British Backpacker KIT MALLINSON Dies In Cambodia After Passing Out On Bus & Receiving Medical Attention Too Late

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

British Backpacker KIT MALLINSON Dies In Cambodia After Passing Out On Bus & Receiving Medical Attention Too Late

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

CAMBODIA NEWS: A BRITISH backpacker died of pneumonia after Cambodian police didn't bother looking for vital insurance papers he had in his bag when he collapsed.

Kit Mallinson, 18, was found unconscious on a night bus but could have been saved if police found documents which entitled him to proper medical care.

An ambulance was called to the scene and medics found the student was suffering from a severe chest infection and breathing difficulties but refused to treat him without proper insurance.

Instead, the teenager from Bridport, Dorset, was taken to a local hospital with limited equipment and medication.

Although police took his passport, the British Embassy was not informed until the following day and there was a 36-hour delay in getting Mr Mallinson to a private hospital.

His parents, Guy and Serena Mallinson, raced from their home to their son's bedside in Cambodia but arrived to be told he had died on December 14 last year.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: British Backpacker KIT MALLINSON Dies In Cambodia After Passing Out On Bus & Receiving Medical Attention Too Late

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

fuck, i have had pneumonia twice in India. The first time in 1972 i had no insurance but i was lucky, i got taken to the TB hospital in Panjim, goa and they saved my life, i spent 3 weeks in bed and they fed me and sorted me.
in 2012 i went back to the hospital to thank them, one nurse remembered me! I got a couple of thousand rupees worth of fruit for the patients and went on my way. Three days later i was back in hospital with pneumonia! i had insurance this time, as i always do now.
Poor guy. rip

charlie
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: British Backpacker KIT MALLINSON Dies In Cambodia After Passing Out On Bus & Receiving Medical Attention Too Late

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Devastating...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

And this is why it erks me when you see a Barang get admitted to the hospital here, ends up dying, and then friends and family start a GoFundMe, not to cover the hospital bill of the deceased, but to cover the costs of getting their corpse home, leaving the hospital who tried to save them high and dry.

It would be good if hospitals that took in dying Barangs knew that they would likely get paid later. Hard to blame them for wanting to make sure they have insurance first when they often get stuck with a huge bill for saving their lives, but the families generally have no problem getting the cash together to send their dead bodies back.

And I don't blame the police in this case either. In the West, people with medical issues are encouraged to wear a bracelet or something so that first responders can easily/quickly identify their issues. Can't blame police for not being able to find his insurance documents. That's life sometimes.

RIP
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
JessB52
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by JessB52 »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:36 am And this is why it erks me when you see a Barang get admitted to the hospital here, ends up dying, and then friends and family start a GoFundMe, not to cover the hospital bill of the deceased, but to cover the costs of getting their corpse home, leaving the hospital who tried to save them high and dry.

RIP
I would strongly disagree with this; often part of the costs are for the hospital to release the body before sending back home/cremating.

When a person dies in the hospital, the body remains the hospital property (they may 'lend' it to a morgue with more space) but they will (often) not release the body fully until all bills are paid - or whatever agreement on price is made.

This has been my experience here at least.

RIP to guy. Thoughts with his family.
Cambodia's answer to Bet Lynch

https://www.facebook.com/JessatQuealys
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Can't blame police for not being able to find his insurance documents.
This...

I have read horror stories about people in south-east Asia (not necessarily in Cambodia), who have comprehensive medical insurance, but in an accident or illness which renders them unconscious, the insurance documents are not seen and the person has subsequently died.

I have good insurance, stapled into my passport. But in an accident, this could be easily overlooked.

Assuming you have medical insurance, where do YOU keep this? Suggestions where to keep it when driving a car, riding a motorbike or during vigorous sex with a nubile whore decades younger than you.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

simon43 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Assuming you have medical insurance, where do YOU keep this? Suggestions where to keep it when (1)driving a car, (2)riding a motorbike or (3)during vigorous sex with a nubile whore decades younger than you.
(1) In the glove box
(2) in your wallet (first person to the scene of an accident is sure to look for your wallet)
(3) under the pile of used condoms (cops are bound to find it there)
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I have never thought about this. When i fly out next week i will put the emergency phone number in my passport AND wallet.

charlie
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

no medical insurance, but Platinum cc in the wallet LOL

US passport has a space for emergency contact #
BUT who carries their passport around?
When a person dies in the hospital, the body remains the hospital property (they may 'lend' it to a morgue with more space) but they will (often) not release the body fully until all bills are paid - or whatever agreement on price is made.
Also a body will not be released until the embassy says to allow it to be released according to the wishes of the will and usually ALL hospital bills including Morgue costs, paid in Full.

Been researching this recently as have had 4 friends died in the past 3 months, 2 had no wills and relatives had a real hassle getting the body released, having to fly over from the states while the body remained in the morgue and the gf could do nothing

NOTE to all
Make a will, make sure your Executor/Personal Representative, has all instructions on what info is sent to the embassy and have a living will as well
Last edited by phuketrichard on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:51 pm I have never thought about this. When i fly out next week i will put the emergency phone number in my passport AND wallet.

charlie
Add this app to your phone https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... free&hl=en

I know phones can get stolen, if all else fails a medical id bracelet or dog tag. https://www.universalmedicalid.co.uk/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic