Necklace snatch-and-grab foiled by valiant tuktuk driver, Phnom Penh.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Necklace snatch-and-grab foiled by valiant tuktuk driver, Phnom Penh.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

17 September 2017
PHNOM PENH - According to police, a 33-year-old Cambodian woman, riding a tuk-tuk from Samaki City, aiming to return home at Pochentong, was set upon by some bandits on a motorbike coming from the opposite direction. They attempted to snatch the necklace from the victim's neck, but she hung on to her jewellery, and her tuktuk driver gave chase to the would-be thieves and tracked them down, forcing them to stop. The police were called and the villains were taken away to the lock up.
ImageImageImage
http://khmeread.com/posts/27991
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Necklace snatch-and-grab foiled by valiant tuktuk driver, Phnom Penh.

Post by StroppyChops »

Wait, what? The would-be bandits attempted to grab a necklace from a passenger in a tuktuk (okay, it's possible) but then the tuktuk ran down the bandits who were on a moto, and caught them?

Related side-note, a friend of Mrs Stroppy was dragged from her own moto last night when moto thieves grabbed her bag and the strap failed to snap - some nasty road rash and scratches and bruises. The friend is annoyed as the trip to the clinic cost her more than was in the bag the thieves got away with. My good Christian view is that these punks are predatory, and it should be legal to shoot them on sight.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:50 pm Wait, what? The would-be bandits attempted to grab a necklace from a passenger in a tuktuk (okay, it's possible) but then the tuktuk ran down the bandits who were on a moto, and caught them?
What I was thinking. Not only did the Tuk-tuk have to turn around, he then supposedly gave chase. I hope the passengers managed to bail, would have been a hell of a ride.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

We need vigilantes.

bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:50 pm Wait, what? The would-be bandits attempted to grab a necklace from a passenger in a tuktuk (okay, it's possible) but then the tuktuk ran down the bandits who were on a moto, and caught them?

Related side-note, a friend of Mrs Stroppy was dragged from her own moto last night when moto thieves grabbed her bag and the strap failed to snap - some nasty road rash and scratches and bruises. The friend is annoyed as the trip to the clinic cost her more than was in the bag the thieves got away with. My good Christian view is that these punks are predatory, and it should be legal to shoot them on sight.
Really?
So you would shoot some young Cambodian lad, someones child/brother/uncle. for bag snatching. You'd take a human life. Righto.

I am guessing you won't and couldn't even if you were given a gun and told to go ahead.

You're into "Social Enterprises" right, giving people a chance in life who maybe from a poor and/or uneducated background I would guess, yes?

:facepalm:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

not just that but;
....some bandits on a motorbike coming from the opposite direction
:plus1: :plus1:

you got to be dam quick to reach in and grab while heading in the opposite direction.

GF and her Barang bf were robbed last week by 6 guys on 3 motorbikes, they dragged him off his bike and beat him, broke his color bone, she had her whole left arm and leg road rash
be careful out there
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Hey BKH, even God has a stormy North side.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Really?
So you would shoot some young Cambodian lad, someones child/brother/uncle. for bag snatching. You'd take a human life. Righto.

I am guessing you won't and couldn't even if you were given a gun and told to go ahead.

You're into "Social Enterprises" right, giving people a chance in life who maybe from a poor and/or uneducated background I would guess, yes?

Have you ever seen in real life what happens to thieves that are caught here? They get kicked to death regularly. Don't be so fucking naive.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:53 pm
bangkokhooker wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Really?

Have you ever seen in real life what happens to thieves that are caught here? They get kicked to death regularly. Don't be so fucking naive.
Ohh, who got your nickers in a twist.

Calm down love.
Just asking why SC thinks its a good idea to advocate violence that he himself would not have the balls to do and not in his country. This ain't Kansas.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:01 pmI am guessing you won't and couldn't even if you were given a gun and told to go ahead.
While I don't feel I owe you an explanation, or even a reply, I spent my final night in Australia at a shooting range checking whether I could still shoot - turns out I can, very respectable clusters with a 9mm and a .45. I'd find the target photos if I cared enough, they're around somewhere, but I suspect you're not actually interested in reality. You make some interesting assumptions when you have no clue what you're talking about... For example, if someone messed with one of the social enterprise team (oh, look, I mentioned the social enterprise, that should be good for some criticism) they'd meet me in a way they wouldn't like much.
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:32 pmnot just that but;
....some bandits on a motorbike coming from the opposite direction
:plus1: :plus1:

you got to be dam quick to reach in and grab while heading in the opposite direction.
Obviously a better tuktuk driver than I am, and I'm a damned good one.
John Bingham wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:53 pmHave you ever seen in real life what happens to thieves that are caught here? They get kicked to death regularly. Don't be so fucking naive.
This. I personally have no issue with shooting predators in the act or a crowd of their peers kicking them to death if there is no other justice to be held. As most know, I'm an ex-con, and I'm the first to say it - can't pay, don't play. Shalom, by the way.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic