THailand just got a bit more expensive

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: THailand just got a bit more expensive

Post by Username Taken »

From https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/currency

"Historically, the Thai Baht reached an all time high of 55.50 in January of 1998 and a record low of 20.36 in July of 1981."

walkabout10$ST
Tourist
Australia

Post by walkabout10$ST »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:21 pm From https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/currency

"Historically, the Thai Baht reached an all time high of 55.50 in January of 1998 and a record low of 20.36 in July of 1981."

Obviously the Thai baht is too strong the country is just as expensive as the west.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Brewer wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:12 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:24 am
Brewer wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:36 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:46 pm the GBP / THB rate has improved recently its 45>1 now, it was 43 the other day, not as good as past few years though,
GBP gone up against the USD to 1.36, up from the 1.2 it was at the beginning of the year, which is promising for me haha
That's still a big "ouch". I've not been to Thailand since 2005 and it was about 70:£ The first time I went back in late 1997 it was 65 but I also went again in early 1998 after their currency collapsed and was getting in excess of 92:£ :thumb:

That was the most absurdly cheap three week holiday I've ever had. Not that the exchange rate matters to me now. The chances of me electing to go to Thailand over any other country in SE Asia are virtually zero.
best i known it was around 60:£ a couple of years ago
best ive known the dollar to be was when i went to mexico where it was pretty much $2-£1
I've kept an eye on the baht exchange rates since I first went there and it's clear I was pretty lucky to go when I did. I was lucky enough to go to the States when it was about $1.90/£ in 2008. My mate and I were ecstatic at our spending power, wholly unaware that it was a sign of a financial meltdown. :plus1: Looking back, that was a bit like the ocean sucking the tideline back just before the tsunami comes.

That mate was a lucky talisman for currencies. We got a good baht rate in Thailand and fucking stupendous dollar rates. We went to Singapore and it was $3/£ - prices there were almost reasonable.
Pity the cunt dropped dead whilst I was off on a trip he couldn't make. He keeled over from a heart attack in his early forties and the pound has been in the shitter ever since. I blame him for it!
haha thats exactly when i went to Mexico it was July 2008, it was $1.93 - £1, it was fucking awesome lol went 2 years later in 2010 and it had already dropped to about $1.60 i think was wounded lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

walkabout10$ST wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:17 pm
Username Taken wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:21 pm From https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/currency

Obviously the Thai baht is too strong the country is just as expensive as the west.
BULL;
except for shopping for American/imported goods at villa market, Thailand is cheaper across the board :beer1:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
walkabout10$ST
Tourist
Australia

Post by walkabout10$ST »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:06 pm
walkabout10$ST wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:17 pm

BULL;
except for shopping for American/imported goods at villa market, Thailand is cheaper across the board :beer1:
Shoes are more expensive in Thailand than the western world as is Fine wine ,chocolate bars , original designer clothing, cars,macdonalds ,burger king and electronics.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

and as i stated "except for shopping for American/imported goods"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
walkabout10$ST
Tourist
Australia

Post by walkabout10$ST »

:color
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:27 pm and as i stated "except for shopping for American/imported goods"
You mean everything apart from rice , and leo beer then your correct . the truth is Thailand is not cheap and the wage the people are payed is rediculous compared to the price of living .
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

trapper sock permabanned
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic