Bali Mount Agung Volcano Set to Blow Within 24 Hours

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Bali Mount Agung Volcano Set to Blow Within 24 Hours

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Unlucky story. My best friend was due to fly to Bali from Bangkok on Friday for a month diving and relaxing, decided to cancel given the airport has been shut for 3 days and the likely logistical nightmare potential. The good news is he got a full refund on his flight and accomodation.

Now the bad news, he has to go to Thai immigration in Jomtien to obtain an extension to his UK obtained tourist visa but never reported his address on arrival, ( he owns his own condo ), something which Jomtien immigration have been raking in the cash from in fines for the last 6 months since they decided to enforce the long standing rule. Will hear the outcome over lunch but I suspect his flight and accomodation refund could well be winging its way into immigration coffers.

Always best to do the right thing rather than rely on a workaround.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fines are only 2,000 baht for not reporting ur address on arrival, not a big deal. IF its required at all.
I have NEVER reported to immigration when i return from overseas or traveling in country at phuket immigration. no problems (YET)

The law is unclear an no one seems to understand it 100%. Here in Phuket u ONLY need do another TM 30 if u change ur address from what ur registered as staying at. BUT Patong thinks different.

Anyway Back to Bali

5.49pm: Mount Agung could be ‘particularly explosive’
Volcanologist Jacqueline Salzer warned that the erupting Mount Agung could be very deadly if it releases pyroclastic flows..
Speaking to DW, she said: “If the magma's highly viscous, the volcano can be particularly explosive.
“The reason is that gases are caught inside the magma, under pressure.
She added: “It's an unbelievably fast event: The pyroclastic streams reach speeds of several hundred kilometers per hour.
“Nobody can escape them. You have to be far enough away from the volcano – and early enough – to be safe.”
I feel sorry for the locals that left their homes awhile ago, Even when i was there last month tourism was down 30% or more in Places>
When Mt Agung blew in 1963, it blew for months...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Wednesday November 29

4.42am: Hazardous ash erupting from Bali’s Mount Agung volcano has been pulled across the island by a tropical cyclone near Java, Indonesian officials have warned.

Massive winds from cyclone Cempaka, which has been churning off the southern coast of Java, have begun blowing the ash spewing from Mt Agung towards Bali’s popular beaches – which attract more than five million tourists each year.

An eruption with an ash cloud higher than 15,000 feet could be even more dangerous as government authorities warn an explosion is imminent.

Gede Suantika from the nation’s Centre for Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation said such an eruption would likely send it into more populated areas.

3.32am: Warning downgraded.

The code red warning for air travel was downgraded to orange - the second highest level - after initially being issued on Monday.

Indonesian officials have warned that hazardous ash erupting from Mt Agung volcano has been pulled across the island by a tropical cyclone near Java.

Massive winds from cyclone Cempaka, which has been churning off the southern coast of Java, have begun blowing the ash spewing from Mt Agung towards Bali’s popular beaches – which attract more than five million tourists each year.

1.12am: Bali’s international airport still closed.

At least 120,000 visitors have been left stranded as Mount Agung continues to erupt huge clouds of ash and cold lava, closing Bali’s Ngurah Rai international airport and grounding flights.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bali's airport has re-opened at 3pm, though a number of airlines have said they won't be flying into Bali today
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

phuketrichard wrote:Bali's airport has re-opened at 3pm, though a number of airlines have said they won't be flying into Bali today
I just saw that, it feels awfully premature to me.

There would still be massive amounts of ash in the atmosphere that could cause havoc on plane engines.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:04 pm
phuketrichard wrote:Bali's airport has re-opened at 3pm, though a number of airlines have said they won't be flying into Bali today
I just saw that, it feels awfully premature to me.

There would still be massive amounts of ash in the atmosphere that could cause havoc on plane engines.
its all about the almighty $$$$$ :beer3:
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:42 am fines are only 2,000 baht for not reporting ur address on arrival, not a big deal. IF its required at all.
I have NEVER reported to immigration when i return from overseas or traveling in country at phuket immigration. no problems (YET)
Good for you but incorrect elsewhere, you will find Pattaya and Chiang Mai residents have to do it and the fines are on a daily basis and significantly more than 2,000 baht.

Anyway back to Bali for anyone that is suffering a news blackout.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cowboy,,, move to phuket LOL
State of emergency - airports open and closed - eruption continues

From the guv'nor
State of emergency extended in Bali to 10 December, by the governor of Bali today, Thursday.

Doors open, doors close
Bali's only airport is open today Thursday, and has been since Wednesday afternoon, with flights starting to clear the backlog of tourists delayed when the airport was closed for 3 days.
Lombok airport is closed again, after the wind direction change meant ash drifted east.

Gutted
Travel reports are coming in of the 12-20 hour ordeal to evacuate to Surubaya airport, as many decided to go for Plan B and try alternative airports for exiting the island.
More still stuck at Bali are experiencing the 'travail' part of travel. There was a backlog of around 90,000 travellers to clear.

Business as usual
Agung continues to erupt ash today. Maximum alert for Agung remains, and there has been bouts of frequent tremors from the volcano, with the possibility of a more explosive eruption which could happen at any moment .
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

still blowing, but not full eruption.

Bali airport opened for 2 days BUT Jetstar and Qantas have cancelled flights to Oz, Lombok airport reopened

7.05am: Lombok International Airport reopens

The airport on Bali’s neighbouring island returned to normal operations this morning after being forced to close due to the dangerous levels of ash pouring out of Mount Agung.

General Manager Gusti Ngurah Ardita said in a statement: “All flight operations both coming and departing from and to Lombok International Airport (LIA) resume normal operations.”

7am: Joe Tambini takes over live reporting.

2.31am: Holidaymakers stranded in Bali after airlines abandon rescue operations

Jetstar and Qantas have cancelled flights scheduled to repatriate holidaymakers who have been stranded by the erupting Mount Agung following predictions that the wind changes will smother the flight path with ash.

The airlines had been hoping to get as many passengers off the island before the wind changed or a full scale eruption strikes.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

well, still hasn't blown and no one seems to know when ( yes it will) it will blow :beer3:

Update on Agung, Tuesday 5th December 2017
Airports: both Bali and Lombok: OPEN with flights going
Aviation level: Orange - the second highest
Volcano warning level: IV (4) the highest
SAFE: Bali is safe, except the area in the radius of 8 to 10 km from the summit crater of Agung.

The crater appeared to be filling quite fast. It was projected that if this filling continues at current rates, it would fill in the next 5-10 days, with the potential for lava spilling over the crater and fast-flowing hot avalanches (known as pyroclastic flows), but only if there is a large enough magma supply and the eruption continues. Episodes of tremors continue to occur, indicating the upward movement of magma, and ground monitors showed the inflation of the ground.
Flights from China have been suspended until the threat of volcanic ash clears, according to the People’s Daily. Despite the resumption of flights and Bali’s airport being open since last Wednesday, China Southern and China Eastern have withdrawn flights awaiting clearance from the Civil Aviation Administration of China.
It might surprise you to learn that the biggest tourists to Bali no longer come from Australia. Tourists from China are now the largest percentage, totalling over a million, and those from China/Hong Kong and Taiwan now make up nearly a quarter of arrivals.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic