25 Sep 17 - Latest on Work Permits

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 25 Sep 17 - Latest on Work Permits

Post by Kammekor »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:16 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:09 pm Agencies have not been able to process DL's for the past couple months, and all WP applications must be submitted via the online portal since it went into effect last year, most agencies haven't been able to process WPs for quite some time.
Yes exactly, my DL renewal was caught up by LL for the past couple of months.

LL were telling me outright that they were processing WPs prior to Pchum Ben, and very keen to take my cash. Surely, they weren't being dishonest? ;)

Edit: Will somebody PLEASE fix these stupid icons? Wink code has been universal since forever, why is it different here?
LL provided me with a new driving license (after the old one was stolen) for a ridiculous rate, but they managed (they complained to me about the hoops they had to jump through to get it done), the license was dated 27-07-2017 so the past 'couple of months' must be taken literally - 2 months or less.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:08 am Fairly certain I've posted this information several times already, including a sample copy of what it should look like, but since you asked politely Jamie here ya go...

Residence Certification Letter*

To obtain this document, foreigners should go to the local commune (sangkat) office where the applicant resides/ resided in Cambodia to request the letter. There is a no-standard administrative fee for the provision of this letter.

Applicants should bring the following documents:
• If he/she is Cambodian: ID card, family book/ residence book, and house rental agreement (if he/ she did not own a house).
• If he/she is a foreigner: Passport, house rental agreement, job letter and other related documents to support the claim of residence.

Note:

The information in the residence certificate letter includes:
1. name of resident
2. house address
3. how long/length of stay that the resident stayed/ has stayed at that address.

The applicant may authorize someone living in Cambodia to apply for this letter for them. The applicant will need to provide an authorization letter for that person. However acceptance of this letter will be dependent on the commune (sangkat) office. There is no national standard for this type of work.
ah right, yeah i knew you had posted details about this document before,
i was mainly asking if it was a separate/different document that was specific for driving licenses,
but im guessing from this, its just the standard residence certificate you need to take with you when applying for your license,
(PS. thanks for digging it up anyway, im sure it will be useful to lurkers as well as myself)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:55 pm question;
...your original valid driving license from your home-country
could i get a Cambodian license using my 5 year thai license, (All in english) ?

a 1 year license is only 40,000 riel now?? Weren't they like $35 before? :thumb: :thumb:
I do believe that, legally, your Thai DL can be used in Cambodia, Richard. Tell me I'm wrong?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

yes, legally i can use it worldwide ( i have used it in France, Myanmar and the usa) as its in English and for sure in any ASEAN country but wondering if lived there it would be valid concerning insurance.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Let’s get the obvious one out of the way. By law, you are obliged to have a Cambodian licence if you are driving any type of motorised vehicle, except motorcycles under 125cc. Your national driving licence is not valid here, and neither is the International Driving Permit.

As a Cambodian driving licence also serves as a form of identification, you can use it, for example, to check into hotels when you travel around the country, which allows you to leave your precious passport safely stashed away back home.

Think of it also in insurance terms: most insurers will not cover you in case of an accident if you are not in possession of a local permit. Finally, take into consideration that under the 1985 Agreement on the Recognition of Domestic Driving License Issued by ASEAN countries – which the Kingdom acceded in 1999 – a Cambodian driving licence allows you to drive legally in Thailand, Malaysia, and any other ASEAN nation.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Aren't forgieners abliged to have access to their passpoet/visa at all times?
I'd certainly not travel too far without it. Especially to the wifes province as the local cops often want a copy and some tea money.

I've heard barang can get a 10 year licence or is only Chinese? Must say I've never met or heard anyone with one in all my years in KOW.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

bangkokhooker wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 am Aren't forgieners abliged to have access to their passpoet/visa at all times?
I'd certainly not travel too far without it. Especially to the wifes province as the local cops often want a copy and some tea money.

I've heard barang can get a 10 year licence or is only Chinese? Must say I've never met or heard anyone with one in all my years in KOW.
Personally I have never come across a problem with police in the provinces (sticks). Anyone else had this kind of shit paying tea monies?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

bangkokhooker wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 am Aren't forgieners abliged to have access to their passpoet/visa at all times?

Never carry my pp around, although I do have a shrunken copy of my bio-page and current visa which I've laminated and take with me when traveling outside of PP, as well as a digital copy on my phone incase I'm ever asked.. Never been asked though, even when staying out in the provinces. When in the province just introduce yourself to the local coppers, buy them a few beers, no problems.

Yes, all foreigners can get a 10 yr DL, but you need to sit and pass both the official theory and practical tests.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:42 am

Never carry my pp around, although I do have a shrunken copy of my bio-page and current visa which I've laminated and take with me when traveling outside of PP, as well as a digital copy on my phone incase I'm ever asked.. Never been asked though, even when staying out in the provinces. When in the province just introduce yourself to the local coppers, buy them a few beers, no problems.

Yes, all foreigners can get a 10 yr DL, but you need to sit and pass both the official theory and practical tests.
Might have to get one of those puppies (DL).
Do you actually know anyone who's done the test and holds a 10 year licence?
Can they get them renewed at Aeon Mall, as I'm assuming the machine would just see a 10 year licence not who it's owned by?
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:20 am

Personally I have never come across a problem with police in the provinces (sticks). Anyone else had this kind of shit paying tea monies?
But surely not worth the risk?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic