CEO rules, playing nice and karma

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ali baba
Expatriate

Re: CEO rules, playing nice and karma

Post by ali baba »

I'm enjoying these karma stories. Sometimes I give or take karma completely randomly just to troll Gen Mack.
Scarier than malaria.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

ali baba wrote:
Sometimes I give or take karma completely randomly just to troll Gen Mack.
I don't know if I'm ever going to get over it. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

As per my previous posts it seems that most of the karma problems are related to people abusing negative karma. The "Giving Karma" function is useful. For example on K440 I would sometimes type thoughtful posts and nobody would reply because they were too busy flaming each other or inside jokes or whatever --- so sometimes I would wonder if anyone even read my posts and if not, why bother in the first place?

Case in point -- nobody has replied yet to my Rain Dog rap thread (except a couple of trolls stalking me) but a few people have sent karma my way for the effort. I don't care much about the points but I appreciate the feedback that some people have read and reacted to it.

Likewise on the Islam bashing thread, I have received feedback by the way of karma from a few people who appreciate how I am dealing with a couple of people trolling me. The tool allows people to give feedback while at the same time not having to get personally involved in a thread that has turned so ugly.

The problem is a few people cannot be trusted to use negative karma in a constructive way, and even when it is used constructively it is usually received as a personal attack.

Positive karma helps build cohesion and interpersonal interactions and thus helps the forum where negative karma brings more divisiveness and hurts the forum.

Thus I think negative Karma should either be restricted to 1 point per hit or maybe restricted to admin as a form of warning before banning. Another option which I think Joon alluded to in her post is to have admin review negative karma awards for appropriateness but I think this could place more of a time burden on admin.

My 100 riel again.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

one of the things that helps with that is the forced delay for karma. keeps one troll from being able to negatively impact you much. it could be smarter, sure... like not letting 1 person give another person negative karma twice in the same preset period/etc. but with any of it, it's going to be impossible in any user based ranking system to eliminate it.... without eliminating the ability to assign negative entirely (such as facebook does with "like" but no "dislike"). that much is actually possible, would the majority find this preferential?
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:one of the things that helps with that is the forced delay for karma. keeps one troll from being able to negatively impact you much. it could be smarter, sure... like not letting 1 person give another person negative karma twice in the same preset period/etc. but with any of it, it's going to be impossible in any user based ranking system to eliminate it.... without eliminating the ability to assign negative entirely (such as facebook does with "like" but no "dislike"). that much is actually possible, would the majority find this preferential?
obviously i would vote yes --- or limiting it to admins
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

i think limiting it to us would be unfair... i'd like to hear feedback from others on the subject. particularly any arguments against the restriction.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

For example on K440 I would sometimes type thoughtful posts and nobody would reply because they were too busy flaming each other or inside jokes or whatever --- so sometimes I would wonder if anyone even read my posts and if not, why bother in the first place?
agree with you,
but the same shit goes on here
hence reason i pulled my bruma trip thread,
got nothing

I only give negative karma and only done that twice , i think
i hate the whole idea of it and want a like button :thumb:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Well today I got my first negative Karma, not once but twice (this is not a challenge btw, lol)

Negative 1. I tried to support a fellow member, who I saw as receiving the rough end of the stick. HE then gave me negative karma, wtf

Negative 2. Another poster read me efforts to help the first poster, thought I was having a go at him and not, as I actually was, trying to support him and gave me more negative karma.

Hey Ho! Maybe in time they will see the error of their ways and give it back, lol :good:

I do like the karma function and think it does have a place on CEO but lets not cry too much over it.

There are one or two people (not meaning the above mentioned) who do seem to use it as some sort of 'Get Even' weapon, I am sure in time they will grow out of it.

The site seems very slow today, so I just visited a thread about it ( just to read, not comment) and now the site is fast again, lol, now that is a sort of karma, I guess (thanks Dragon)

:hattip:
Last edited by EdinWigan on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

this was one point :roll:
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Karma seems to be used as a weapon by some. I myself never really use it. As phuket Richard said, a like button would be better.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic