpretation.
In a western country people would have to think more of what they had written, Due to minority people jumping on the racism band wagon. I think in Cambodia this way of practice doesn't work here. Some Khmer are probably racist about colour, European white, black or brown.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

littlelostgirl wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:30 am
AndyKK wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:01 am
There are tons of racist people not only in Asia
Somehow I feel like you're only pinning it to me or Asians in general.
I don't know what you're trying to prove. Everyone is racist to certain people, don't we all know that already

I am certainly not "pinning it to you or Asians". I am a white man with a very dark Khmer girl friend. And I am not a racist.

I'm just saying to that guy that not all Filipinos are unqualified
If the school hired an uneducated person. You shouldn't view that person as the color of her skin, but her abilities.

I also am not saying all Filipinos are not qualified! I was commenting on how well they where educated within their second language.
The same can be said about a white, black, brown skin. Second or first English language.

I'm Asian and also Nigerian. I've lived in both worlds to see how mean people can be.
The point of the post is that it is the colour that as offended, and not the education or qualifications.
The school want white people BECAUSE the Khmer parents want this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic