Thai junta leader, backers fuel suspicions of plans to stay in power

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thai junta leader, backers fuel suspicions of plans to stay in power

Post by phuketrichard »

I said back in 2016 when they said elections were going to be held end of the year, i doubted if they would be held ever again ( well,at least not for a Long time)

he is watching what HE does and says, " why cant i do the same?"

BANGKOK (Reuters) - In his dark suit, Thai junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha cut an incongruous figure guiding a rice tractor across a muddy paddy field in front of cameras and watching villagers.
The prime minister’s latest photo opportunity won applause from farmers watching in straw hats and his visit to Suphan Buri on Monday brought a call from a local political bigwig for him to stay in power for another decade.
Political activities in Thailand have been suspended since Prayuth’s 2014 coup, but Thai politicians are asking whether what looks like campaigning is exactly what it seems.

A poll in June showed that 53 percent of Thais would like Prayuth to serve another term.
Although Thailand’s economic growth lags other countries in Southeast Asia and dissent is strongly repressed, surveys show that Prayuth’s backers welcome the stability since the coup.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thai ... SKCN1BZ01D
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thai junta leader, backers fuel suspicions of plans to stay in power

Post by sigmoid »

Actually, it has been quite evident that there would be no election in the foreseeable future since May 22, 2014, the date of the most recent coup d'etat, and easily predictable prior to that based on the following three events:

1) dissolution of parliament and aborted election (Feb 02)

2) removal of Yingluck and cabinet (May 07)

3) imposition of martial law (May 20)

It comes as no surprise that there has been no election scheduled since then. The imminent death of the king was another huge factor as well, as of course there could be no risk allowed during the mourning and upcoming cremation.

The rest of the story is easily predictable as well (apocalyptic doom and gloom) as are events in Myanburmar and Cambochea. Most of the region and the rest of the planet are rapidly devolving instead of developing.

Enjoy the death spiral of civilization whilst you still can.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic