Vitamin and mineral supplements

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Vitamin and mineral supplements

Post by armchairlawyer »

As far as I can tell, these are limited in availability here, and expensive and low potency. I have seen stocks at Ucare, for example. Bangkok seems a bit better but still way inferior to western suppliers. Any thoughts?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Vitamin and mineral supplements

Post by Username Taken »

Several assorted pieces of fruit each day might help. :)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

armchairlawyer wrote:As far as I can tell, these are limited in availability here, and expensive and low potency. I have seen stocks at Ucare, for example. Bangkok seems a bit better but still way inferior to western suppliers. Any thoughts?
GNC in Bangkok.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I am assuming you are American, as they seem to have an unhealthy appetite for supplements? Most countries in the West you mention believe in a balanced diet instead. Just saying.....
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

hanno wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:46 am I am assuming you are American, as they seem to have an unhealthy appetite for supplements? Most countries in the West you mention believe in a balanced diet instead. Just saying.....
:thumb:
Supplements can be beneficial, but the key to vitamin and mineral success is eating a balanced diet. Before taking vitamin and mineral supplements, talk to your physician about your personal dietary plan.http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condition ... b9MCsYxVLM

MONDAY, Dec. 16, 2013 (HealthDay News) -- With three new studies finding that a daily multivitamin won't help boost the average American's health, the experts behind the research are urging people to abandon use of the supplements.

The studies found that popping a daily multivitamin didn't ward off heart problems or memory loss, and wasn't tied to a longer life span.

The studies, published in the Dec. 17 issue of the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, found that multivitamin and mineral supplements did not work any better than placebo pills.

Dietary supplements are a multibillion-dollar industry in the United States, and multivitamins account for nearly half of all vitamin sales, according to the U.S. Office of Dietary Supplements.

But a growing body of evidence suggests that multivitamins offer little or nothing in the way of health benefits, and some studies suggest that high doses of certain vitamins might cause harm.http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-suppl ... vitamins#1
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:39 am
armchairlawyer wrote:As far as I can tell, these are limited in availability here, and expensive and low potency. I have seen stocks at Ucare, for example. Bangkok seems a bit better but still way inferior to western suppliers. Any thoughts?
GNC in Bangkok.
Thank you for answering my question as opposed to offering me unsolicited health advice (believe it or not I am familiar with all the arguments for and against using supplements!)
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:51 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:39 am
GNC in Bangkok.
Thank you for answering my question as opposed to offering me unsolicited health advice (believe it or not I am familiar with all the arguments for and against using supplements!)
I'm glad to hear it, but it does no harm to provide health promotion information. This is a public forum rather than just one on one advice, if you are aware of the studies and chose to continue use of supplements fine, however there may be some reading this post that are unaware of the studies, and will benefit from the information.

The large body of accumulated evidence has important public health and clinical implications. Evidence is sufficient to advise against routine supplementation, and we should translate null and negative findings into action. The message is simple: Most supplements do not prevent chronic disease or death, their use is not justified, and they should be avoided. This message is especially true for the general population with no clear evidence of micronutrient deficiencies, who represent most supplement users in the United States and in other countries. http://annals.org/aim/article/1789253/e ... upplements
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

All right then, if you are going to have a debate, then it is not acceptable to pull one study off the shelf and ignore everything else. For a more balanced view see this,
http://www.oprah.com/health/vitamins-ar ... ad-for-you
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

expensive here along with a lot of OTC pharma products.
i got 1000 ibuprofen in usa for $6.50 ish
vitamins about half the price of here
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

yeah,I,m gonna take health advice from a TV personality who probably has shares in the scam.

charlie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic