British Backpacker KIT MALLINSON Dies In Cambodia After Passing Out On Bus & Receiving Medical Attention Too Late

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Backpacker KIT MALLINSON Dies In Cambodia After Passing Out On Bus & Receiving Medical Attention Too Late

Post by Kammekor »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:02 pm This story is unbelievable until you read that it happened in Cambodia. A young guy like that. All those rabbiting on about insurance: you do know a course of anti biotics would have been all he needed unless he had other problems, like heart disease etc. The hospital should have given him a saline and anti biotic drip. He should have been right as rain in around 3 days. Total cost in a health clinic around $30.
He probably got a chest infection and left it instead of doing the sensible thing and googling it or at least asking a long timer here.
Total antibiotic cost around 2 to 3 dollars. I'm guessing the health department is covering up for their hopeless ineptitude at saving an 18 year old's life. Yes, it's their responsibility to make sure the country's health clinics are run by professionaly trained people who passed their exams on merit alone, and that they are equipped to deal with one of the major causes of death out here.
Antibiotics, saline drip and a bed, perhaps also some oxygen.
Glad you're not my doc... Just because someone used the word pneumonia in this thread doesn't mean the poor fellow suffered from pneumonia. Given his symptoms (difficulty breathing) he might have suffered from a whole range of diseases, all needing a different kind of treatment. To find out the cause of his disease AND provide him with an effective treatment a trained doctor and decent (blood) tests were needed, not just an IV drip and two USD of Amoxicillin and a bed. You're over simplifying medical practice I'm afraid.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: British Backpacker KIT MALLINSON Dies In Cambodia After Passing Out On Bus & Receiving Medical Attention Too Late

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:13 am
AlonzoPartriz wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:02 pm This story is unbelievable until you read that it happened in Cambodia. A young guy like that. All those rabbiting on about insurance: you do know a course of anti biotics would have been all he needed unless he had other problems, like heart disease etc. The hospital should have given him a saline and anti biotic drip. He should have been right as rain in around 3 days. Total cost in a health clinic around $30.
He probably got a chest infection and left it instead of doing the sensible thing and googling it or at least asking a long timer here.
Total antibiotic cost around 2 to 3 dollars. I'm guessing the health department is covering up for their hopeless ineptitude at saving an 18 year old's life. Yes, it's their responsibility to make sure the country's health clinics are run by professionaly trained people who passed their exams on merit alone, and that they are equipped to deal with one of the major causes of death out here.
Glad you're not my doc... Just because someone used the word pneumonia in this thread doesn't mean the poor fellow suffered from pneumonia. Given his symptoms (difficulty breathing) he might have suffered from a whole range of diseases, all needing a different kind of treatment. To find out the cause of his disease AND provide him with an effective treatment a trained doctor and decent (blood) tests were needed, not just an IV drip and two USD of Amoxicillin and a bed. You're over simplifying medical practice I'm afraid.
"An ambulance was called to the scene and medics found the student was suffering from a severe chest infection and breathing difficulties but refused to treat him without proper insurance."

Yeah, but shouldn't we start him on a broad spectrum antibiotic straight away until the tests come back? :stir:
See crook!!!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:28 am
Kammekor wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:13 am
"An ambulance was called to the scene and medics found the student was suffering from a severe chest infection and breathing difficulties but refused to treat him without proper insurance."

Yeah, but shouldn't we start him on a broad spectrum antibiotic straight away until the tests come back? :stir:
Broad spectrum antibiotics most probably wouldn't have harmed him, and there's even a slight chance it might have saved him, but to assume the poor fellow had a 'severe chest infection' just because two Cambodian medics on a Cambodian ambulance diagnosed him with that.... A bridge too far for me.
Besides, 'severe chest infections' (I assume they mean pneumonia, since a 'chest infection would be a respiratory infection which is rarely lethal) is a very, very rare occasion with a 19 Y.O. Of course there's a chance a the actual diagnosis of the medics was lost in translation.

Anyway, the medics not taking the poor fellow to the nearest decent hospital but instead just leaving him is simply criminal.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

prahocalypse now wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 pm
simon43 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Assuming you have medical insurance, where do YOU keep this? Suggestions where to keep it when (1)driving a car, (2)riding a motorbike or (3)during vigorous sex with a nubile whore decades younger than you.
(1) In the glove box
(2) in your wallet (first person to the scene of an accident is sure to look for your wallet)
(3) under the pile of used condoms (cops are bound to find it there)
this guy knows his shiz!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Parents of gap year Briton, 18, who died backpacking in Cambodia accuse authorites of 'cover-up'
Tuesday 19 September 2017

The devastated parents of an 18-year-old Briton who died while backpacking in Cambodia have accused local authorities of trying to cover-up his death because they failed to save his life.

“Adored son” Kit Mallinson was found unconscious on board a bus while travelling the south-east Asian country – but was denied vital hospital treatment because ambulance crew could not find his insurance documents, even though they were in his bag.

His parents, Serena and Guy Mallinson, told an inquest in Bournemouth on Tuesday Mr Mallinson was instead taken to a public hospital which they said lacked important equipment and medication for his pneumonia.

The hearing was also told the British Embassy was not notified until the evening of the next day. The embassy then informed Mr Mallinson's parents, who immediately arranged for him to be transferred to the private Royal Angkor International Hospital where he died six hours later in the early hours of December 14, 2016.

Mrs Mallinson said: "For reasons we do not understand, the embassy was not contacted for two days."
Mr Mallinson said: "When I asked the policeman why, he said he told his boss and he shrugged his shoulders, he couldn't care less."

He added that legal documents sent from the Cambodian authorities were full of inaccuracies and said they were a "cover-up" for their failures...
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/pare ... 38496.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Long way from Bournemouth I guess. Perhaps a little different to what they expected?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

No. They're just grieving and looking for anyone to blame. It's something to direct their attention too even though even if they get justice they will still hurt.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

I ordered one of those medical ID tags, customised with all my insurance and contact details.

10 weeks later and I still haven't received it. The company says there's no postal service tracking in Myanmar (where I live).

Come to think of it, nothing I have ordered from overseas has ever been successfully delivered to me in Myanmar! Bastard thieving Myanmar Postal Service (although quite what they would want with customised dog tags is beyond me...)
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

simon43 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:42 pm I ordered one of those medical ID tags, customised with all my insurance and contact details.

10 weeks later and I still haven't received it. The company says there's no postal service tracking in Myanmar (where I live).

Come to think of it, nothing I have ordered from overseas has ever been successfully delivered to me in Myanmar! Bastard thieving Myanmar Postal Service (although quite what they would want with customised dog tags is beyond me...)
Cambodia isn't any better. Unless you have tracking. My bank won't send my card through a tracked method like DHL. There are at the moment three of my cards ( two which have been canceled) somewhere in Cambodia. I contacted the bank a month before it ran out in July. Last one was sent on the 30, 10,2017 and still not arrived. O much for bank security. I even offered to pay for DHLing it. No, they said.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic