My most recent experience at everyone's favourite visa agent

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: My most recent experience at everyone's favourite visa agent

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:52 pm Sad update Stroppy, but thanks for your factual recounting. Did you deal with the old lady owner or one of her staff?
Both, actually, as well as the male owner. The old lady, the young lady, and the male owner all quoted varying amounts to be refunded to me on the driver's license, but there was consensus on the other issue. They were careful to not speak too much Khmer in front of me, they're still not sure what my language level is, and I'm in no hurry to let them know.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:50 pm I've just glanced over this, but I honestly think you're in the wrong...
Kudos for this approach, by the way.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

What is your language level?
You said earlier they were replying in pidgin English so one would assume you were also speaking English, or rather Australian!

Did you have a Khmer friend with you? That always helps.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Last time I went in that shop was about 3 years ago for a visa. The daughter/relative must have taken the hump with me telling her how I first went in the shop in 2002 to rent a dirt bike. I was reflecting about all the knocked off motorbikes her dad had in his house back then. He showed me three floors full of them. All knocked off from either Japan or Thailand he said. Of course, i never told her that i knew they were knocked off. She wanted me to pay for the visa before I picked it up. Lol.. Haven't used them since.
It's funny how criminals take offense even when you aren't calling them out on their activities, and make out you are the untrustworthy one. That's those dodgy cnuts on tof through and through.
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
See crook!!!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:21 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:50 pm I've just glanced over this, but I honestly think you're in the wrong. You complain about the 25-35 for the license. Then just do it yourself. It's $10... If you know it's ten and want to pay ten, don't go see an agent. They're there for your convenience and to make money. Same goes for the WP.
Always happy to be wrong, but you might have misread my post in this instance. I wasn't complaining about the $35 for the license, I happily paid this agent that much initially to do the job for me as I couldn't be bothered doing it myself. My point is that they are now no longer able to do it due to a change in process, and are only looking to refund the $10 that the license actually costs, for me to take to Licensing and do it myself. You might be fine with that, I'm not.

Not sure what your point is on the WP - are you suggesting I go to Immigration and work through the WP application? Would, but literally don't have the time, and so am prepared to pay an agent their cut to do it - but I'm not prepared to be obviously extorted. A deeper reading of my post should clearly show the agent is planning to stiff me for 50% of WP costs for all previous years, unrelated to Immigration. If I have to pay, I have to pay - if I'm being scammed, not so much. Again, your view/experience may vary.
Lexus is sounding more and more like a guy that rides all over Cambodia on his gay dirt bikes defending the dishonest.
See crook!!!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"She wanted me to pay for the visa before I picked it up. Lol.. Haven't used them since."

It has always been a pay up front service.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

So you've never had a work permit, and now want a work permit, but don't want to pay the fine you are liable for, and also don't want to cut a deal via the agent representing you to cut a deal?

Not sure what you expect. Take the chance of getting out with a 50% discount find another agent, or do it yourself and pay whatever you're able to negotiate.

If you've got competent staff, why not send them direct to sort this out?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

epidemiks wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:52 pm So you've never had a work permit, and now want a work permit, but don't want to pay the fine you are liable for, and also don't want to cut a deal via the agent representing you to cut a deal?
Yeah, that's exactly what I said. No, wait, no it isn't.

As a business owner and an employer who doesn't take an income (that is, I run a social enterprise) I have not been required to have a WP.

Now I'm teaching for income, I am required to have a WP. I am not currently required to pay a fine for previous years here, in which I did not earn an income.

I'm not sure why this is difficult for you to understand, but carry on mocking...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:04 pm
epidemiks wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:52 pm So you've never had a work permit, and now want a work permit, but don't want to pay the fine you are liable for, and also don't want to cut a deal via the agent representing you to cut a deal?

As a business owner and an employer who doesn't take an income (that is, I run a social enterprise) I have not been required to have a WP.

Now I'm teaching for income, I am required to have a WP. I am not currently required to pay a fine for previous years here, in which I did not earn an income.

I'm not sure why this is difficult for you to understand, but carry on mocking...
Stroppy no incoming income. But still working, would need a work permit.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:09 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Stroppy no incoming income. But still working, would need a work permit.
Now, definitely. But that hasn't been the condition until recently.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic